Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the A/C really affects this car's economy, more so than others I've driven. Perhaps it's just a greater percentage of available power compared to a big V6.

Seems like I get a good 4 mpg better without it and the car is much quicker.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

I am glad though that it doesn't cycle on and off like some Japanese cars I've owned. That always drove me nuts.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...+1, the mpg really takes a hit when the a/c is running.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Pianoman, I haven't really noticed any difference in power or mileage with mine....The current tank of gas I'm on is showing 36.5 miles to the gallon. This last week has been really hot too. But I'm not a real hard driver. Highway speeds and abit on cruise.

·
Registered
207 Posts
mine doesn't seem to be affected too much power wise or mpg that I've noticed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have notice a change in the average mpg, it has been really hot. My car has been bellow the sticker mpg, by around 4mpg. I just changed to full synthetic oil thought that would help, also when turning from a dead stop with the air on high, i have to floor the car to make a turn to avoid getting hit by another car.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well, i I just got back from a road trip ti Virginia Beach and 've noticed a few things...the revs crop faster when the ac was running and I did notice a slight power and fuel economy drop.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's a big hit on mpg. For the hyper milers, accelerate with no a/c, and use internal air recirc switch to keep it cool. You can also toggle the a/c off manually for a couple of miles without getting that wet smell and feel I've gotten from other cars.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Since July 1, when I first took possesion of my ECO 6MT, it has been brutally hot so A/C has been on for most of the 650+ miles I have driven. I have managed to drive maybe two short times with the A/C off and the car is much stronger down low. I have observed that with the A/C on and any extra weight in the car (passenger) my ECO is really hurting for power on take off. I have not yet been able to compare mileage with A/C on vs A/C off. I will be ordering the Trifecta Tune towards the end of July. I really want to get at least a thousand miles on the car and do the first oil change to Mobil 1 before I install the tune.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I agree, I have the same issue. I'm no expert, but I live in Texas, so the AC is almost always on, at least on level 1. I wonder if turning off AC and just having air blow has the same effect? I'd like the trifecta tune, I just wouldn't know how to apply it. Anyway, I think GM could do something in an update to improve AC performance. I hate the car's lag which is way worse with the AC on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
secret might be method

I convinced the wife to start using ac, suggesting we use it a couple tanks & see what happens to mpg, then decide. & surprise, it looks to be killing mpg by 1ish. It's an ltz, so she'll set the stat to 72, which I think is modest, & it fairly quickly starts slowing down the fan, & I think her success in only giving up 1sh comes from that. The fan being on high seems to take much more power & presumably mpg, out of the engine, cert than than I'd have predicted. If the fan speed is high I notice power dropping, but if it's on lowish, to me, the car seems the same as no ac. This switched me from a 67er to a 72er & giving up 1 mpg seems a no brainer. We're halfway through the first tank of ethanol free gas now, using the ac, & dic predicts an alltime high 40.3 & i'm thinking we might see 37(actual) out of an ltz, w/the ac on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Never had anything noticable in power, when having the a/c on. I still average around 32 mpg, and its been **** hot lately here in Chicago, my a/c has been pumping and haven't really lost anything.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I never used my AC but it has been extremely hot here in NJ the past few days so Ive been using the air on the 3 setting and remote starting it (if its been sitting) and have only lost 1.5mpg. Its worth it to me when its 105+ and humid.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I'm in the Indianapolis area, and have a 40 mile 1 way trip to work. It's been hot enough here the last week to have the air on at 7 am. I have noticed the last 2 tanks my MPG has gone done a couple, but my city mileage increased during the weekends.

Before that though, I never noticed a difference between A/C and no A/C. I've run several long trips with and w/out it and netted more or less the same mileage.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Im sure the mpg have been affected, but I dont really see it too much. I still average about 37mpg (I do about 50/50 city, highway).
But I have noticed the drastic power drop when it is on. Especially starting from a 1st gear stop, almost like I need to spool the turbo a little before take off

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have really noticed a difference while running the AC on my LS. It is almost to the point where I have to shut the AC off when I have to accelerate from a dead stop. Plus, I am losing around 3 mpg with the air on.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Ive only noticed this when im first starting the car it seems to be peeved if you have the ac on for the first minute or so especially for me since im usually driving up a ramp.

In other words ive stalled it a few times trying to start in 2nd with the ac on on a fresh start.

Once its running however it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I try to keep my AC off until I hit the hwy and am at cruising speed 60-70 mph. Then I turn it on to recirculate with fan at 2 and notice no drop in mpg. Stop and go driving in the city with the AC on is a killer!

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
I think the Manual trans cars get hit a little more on driveabilty/ I didn't notice a huge difference in MPG but definitley saps alot of power on the low end

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I fail to see how running the fan at a higher setting will appreciably impact MPG. I mean, yes it's a small electrical load increase but does not change the operational load of the compressor if you are already running the A/C....
I would imagine it would be about equivalent to turning on the radio or the headlights....

am I off base here?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts