Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is kind of a long post, but I've been skimming over a few forums (this site's forums in particular) while doing some research on tuning. I had a couple of things I was wondering about doing something like the Trifecta tune. Bear with me, 'cause I know some of this is probably going to sound dumb. Thanks in advance!

Right now I've got a stock 2013 Cruze 1LT (1.4L) Automatic (and I only use 93 if that matters). I really like it, but I feel like the car is kind of... sleepy. I definitely can't say I'm a car enthusiast or anything like that, but I can definitely notice that the transmission could use a little refinement, because it feels like it's shifting too late. Also, I never really floor it, but after the little surge of power in the beginning around 1800RPM, the engine feels like it loses most of its pep until it shifts back into that range. I guess for all intents and purposes what I'm asking is: what does a tune mostly do to the feel of the car?

Secondly, how is the reliability on getting a tune? I know that the guys who do the Trifecta tune will work with you to dial in the balance of what you want. I'm not looking for a massive improvement in 0-60 times or anything, but a little more power would be nice. I'm mainly concerned about keeping the tune on a car which gets 1,500+ miles a month. I don't have a lead foot, but I'll get a little cocky every now and then around a green light.

I've been a little worried about my car being completely from-the-factory stock as well. Does a tune require any kind of mods to the car, or will it help even if the car is stock?

Also, for the Trifecta tune specifically, how long does it generally take after an order is placed to get a tune and software emailed back? That's not really an important question, but I'm curious how long it takes.

Sorry for the awful wording of what I'm asking. I'll definitely try to word it better if I'm asked something different. Thanks for any help or opinions!

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
OK I will try this as I have a 2012 "Eco Manual"
From what I have read and heard over the years: The tune will resolve some of the shifting issues. and the surge is caused by the turbo kicking in @2000 RPMs. The tune will definitely give the car a "stronger feel" that it does not fall on its face as much. Changing the shifting points will help this dramatically.

Reliability: Jerry at BNR is very good at delivering the tune within a couple of weeks. After it is delivered and installed, they will read the data log of the installation and make any necessary changes. The tune will give you the power you are looking for!

Stock: my car is stock also except for the tune and tune wakes up the car dramatically.

As I said it will take a couple of weeks to get the tune delivered and installation takes @ 30 min.

Sounds like you are a good candidate for the tune and it will give you what you are looking for. After installing the tune, you may wonder how did I drive this car without it.

Hope that answers your questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! That pretty much covers most of the questions I could think of. Kinda surprised it takes a couple weeks to get a tune back after placing an order, but it's probably a good idea for the sake of getting it right.

Not that it's really important or anything, but how does going from stock to stock + tune affect the 0-60 times? I'm not gonna be doing races or anything with the car, but I'm curious if it really helps with acceleration a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Thanks for the reply! That pretty much covers most of the questions I could think of. Kinda surprised it takes a couple weeks to get a tune back after placing an order, but it's probably a good idea for the sake of getting it right.

Not that it's really important or anything, but how does going from stock to stock + tune affect the 0-60 times? I'm not gonna be doing races or anything with the car, but I'm curious if it really helps with acceleration a lot.
It takes a couple of weeks because the tune is specific to your car, not something they have laying around.

since the tune adds about 20-40 or so horsepower, it will decrease 0-60 times.

·
Registered
990 Posts
If you don't want to wait try a local tuner with efilive or Hptuners

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry if it sounded like I was in a rush. I'm definitely fine with waiting since it's a custom-tailored modification. I just wasn't sure if a few weeks was the time to get an initial tune sent to me, or if it was about the total time it'll take if the tune needed some tweaking. Either is okay with me, like I said I'm just bad at wording stuff, haha.

I really appreciate the help!

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Sorry if it sounded like I was in a rush. I'm definitely fine with waiting since it's a custom-tailored modification. I just wasn't sure if a few weeks was the time to get an initial tune sent to me, or if it was about the total time it'll take if the tune needed some tweaking. Either is okay with me, like I said I'm just bad at wording stuff, haha.

I really appreciate the help!
not 100% sure, as I have not gotten a tune myself (yet) but I think that is the time for the initial tune to be sent. I believe tweaks are much quicker.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've had the Vermont Tuning tune on mine for 15K miles now, with no issues (can only get 91 Oct here). The appeal to me with the "Stage 0" VTuner mod is that it is designed specifically to keep the turbo and the transmission within their design limits, just pushing the normal operation closer to those limits. With any mod - or without a mod, if you beat on the car repeatedly, there may well be a price to pay in the long run.

After some experimenting, I've found the power tune with the stock transmission tune works well for me. I tried the sport transmission tune, but it was a little too firm on the shifts for my liking, even if it was a tiny bit faster. The area I live in is fairly hilly in spots too, and I've just resorted to manual shifting a fair amount of the time. I like that I've got all the tunes on the programming unit that I own, and can switch back to stock tune in less than a minute, without needing to fish out a laptop.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I went from a 9.6 sec 0 to 60 to a 7.7 sec Vtuned

1 - 11 of 11 Posts