Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the wife has decided she wants to get some better MPG to work. So she will be retiring her TL, for an ECO Cruze we believe. We drove pretty much everything in the same class, Then the new Fusion, and a couple others. The Cruze was by far they one that handled the best. May not had the most plush interior but very acceptable. The only Knock that I had on the car was for having almost identical specs for rear seat space. My kids were more crampt in the cruze than some of the competitors.

So I had a few questions for guys. We have 2 kids, and if you have kids you know they get stuff in the car no matter how careful the are. With leather its just a quick wipe and no harm no foul. With cloth its a different story. For you cloth owners, How does the grey cloth clean up? I was hoping to go with the black cloth, but the idea of the cloth and all the little fuzzies that stuck to the dash section was a no go for me, it does look sharp though.

For those of you with the blind spot mirrors, Can you set them up to beep or a chime when they are activated. We drove a caravan that when you signaled and you had a car in the blind spot it would give you a ding, and flash the mirror for you, of course you could disable it if you wanted. Dealer did not know the answer to that one.

Blue Topaz owners, Do you find the car shows dust and grime like a black car. I understand darker cars look dirtier than lighter colors, but the wife thinks it will be as bad as black. Her friend had a blue car and said nooo, its dirty. I just think she was a pig and never washed her car.

Lastly, Any advice or something that you did not know about them before you purchased. I know about the antifreeze issue, so that is currently the only hold up. The wife has this uncanny ability to smell things that most people dont about 5 minutes before anybody else. So if the car is going to have the smell. She will notice it. So I'm trying to find out if we ordered a new cruze, or if GM and when they addressed the grease issue on the assembly line already.

Thanks for your time.

RS

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have 3 kids, ages 13, 11, and 8. I would not want to go on a 2 hour trip, but for running around town, they fit fine. When I was first shopping, I was looking for silver/black, I don't really care for grey interiors. However, I found a Glacier Blue/Grey combination on a dealer lot and that's what I wound up buying. I don't regret it, I wound up liking the grey interior, the contrast makes the cabin seem larger. Surprisingly, I don't have much trouble keeping the seats clean, even with a dog with muddy paws. I do put a towel down if the dog is in the car but the fabric seems to repel dirt pretty well. Also, on my grey car, the grey on the dash is not fabric but vinyl so it wipes right off.

I can't answer the dark color issue as Glacier Blue is a lighter silver-blue. I do like that it doesn't show the dirt as much even though I keep it pretty clean.

Also, I believe most of the production issues have been resolved. I have read about all of the issues on the forum here but I have not had any of them. Mine is a later production 2012 and I have never smelled even a little bit of antifreeze smell. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your purchase. I really like my Eco.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DMC,

Thanks for the reply. The Antifreeze smell is the owner thing holding this deal up right now, As soon as I can reliable confirm the newer production stopped using the grease at issue. We just have to decide between the blue topaz (me) and Atlantis blue (her) and either the all grey or grey/back interior. Then of course trying to find one. My wife is like a savant when it comes to her senses so I don't need to have the dash ripped out of a new car. Cause she will hear ever rattle from that point on. Its a curse she says. I'm glad I don't hear half the things she can. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The black cloth is...well, black.

I had a bottle of sunscreen over-pressurize and the top popped in the back seat last summer. I've cleaned it several times and it still looks like a massive splooge stain on the black cloth. Awkward as all **** when your GF's parents get in your car.....lol

But anyway, the cloth in the cruze isn't worse than any other black cloth, just by nature it's hard to keep it looking great.

·
Administrator
15,743 Posts
Lastly, Any advice or something that you did not know about them before you purchased. I know about the antifreeze issue, so that is currently the only hold up. The wife has this uncanny ability to smell things that most people dont about 5 minutes before anybody else. So if the car is going to have the smell. She will notice it. So I'm trying to find out if we ordered a new cruze, or if GM and when they addressed the grease issue on the assembly line already.

Thanks for your time.

RS
GM has been producing cars with the fix for a little while not. 2 weeks ago, the number was around 200 cars with the new fix. Technically, it's not an antifreeze issue, but a grease issue inside the HVAC box. The fix is to replace the grease. It just smells similar enough to antifreeze that it's the first thing people thought of. I wouldn't make my purchasing decisions around that as it's not a safety risk. Worst case, you'll have to take your car in to have the service performed and GM will give you a rental in the mean time.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Pull the trigger...................

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Xtreme, I guess I should have said grease not atifreeze, but I have read that TSB, Was more concerned that the wife smells everything then I have to take it in for the TSB, Then I get some mystery rattle and then I have to fight with the dealer cause they can't find it and the wife will drive me nuts. So if I can get a new production with out worrying about it then that makes my life easier.

We are going to get one. Now finding what she wan's. I'm trying to talk her into the blue topaz, she wants the Blue Atlantis. I'll keep you posted. Do you have any idea what production date they started with the "fix" on the line.

·
Administrator
15,743 Posts
Xtreme, I guess I should have said grease not atifreeze, but I have read that TSB, Was more concerned that the wife smells everything then I have to take it in for the TSB, Then I get some mystery rattle and then I have to fight with the dealer cause they can't find it and the wife will drive me nuts. So if I can get a new production with out worrying about it then that makes my life easier.

We are going to get one. Now finding what she wan's. I'm trying to talk her into the blue topaz, she wants the Blue Atlantis. I'll keep you posted. Do you have any idea what production date they started with the "fix" on the line.
They implemented the fix early to mid March on new production Cruzes. There's a good chance if you built one made in March that it will have the fix done. The only way to be 100% sure at this point in time would be to custom order one and wait to have it built.

I wouldn't worry about the rattles. The dash should come out fairly cleanly.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
I have the Topaz and from a distance you cant see ANYTHING dirt wise. Clearly when it is clean it SHINES and looks better but it is great even when dirty. Scope my garage pics, car has been on some gravel and grass and sand etc, there are streamlines running my hood but in the pics, nothing. Will be washing asap before someone gets mad at me for abusing my car lolol. Great car very happy with it, just get one!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Just went back and checked my emails. On March 21st, they had about 200 cars built with the new grease.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
From what I was told, the last day to have a 2013 Cruze special ordered was March 22nd. So only the Cruzen to have been built on or after March 21st have the antifreeze smell fix? I put in a order for a factory ordered cruze around the first week or so of March if I recall correctly, so would it likely have or not have the new fix?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ok So we settled on the car. Crystal Red with titanium interior just don't like the mesh on the dash that comes with the other 2 choices. . Wish you could get the black/titanium two toned interior. Now we can't find one. So I guess were going to have to order it. They said about 3-4 weeks. I'm thinking longer anybody have any info on that.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Crystal Red with titanium interior just don't like the mesh on the dash.
My Black Granite Metallic ECO has the titanium interior no mesh on the dash but it is a 2011. I really like the look of the grey interior in my ECO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts