Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
How bad does it shake the car? Mine it definitely shakes a little bit and makes it idle a little rougher. Changing to the Copper NGK spark plugs helped smooth it out a lot. Remember that engine only makes probably 20 HP at idle and the AC compressor takes about 5 horsepower to run.

Speaking of which, have you changed your spark plugs? If your motor isn't running up to speed adding that extra load on it may be causing it to run even worse. Should be done at least by 60k on the stock spark plugs, if not sooner. You could be do for a new set.

Now, if its your compressor that's physically shaking and messing up other belt driven things like the water pump I'd say you probably have a compressor issue. Is the compressor making any noise?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Reading this through again, I'm thinking you are suffering from multiple problems. The part with the fan staying on is odd. If you are not getting a message saying engine overheating, then that fan should not be staying on. That sounds like a relay for the fan is going bad. There was a thread about this from a month or 2 ago.

The other part that is concerning is why are your spark plugs experiencing blow out so quickly? Iridium plugs should not be wearing that fast. If they are gapped at the stock .28, then they should be good for at least 45k.

The humming noise is normal for the compressor. If it sounds like an electrical humming noise, then you are fine. If its a loud grinding noise, then the bearings in the compressor are shot.

My advice would be to take in in the dealer for a diagnosis. My dealer charges like 60 bucks to do this. If it really is the compressor that is bad, you don't want it to totally fail or you will be replacing every part in that AC system. You would probably have to have a shop replace the compressor anyway, unless you have a way of evacuating the system and putting a vacuum on it after the compressor was replaced. This way you know what's wrong instead of playing guessing games.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.