Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the Cruze in my family is my wifes '13 1.4L with a slush box. Her air conditioning, well basically sucks. It's fully charged, but just doesn't put out cold air. Just cool to like moderately cool. Is this a common issue on these cars? If so what's the conscience to fix this if any?

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Thats a tough one......especially since I know Louisiana weather.....I don't know how any A/C keeps up with your heat and humidity.

The Cruze uses a comparatively small compressor, so it doesn't move quite as much refrigerant as a larger system.
I've noticed that in around town/stop and go conditions= lower engine speed, lower compressor speed, less cool air running across the condenser conditions result in less than stellar cooling capabilities.

That being said, out on the highway, regardless of temperature and humidity, it does succeed in reaching the coolness I expect.....but takes a few miles to achieve it.

One thought though.....take a look at your cabin filter.....these things load up with debris in a hurry and yours may be restricting air flow into the cabin.
When I changed mine I was surprised at the improvement.......you don't realize it is loading up because it is such a slow loss...then you replace it and......good grief....didn't think it had gotten that bad!

On another note, I found that to give it a head start I run it in the recirculate mode for the first five minutes and then switch to outside air.

Bout the best I can do from 900 miles North.

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was figuring on the small engine, small system especially compared to my trucks, which keeps up with the hellish temperatures down here. I will have to check the cabin air filter didn't even think about that

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,548 Posts
Many Cruze owners have found theirs to be undercharged or at the very lower limits of the spec from the factory. Once charging mine to spec, I was able to keep it on fan speed 1 or 2 in 95 deg temps going down the highway and be quite comfortable (and my car is black on black interior).

Others have found that their recirculate flap was not closing entirely (the Cruze will automatically engage the recirculating damper when the AC knob is set to the coolest setting).

That said, many car AC systems these days are no longer hugely oversized like they used to be - saves fuel and a load on the engine, but they just don't cool down the car as fast as they used to.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
I was figuring on the small engine, small system especially compared to my trucks, which keeps up with the hellish temperatures down here. I will have to check the cabin air filter didn't even think about that
Quite true.....my fleet includes a 97 Silverado.....blows ice cubes.
Same compressor as a Suburban with only one third the interior volume.......really spoils you.

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
jblackburn- I'll check the pressure again, but if it's loosing pressure, generally freon would be escaping pointing to a leak. 134a.. whatever it is.

Rob- the a/c in my '95 doesnt work (accumulator is dead), and it has the old freon compressor that just shot with the new stuff, but that WD-40 in a standard cab works just fine! lol (windows down- 40mph)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts