Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've been searching the manual to see if this is a feature or not, but my vehicle at times will automatically turn on the A/C when I first start the vehicle. Being as it's still winter weather, I won't even realize it until I start to notice that the auto start/stop is not working. Every time I look down and I see that orange light on the A/C button lit.

Does this sound like a feature or a issue maybe with software or something, the A/C Compressor turning on automatically without ever having pressed the button and it definitely not being on when the car was shut off?

It seems to happen randomly, not tied to outdoor temperature. I've had this happen when it was sub-40 degrees and happen when it was 50+ degrees.

Anyone else have/notice this issue/feature?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
Do you turn the fan completely off when you shut off the car? If so, it automatically turns on the A/C the next time the system is turned on. Annoying, but that's what it does. I think if you leave the fan on on the settings that you had before, it'll stay off.

Weirdly, unless you completely press Auto again, the "auto" climate control system on mine doesn't do that when you just hit the power button for the fan.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LT w/standard style HVAC controls, not auto climate.

Not sure if I normally turn the fan off, but I probably at times do turn it off when I get home, so it sounds like it's technically a feature then... albeit a stupid one IMO.lol I'll have to pay closer attention to what I do next few times I turn the car on/off.

·
10,712 Posts
Do you turn the fan completely off when you shut off the car? If so, it automatically turns on the A/C the next time the system is turned on. Annoying, but that's what it does. I think if you leave the fan on on the settings that you had before, it'll stay off.

Weirdly, unless you completely press Auto again, the "auto" climate control system on mine doesn't do that when you just hit the power button for the fan.
Is it just the fan speeds or does it mimic the whole A/C when on floor like Gen 1 did? Older cars windshield defrost only would light up the A/C button on start up, wondering if they slowly went back to that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure if the interior design is the same but i discovered i would inadvertantly bump the fan knob with my knee and turn it on without realising.

·
17,479 Posts
That's normal. There is a cabin humidity sensor.
In my experience with a new LT though, that wouldn't turn on the AC light. The air, when on cold and A/C button off, would just suddenly get cool while driving, suck out the humidity, and go back to fresh air again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
yes as a matter of fact it happened tonight on my 2016 premier,,it was very damp out and about 37 degrees f and i was driving home and looked over and saw the light on its the second time i have sen this since i got the car in january,,ill have to pay attention but you say it will shut off when the humidity goes down?

·
Registered
296 Posts
The automatic lights, locks, a/c, that can't be disabled are all very annoying. These things annoy me multiple times when I drive (start the car in the garage or drive in an underpass, lights click 'on', drive out of the garage or underpass, lights click 'off', pull the car into the garage, lights click 'on'...) (get in, drive a moment, locks click shut, a minute later try to get out, yank on the door handle and nothing happens). It's definitely something I'll consider next time I buy a car. When I bought it, didn't occur to me that such annoying stuff would not be user-settable in a 2017 car.

·
17,479 Posts
yes as a matter of fact it happened tonight on my 2016 premier,,it was very damp out and about 37 degrees f and i was driving home and looked over and saw the light on its the second time i have sen this since i got the car in january,,ill have to pay attention but you say it will shut off when the humidity goes down?
What I described wouldn't turn on the light, at least in the car I drove. Fresh air on, it would just get cold, drop the humidity, and go back to fresh air mode.

·
17,479 Posts
The automatic lights, locks, a/c, that can't be disabled are all very annoying. These things annoy me multiple times when I drive (start the car in the garage or drive in an underpass, lights click 'on', drive out of the garage or underpass, lights click 'off', pull the car into the garage, lights click 'on'...) (get in, drive a moment, locks click shut, a minute later try to get out, yank on the door handle and nothing happens). It's definitely something I'll consider next time I buy a car. When I bought it, didn't occur to me that such annoying stuff would not be user-settable in a 2017 car.
Pull door handle twice to unlock.

Auto lights and auto door locks have been standard on GM cars since the early 90s or so.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I am not sure if your issue is resolved or not, but I would like to add what I think is the same issue.

After starting the vehicle, I looked down and noticed the AC button is illuminated not with a green light, but a yellow light. I then press the button and the light turns green (turning on the AC I presume), then press it again and it turns off.

My car is a 2017 LT, no packages. I do not have auto climate control, and the AC was not turned on during the previous run. I have been driving it for two weeks, and it has happened twice.

Any ideas?

I

·
17,479 Posts
I am not sure if your issue is resolved or not, but I would like to add what I think is the same issue.

After starting the vehicle, I looked down and noticed the AC button is illuminated not with a green light, but a yellow light. I then press the button and the light turns green (turning on the AC I presume), then press it again and it turns off.

My car is a 2017 LT, no packages. I do not have auto climate control, and the AC was not turned on during the previous run. I have been driving it for two weeks, and it has happened twice.

Any ideas?

I
Orange = "max A/C" mode. Runs the engine at stops for A/C.
Green = "Eco A/C" mode. Lets the engine shut off until the evaporator warms up, then restarts. Will let the cabin rise a little bit more in temp before restarting. I'm not sure if this also reduces compressor output when running down the road for slight MPG benefit as on some other cars do as well.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Pull door handle twice to unlock.

Auto lights and auto door locks have been standard on GM cars since the early 90s or so.
Auto lights standard on GM models since the early 90's, are you sure. My only other GM product, a 93 Buick Century didn't have this technology and either did my 2004 Hyundai although the 2006 did. While GM offered the Twilight Sentinel on select Cadillac products in 1960, I'm not sure Auto Lights were standard in the early 90's?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The compressor (A/C) should run in defrost and blend (w/shield and floor) mode, I believe.

Rob

Side question: Can the DRL's be shut off like the genI? If so, it should disable the auto lamps (or, at least it did on genI.

·
17,479 Posts
Thanks, but...I did not turn the A/C on. Not this ride, or yesterday. Defrost?
Defrost will kick on the AC, but doesn't light up the AC button.

If the AC light is orange, it was turned on when you turned on the fan itself.

·
17,479 Posts
Auto lights standard on GM models since the early 90's, are you sure. My only other GM product, a 93 Buick Century didn't have this technology and either did my 2004 Hyundai although the 2006 did. While GM offered the Twilight Sentinel on select Cadillac products in 1960, I'm not sure Auto Lights were standard in the early 90's?
Late 90s then. Every 90s GM truck I drove had them, as did a neighbors Lumina. No idea if the cheaper things like Cavaliers did or not, never bothered to drive one.

The compressor (A/C) should run in defrost and blend (w/shield and floor) mode, I believe.

Rob

Side question: Can the DRL's be shut off like the genI? If so, it should disable the auto lamps (or, at least it did on genI.
DRLs are LED strips on the LT/Premier, but they can be turned off each drive by turning the wheel to the left at startup.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts