Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was reading through one day just how many inquiries we get about modifications for fuel economy and costs of different trims paying themselves back or if the Cruze will even help the financial situation of lurkers relative to their current cars. Then I thought, why test it out on a spreadsheet?

Attached is an excel spreadsheet I made specifically to quantify this issue so press that download button on the attachment!

Opening up the spreadsheet, I split it into two sheets: MPG Increase and % Increase. This is just for ease of use.

How does it work? Simply plug your values into the highlighted cells.

The MPG increase is easiest for those of us with a fuelly. All fields with inputs are highlighted. You plug in your current MPG and average fuel price from fuelly, your average annual mileage, the years you plan on owning the car, the cost of the modification, and the new projected MPG. The spreadsheet then calculates based off the current fuel price, an average annual inflation rate of 2.7% (the average inflation increase from 1990-Present), your estimated annual mileage, and the cost of the modification to return your savings (or lack thereoff) through adding this modification. It is not limited to fuel economy mods, as one could easy use 0 and just compare how much money you save by trying to get just 1 or 2 MPG per tank through driving habits. You could also use this sheet if you plan on trading in your current vehicle for a Cruze (again, helpful if you have fuelly for that vehicle). The mod cost then simply becomes your financial hit. Try comparing how much money you save by purchasing your Cruze instead of a Volt or Prius! LOL

The second sheet is a percentage increase. This is more useful for driving techniques, since fuel economy.gov gives a lot of percentage increase values for driving habits. +5 psi of tire pressure for example, is a difference of 3.3% in fuel economy, which can really add up over time.

Now I must discuss the error, obviously. Disclaimer: Many factors can effect fuel economy so this is not an exact science we are working with here! EPA estimates are not exact, and it is also tough to measure the affect each mod can have on your fuel economy.

Example #1: You drive 20,000 miles per year at a current fuel price of $3.90 / gallon. You currently get 29 MPG because you have a bit of a lead foot. You make a concerted effort to drive more conservatively and now average 31 MPG. Over 5 years and 100,000 miles you will save almost $900 in fuel! In just one year, you will save $180 in fuel! In one month, you will save about $15 in fuel!

Example #2: Suppose you are cross-shopping a Cruze Eco Automatic, and a Toyota Prius 2. The price difference OTD is $3285 ($24,000 vs. $20,715). Assuming you actually use the EPA combined ratings and the similar 55% city / 45% highway split, and drive 15,000 miles / year for 5 years at a starting fuel price of $3.90 you would end up saving $300 by purchasing the Prius! However, lets assume your driving 90% highway and can meet the EPA highway rating (39 for Eco Auto, 47 for Prius). Let us also assume you drive 25,000 miles / year for 5 years. You actually save $1,157 buy purchasing the Eco Auto! Interesting, huh?

Have fun!

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Thank you. Quick and easy to use.

·
Registered
108 Posts
May I suggest that you host this in google docs? When set to public read access it will make it faster to open up and read.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Great job! Thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Very intresting this sheet :)

I made something similar to compare fuel Vs gas, it includes Km/liter conversion between DIC (fuel consumption) and gas consumption.

View attachment 5787

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
my file is rar... but the forum doesnt recognize it, then I changed rar to zip extension manually... I was wrong? :D

reuploaded in zip mode

View attachment 5796
That would explain it. Windows doesn't know about RAR files. 7-Zip does.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts