Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

A list of problems identified by GM

31K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  money_man 
#1 · (Edited)
Reference list,

Car Problems ›› CHEVROLET CRUZE Problems
CHEVROLET CRUZE problems specifically investigations of vehicle defects by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration NHTSA a U.S. government agency or any Technical Service Bulletins issued by CHEVROLET regarding particular issues. Some NHTSA defect investigations that ha (more ...)
SHOW FILTER

Year Make Model Type Date
2013 CHEVROLET CRUZE Technical Service Bulletin 2012/09/01 NHTSA #: 10047279
Service Bulletin #: PB-12187-A
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: SOFTWARE: BUICK/CADILLAC/CHEVROLET/GMC: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. SOFTWARE PROBLEM FAILS TO WORK, AS INTENDED, IN AUTOMATIC CRASH RESPONSE SYSTEM AND MAY NOT MEET SEVERITY PARAMETERS FOR CRASH NOTIFICATION IN CERTAIN REAR END CR

2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE Technical Service Bulletin 2012/02/01 NHTSA #: 10043666
Service Bulletin #: PIE-0210
ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE: CHEVROLET: VEHICLE WOULD HAVE REDUCED ENGINE POWER OR ENGINE IS RUNNING ROUGH. MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) MAY ILLUMINATE. *PE

2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE Technical Service Bulletin 2012/04/01 NHTSA #: 10044221
Service Bulletin #: SB-12063
SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:pEDALS AND LINKAGES: CHEVROLET: ON CERTAIN MODEL YEAR CRUZE AND ORLANDO VEHICLES, SERVICE PROCEDURE BEEN PROVIDED REGARDING ELECTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL MODULE (EBCM) CONCERNING UNEVEN PEDAL FEEL AT HIGH SPEED ABS BRAKING. *PE

2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE Technical Service Bulletin 2012/04/04 NHTSA #: 10043487
Service Bulletin #: PIP-4624-M
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION: CHEVROLET/BUICK/GMC: RESTRICTION, THROUGH THE PQC, HAS BEEN PLACED ON THE VALVE CONTROL SOLENOID (TEHCM) P/N 24256524 AND 24265367, TO ASSIST ENGINEERING FEEDBACK PRODUCT. *PE

SERVICE BRAKES, AIR:ANTILOCK: CHEVROLET: ON CERTAIN MODEL YEAR CRUZE AND ORLANDO VEHICLES, SERVICE PROCEDURE BEEN PROVIDED REGARDING ELECTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL MODULE (EBCM) CONCERNING UNEVEN PEDAL FEEL AT HIGH SPEED ABS BRAKING. *PE

2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE Technical Service Bulletin 2012/04/17 NHTSA #: 10043647
Service Bulletin #: PI-0324-C
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION: GMC/CHEVROLET/BUICK: TRANSMISSION PUMP NEEDS INSPECTING DUE TO ENGINE CRANKING BUT FAILS TO START, HAS NO FORWARD, NO REVERSE, TRANSMISSION LEAKS, HARD SHIFT AND NO CRANKING. *PE

2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE Technical Service Bulletin 2012/02/01 NHTSA #: 10043629
Service Bulletin #: PI-0671
STEERING:HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST:pUMP: GENERAL MOTORS: RESERVOIR FOR POWER STEERING FLUID IS HEAT DAMAGED AND LEAKING. MAY CAUSED PROBLEMS WITH POWER STEERING PUMP. *PE

2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE Technical Service Bulletin 2012/02/01 NHTSA #: 10043476
Service Bulletin #: SB-12015
AIR BAGS:FRONTAL:DRIVER SIDE INFLATOR MODULE: CHEVROLET: THE RETAINERS ON DRIVER'S SIDE AIRBAG MODULE MAY NOT FULLY ENGAGE, IN STEERING WHEEL, DUE TO INTERFERENCE OF A FELT INSULATOR PATCH. *PE UPDATED ON 5/1/2012. *KB

2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE Defect Investigation Open 2012/03/28 - Close 2012/07/19 NHTSA #: PE12010
NHTSA Recall #: 12V288000
ENGINE: In a June 21, 2012 letter to NHTSA, General Motors LLC. (GM) submitted a Defect Information Report (DIR) identifying a defect in approximately 413,148 model year (MY) 2011 through 2012 Chevrolet Cruze vehicles manufactured from October 2, 2009 through May 31, 2012 (Recall 12V-288). According to GM, engine oil change procedures can result in spilling or dripping of oil on the engine shield.Also, manual transmission vehicles with a completely worn clutch may cause hydraulic fluid to be expelled from the clutch housing vent hole.If oil, debris or the burning hydraulic fluid contacts hot engine or exhaust system surfaces, and the engine shield, the shield may ignite and burn, leading to a possible engine compartment or vehicle fire.GM and its engine shield supplier, Hanwha, modified the engine shield to address factors that may contribute to engine compartment fire. The redesigned shields were completely implemented in production vehicles by June 2012.The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) analyzed complaint data provided by GM as well as complaints submitted to ODI from consumers. In total, there were 25 unique Chevrolet Cruze reports indicating hot surface ignition due to engine oil or hydraulic fluid contacting hot manifold, exhaust surfaces and the engine shield.Four additional fires were identified that resulted from other or unknown causes, including 1 attributed to a missing oil filler cap.Three fires of unknown cause all involved vehicles equipped with 1.4L L4 turbocharged engines.ODI will continue to monitor field experience in Cruze vehicles equipped with that engine.Owners of the recalled vehicles are notified to take their vehicle to a GM dealer, who will modify the engine shield to prevent oil fluids from contacting the shield.Also, on vehicles with a manual transmission, dealers are to apply a protective tape to the electronic power steering wire harness to prevent any incidents related to this issue. This preliminary evaluation is closed.The ODI reports cited above can be viewed at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints under the following identification numbers (ODI Nos.): 10456338, 10453754, 10450556, 10446718.

2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE Technical Service Bulletin 2012/02/01 NHTSA #: 10043629
Service Bulletin #: PI-0671
STEERING:HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST:pOWER STEERING FLUID: GENERAL MOTORS: RESERVOIR FOR POWER STEERING FLUID IS HEAT DAMAGED AND LEAKING. MAY CAUSED PROBLEMS WITH POWER STEERING PUMP. *PE

2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE Technical Service Bulletin 2011/11/01 NHTSA #: 10042989
Service Bulletin #: SB-11275-A
EQUIPMENT ADAPTIVE: BUICK/CADILLAC/CHEVROLET/GMC: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. INFORMATION REGARDING CERTAIN VEHICLES RECEIVED BY DEALERSHIP WITHOUT THE CARPETED FLOOR MATS. *PE
2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE Technical Service Bulletin 2011/12/01 NHTSA #: 10043315
Service Bulletin #: PI-0626
AIR BAGS:FRONTAL:DRIVER SIDE INFLATOR MODULE: BUICK/CHEVROLET: IT IS HARD TO REMOVE DRIVER'S SIDE AIR BAG DUE TO REVISED SPRING DESIGN, WHICH CAUSES HIGHER RETAINING FORCE BETWEEN DRIVER'S SIDE AIR BAG AND STEERING WHEEL. *PE
2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE Technical Service Bulletin 2012/04/01 NHTSA #: 10044235
Service Bulletin #: PIC5598D
STEERING:ELECTRIC POWER ASSIST SYSTEM: GM: GUIDELINES FOR NJ1 POWER STEERING POWERPACK (MODULE) REPLACEMENT AND PARTS RESTRICTION INSTRUCTIONS. *JS
2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE Technical Service Bulletin 2012/11/01 NHTSA #: 10050279
Service Bulletin #: PI-0851
ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:GASOLINE:TURBO-CHARGER: CHEVROLET: THE OIL FEED PIPE NEEDS CHECKING AND REPLACED. IF RESTRICTED, AND TURBOCHARGER ASSEMBLY SHOULD BE REMOVED AND REPLACED, AND THE ECM SHOULD BE VERIFIED FOR LATEST CALIBRATION TO ALLOW TURBOCHARGE TO COOL, TO REDUCE LIKELIHOOD O
SERVICE BRAKES, AIR:ANTILOCK:CONTROL UNIT/MODULE: CHEVROLET: ON CERTAIN MODEL YEAR CRUZE AND ORLANDO VEHICLES, SERVICE PROCEDURE BEEN PROVIDED REGARDING ELECTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL MODULE (EBCM) CONCERNING UNEVEN PEDAL FEEL AT HIGH SPEED ABS BRAKING. *PE

2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE Technical Service Bulletin 2012/06/01 NHTSA #: 10044388
Service Bulletin #: PIP-5023
ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:GASOLINE:TURBO-CHARGER: GM: MIL DUE TO DTC P0299- TURBOCHARGER UNDERBOOST DTC- INSPECT FOR TURBOCHARGER WASTE PIVOT PIN WEAR. THIS MAY BE THE RESULT OF A WORN WASTEGATE ACTUATOR PIVOT PIN (3), ALLOWING THE WASTEGATE TO OPEN WHEN IT SHOULD BE CLOSED. *JS UPDA

2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE Technical Service Bulletin 2012/11/01 NHTSA #: 10050279
Service Bulletin #: PI-0851
ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:OTHER FUEL TYPES:TURBO-CHARGER: CHEVROLET: THE OIL FEED PIPE NEEDS CHECKING AND REPLACED. IF RESTRICTED, AND TURBOCHARGER ASSEMBLY SHOULD BE REMOVED AND REPLACED, AND THE ECM SHOULD BE VERIFIED FOR LATEST CALIBRATION TO ALLOW TURBOCHARGE TO COOL, TO REDUCE LIKELIHOOD O

2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE Technical Service Bulletin 2012/11/01 NHTSA #: 10050259
Service Bulletin #: PI-0850
(PWS): CHEVROLET: SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON WHEN RUNNING ROUGH OR WHISTLING NOISE COMING FROM ENGINE COMPARTMENT, MAY BE DUE TO POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION (PCV) VACUUM LEAK ON CAMSHAFT COVER. MODEL 2011-2012 CRUZE. *PE

2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE Technical Service Bulletin 2012/03/01 NHTSA #: 10043890
Service Bulletin #: PI0670B
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:LEVER AND LINKAGE:COLUMN SHIFT: GM: DIAGNOSTIC TIPS FOR DTC P0776, SLIPS WHEN REVERSE IS SELECTED OR NO REVERSE. SLIP OR FLARE WHEN SHIFTING INTO THIRD/ FIFTH GEAR OR NO THIRD/FIFTH GEAR. ALSO INCLUDED MODEL CHEVROLET CAPTIVA SPORT MODEL YEAR 2012. MODEL CHEVROLET ORLANDO

2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE Technical Service Bulletin 2012/05/01 NHTSA #: 10044395
Service Bulletin #: PI-0733
AIR BAGS: GM: POWER SEAT FUNCTIONS INOPERATIVE AND AIRBAG LIGHT ILLUMINATED. THESE CONDITIONS MAY BE DUE TO SEAT HARNESS, WHICH IS CONNECTED TO THE MAIN BODY WIRE HARNESS LOCATED UNDER THE SEAT, BEING PINCHED IN THE SEAT TRACKS, CAUSING IT TO BE CHAF
Page 1 Next >>

Source: NHTSA - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
i will note that some of these were identified by GM. the engine fire problem had more to do with poor service by mechanics who were sloppy in their work and GM had the call back to prevent any further problems.

I will add to this that i have had my car for over a year and HAD NO ISSUES WITH IT, it is running perfectly for the last 11,200 miles and only goes in for oil change and tire rotation. For any buyers looking at this thread understand this is a small sample of people.

Thank you for posting this so people have a easy place to see if any problems are occurring

Reactions: Snoball
#3 ·
And other than an attempt to scare off potential Cruze buyers - your point is ???

Other than a couple of major recalls most Cruzen will never have any of these issues. All car manufacturers have hundreds of TSBs for their vehicles. Many of them only apply to a handful of cars. My Pontiac Montana even had a one vehicle TSB filed.

By the way you missed the complaint from one idiot who decided they couldn't see well enough during a test drive so they filed a NHTSA complaint about visibility.

#4 ·
For everyone - here's the gist of my reply to 70AARCUDA and I do appreciate the PM.

TSBs exist because the manufacturing process for a car is not perfect. What we cannot tell from most TSBs is how many cars are potentially impacted. In some cases even the car manufacturer may not know. Even if every single component in a car is manufactured and installed within engineering specs, it is still possible for a problem to occur. This is because many of these specs have overlap areas. A perfect example of this is the fuel rails rubbing against the firewall. Both are probably located within the engineering specs for the car but the specs themselves overlap just enough that a very small number of cars will have this issue. In addition, as soon as a GM engineer gets involved a TSB is filed with the NHTSA documenting both the symptoms and the solution. Two years after the TSB for my Montana was filed it still had my Montana's VIN number associated with it, which is how I know it was a single vehicle TSB. The problem descripton and solution on my paperwork matched word for word what was in the TSB.

===================
Not in my reply and why I questioned the purpose of posting these TSBs.

The NHTSA database is useful for helping resolve issues. The problem is that cars are probably the most complex single piece of consumer technology most of us will ever have to deal with and self diagnosis using this repository is somewhat like self diagnosis of medical issues; problematic at best and outright dangerous at worst. Your best solution is to find a good dealership service department and develop a good working relationship with your service adviser and his boss. Then if you have an issue that's perplexing them they'll be more willing to listen to what you find on-line and look further into the results of your research.

#5 ·
No! I had no intention in preventing future or current owners of the Cruze!

I own a Cruze, and have since Feb.2012, with no incidents! Everything works the way it's suppose to, a truly great car, I love my CruzeR, I highly recommend it!

My intention here was to provide a refrence list for owners that may have a quirk or two with there car and that GM is capable of resolving their issues!

No offence was meant in posting this list! Sorry if it was!

#7 ·
That is a strange TSB for a electrically controlled power steering. However, the steering gear needs some lubricant so I suspect there is a small oil reservoir inside the power steering system and this is what the TSB is referring to.

#8 ·
you should see the list of tsb's for the toyota corolla and honda civic both of which are in the cruze class

Reactions: iCruze2
#9 ·
you should look at the Volkswagen future issue list, family had one... everyother week it had a check engine light BUT never had any codes once at the dealer ... their electronics have more problems then a teenager in highschool

#10 ·
I cant hold my tongue anymore and im going to make this clear to everyone thats saying this BS...I read this line of crap that shows the list of problems with the cruze...If its from GM themself thats one thing because they obviously know whats going on since they were the ones that made the car. However. Ive said it before and will say it again..Not every car is gonna be perfect, so everyone needs to get that out of their thick heads right now because it probably wont ever happen. I hear alot of these so called "good cars" that apparently ford, dodge, toyota and nissan make and im tired of seeing it and hearing it. No other company is better than another. GM to me is a really good company...better than ford and dodge by a long shot. I know gm isnt perfect and neither is anyone else, but to me gm has alot more success than everyone else has had. Ive had my cruze LT for 8 months now with 8K on it... NO ISSUES at all other than a faulty wheel stud. Went ahead and replaced all 20..which wasnt a big deal. It was easy. So my point here is...since there is sooo much drama and **** talking on here about the cruze and GM, then get rid of ur car and be done with it. All of us proud gm owners love our cars and dont seem to be having any issues with them and here "you" are ruining everything that has to do with us and our cars by putting ur 2 cents in that we dont really care to hear. Atleast i dont. Im not trying to be an ******* but this pisses me off. Theres a fine line between discussing an issue about a car and discussing problems with a car that includes bad comments that leads to other crap that dont need to be said on here.With me theres also a fine line between yankin my chain and straight up pissing me off and your straight up pissing me off. I get sick of seeing this **** on here and ive had it. The reason why i make this situation into what it is is because im passionate for chevrolet and GM because of everything they do for people. They dont just build cars...its more than that with GM. Their apart of so many cancer associations and charities to help others in need. So they earn the respect from customers like me because of everything they do. One in particular im proud of is the Breast Cncer Research Foundation. Thats a big thing to be sponsoring. So i really thank GM/Chevrolet for that.Now you have an idea why im a loyal customer to GM and Chevrolet. Next thing i see on here that is related to bashing GM, i will and am reporting you to The administrator a.k.a XtremeRevolution or another moderator. Im making this clear to you.So please stop this nonsense.

Reactions: bryanakron40
This post has been deleted
#15 ·
I considered deleting or locking this thread. However, anyone with a few minutes can search Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to get these TSBs. They are public record. I am a firm believer in keeping the truth out there, but it must also be put into correct context. If not in the correct context even truth is nothing more than propaganda. Thus my answers explaining just what TSBs are and how even the best made cars can have random problems. Others also pointed out the fact that other car makers have problems as well.

#18 · (Edited)
Wow ... I merely thought the original post was simply to bring to people's attention some of the POTENTIAL issues they MIGHT have with their vehicles, and not so much to sway prospective buyers from purchasing a Cruze if they so choose to or "bash" anyone or any car. Perhaps the OP should have started off with a "disclaimer" stating that he was trying to be HELPFUL with this information.

It's my opinion, chevycruze2012, that you were a little heavy on the post you put up. What if someone were to say they were offended by what YOU said in your post? I didn't see the OP as bashing anything at all. I'm actually thankful for the information, because that means someone else took the time to do the research and bring things to my attention that I might have never known existed! Since when has being educated on something and having knowledge about it ever been a bad thing? Especially when it comes to probably the 2nd most costly thing most of us will ever have next to buying a home? If there were recalls for your house, or something inside your house like a washer or dryer, maybe even the A/C system, wouldn't you like to know about them even IF you'd had no problems? LIGHTEN UP MAN!

I'm glad that I now have knowledge that someone else looked up for me :) ! I'm a proud owner of a 2012 Eco 6MT and have had only one or 2 of the problems others here have listed, but I became informed on THIS SITE with information from people like the OP! Even if I haven't had problems, it Doesn't mean it might not ever happen, and having KNOWLEDGE about the possibilities is greatly appreciated.

Some people apparently get a lil butt-hurt too easily and swing that pendulum way too far in the other direction, without really thinking about what the intent of the original post was ... INFORMATIONAL.

If you wanted to call the OP bashing ... well that'd be just as absurd as me saying something like, "I'm so tired of hearing about all these people who have had zero problems with their Cruzes, and it's pissing me off! Go brag about your good fortune somewhere else because I'm tired of hearing about it here."

I mean seriously ... does that mean the NHTSA is bashing every single car out on the roads today?

I EXPECT to get exactly the kind of information from this website that the OP posted, which is WHY I joined it! I WANT to be informed by people with real world experiences ... good or bad!

REALLY people, or should I say chevycruze2012, take it down a notch or 2! It's not as if cruzemeister was posting on here again!

#19 ·
Wow ... I merely thought the original post was simply to bring to people's attention some of the POTENTIAL issues they MIGHT have with their vehicles, and not so much to sway prospective buyers from purchasing a Cruze if they so choose to or "bash" anyone or any car. Perhaps the OP should have started off with a "disclaimer" stating that he was trying to be HELPFUL with this information.

It's my opinion, chevycruze2012, that you were a little heavy on the post you put up. What if someone were to say they were offended by what YOU said in your post? I didn't see the OP as bashing anything at all. I'm actually thankful for the information, because that means someone else took the time to do the research and bring things to my attention that I might have never known existed! Since when has being educated on something and having knowledge about it ever been a bad thing? Especially when it comes to probably the 2nd most costly thing most of us will ever have next to buying a home? If there were recalls for your house, or something inside your house like a washer or dryer, maybe even the A/C system, wouldn't you like to know about them even IF you'd had no problems? LIGHTEN UP MAN!

I'm glad that I now have knowledge that someone else looked up for me :) ! I'm a proud owner of a 2012 Eco 6MT and have had only one or 2 of the problems others here have listed, but I became informed on THIS SITE with information from people like the OP! Even if I haven't had problems, it Doesn't mean it might not ever happen, and having KNOWLEDGE about the possibilities is greatly appreciated.

Some people apparently get a lil butt-hurt too easily and swing that pendulum way too far in the other direction, without really thinking about what the intent of the original post was ... INFORMATIONAL.

If you wanted to call the OP bashing ... well that'd be just as absurd as me saying something like, "I'm so tired of hearing about all these people who have had zero problems with their Cruzes, and it's pissing me off! Go brag about your good fortune somewhere else because I'm tired of hearing about it here."

I mean seriously ... does that mean the NHTSA is bashing every single car out on the roads today?

I EXPECT to get exactly the kind of information from this website that the OP posted, which is WHY I joined it! I WANT to be informed by people with real world experiences ... good or bad!

REALLY people, or should I say chevycruze2012, take it down a notch or 2! It's not as if cruzemeister was posting on here again!
:lol:

#21 ·
Nice to see a pretty short list for the Cruze. Other cars out there have very long lists of complaints reported to the NHTSA.

#23 ·
just drove 2000 miles no issues . as flawed as the cruze is IT loves the highway, and IT is good to read about the faults or what not with IT so I can prepare for any possible, forseeable issues in the future. GOOD looking out and any perspective buyer should be aware of said issues, and that GM is working on the faults with this model and other models . There is a warranty

#25 ·
Spending to much time on cruze talk . to err is human to fogive devine.have a good day

Reactions: DonnieZcruzE
#26 ·
Really guys, if anyone here is considering NOT getting a Cruze significantly in part to the content of this thread, you haven't done enough research. Go ahead and check the NTSA reports for any other car on the road and you will find that this one actually looks pretty excellent. Keep in mind that the Cruze only began sales in 2011, so a car like the Dart that only began sales in 2013 will not have as many reports due to the limited mileage that owners will have driven those cars.

If you have a problem, deal with it as it comes along, but try to remember that forums like these are literally the strongest magnets out there for people who have issues with their cars, so the number of issues you see pop up may not necessarily be widespread. Issues affect cars based on year due to either design changes or issues with suppliers, so if you came to this board reading about issues and automatically assumed that all of these issues would affect your car, you're looking at it the wrong way. The 2013 Cruze is quite different compared to the 2011 Cruze in many non-cosmetic ways from a reliability standpoint.

Spending to much time on cruze talk
What?! There's no such thing.

#28 · (Edited)
Thanks for this thread. I was unaware of the resources available at the NHTSA site. I have just finished researching models for an upcoming purchase. My original resources were manufacturer information and expert reviews, along with the typical big-name sites. Lo and behold, I've learned that owner forums such as this one provide a much better snapshot of the ownership experience. I've previously only owned GM cars and have a discount on them, so I test drove the cruze and cross shopped against an impreza and a mazda3. The picture painted from the enthusiasm (or frustration) of owners on the respective forums, combined with the great difference in complaints, bulletins, investigations and recalls listed on the NHTSA is making me all but sure that I will for the first time in my life buy an import instead of American.

#29 ·
GM has had excellent products for decades. The problem was that very few of them were priced for or marketed to the first time car buyer. In fact, this lack of entry level vehicles is what killed Oldsmobile. I had very few problems with any of my Pontiacs after I traded my initial Fiero 2M4. Actually, I didn't have any problems with that car either - the reason I traded it was I didn't trust the engine and it turns out that about a month after I traded it the first reports of Fiero engine fires appeared in the media. When Pontiac was shut down I felt the same way you did - thus the Mitsubishi Lancer GT in my signature block. The Lancer was traded for my Cruze ECO because of clutch issues it had from day one. However, the Cruze and Sonic have finally given GM a pair of entry level vehicles that are extremely well built and will go the distance for you. Yes, there were some serious learning curves at Lordstown with the Cruze with the 2011 model year, but since then the parts and assembly quaility has improved so that the cars are at least as good as, if not better than, cars from any other manufacturer in the same price range. Chevy learned from the start up issues with the Cruze so the Sonic didn't have this same learning curve. In addition, it appears the final major issue with the Cruze has been resolved and GM is spreading the word to their dealerships about the resolution. This is the odor and fumes some Cruze owners are dealing with inside the passenger compartment. Does this mean the Cruze is perfect? No. But neither is any other car on the road.

You should also be aware that my parents had never purchased a car from an American company prior to my Fiero 2M4, so I'm not from a GM family. On the other hand my 2012 Cruze ECO MT has resulted directly in me purchasing a Cruze LS MT for one son and my other son choosing to purchase a 2013 Cruze ECO MT after being cut off on a snow covered road and bending the frame of his Jeep.

Finally, before you purchase your next car, make your list based on what your needs and wants are. Do not exclude any cars from the list at this point. Then go drive the cars that meet those needs and wants, including the Cruze and Sonic if they are on the list and whittle down the list based on your comfort driving each vehicle. Then, if you want, research repair histories and NHTSA TSB/Complaint data. For the complaint database, keep track of the complaint IDs - the report you get on-line returns duplicates so 100 complaints returned may only be 20 unique complaints. Remember, many of the TSBs and complaints listed have either been resolved or are for a very limited number of vehicles. I know for a fact that a TSB can be generated even if it only applies to a single vehicle. TSBs are there for a reason - to assist dealership service departments in resolving issues with cars.

One other interesting piece of information, according to Biggest Auto Recalls Of 2012 (And Why They Haven't Affected New-Car Sales) - Forbes, Toyota and Honda accounted for over half the vehicles recalled in 2012. This tells me that past performance by a car manufacturer is no longer as valid an indicator of present and future performance as it once was.

#34 ·
I agree, but the title being "A List of Problems" probably isn't the best way to start it off. A list of service issues or even a list of TSBs would be a little more accurate.

#33 ·
What happened to this place? I know I haven't been around much working on my own project (gearheadsguild.com) but jeeze people.

This is good solid information that needs to be posted to a forum like this. If you disagree, that is fine but you are wrong. Plain and simple the point of a forum is not to sit around talking high praise about our cars no matter what. But rather to get information, When there is a problem get the word out so others can know, and so on. So quit getting all but hurt every time someone posts about problems.

Does the Cruze as a while have some problems? Yes. Is that perfectly normal in an expensive electrical and mechanical machine? Yes. Does any and every other car out there have problems of some kind? Yes.

So unbunch your panties and get back to information.

Sent from my XT912 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#40 ·
I am very heavily leaning towards the Impreza with the CVT auto. The main reason is simply that it is fun to drive. The cars I test drove the most were a Cruze LTZ, Buick Verano (my discount brings it within the price range of the others), Mazda3, Mazda6 which is close in price, and the Impreza. What would happen is I would get in the Cruze or Buick or one of the Mazdas and think what a great car it is and how much more sophisticated the interior looked than the Suby. But at some point the other cars kind of blended together. I felt like I didn't have any real distinct features to remember them by. I ended up driving many cars back to back in order to be sure I could compare them easily. I found that whenever I was at the Subaru dealership, when they rolled out an Impreza I'd feel this excitement to get in it and drive around, something I didn't have with the other cars. I know this falls heavily in the subjective personal preference category, but thats what ultimately guides buying decisions.

Driving impressions:

On all the cars I drove I'd say the interiors were equally nice so I won't comment too much on that. The verano and cruze ranked as the nicest and the Subaru as the simplest. I felt the Subaru felt clean and organized, whereas others may find it sparse.

Mazda3: Handles very well, steering is precise and weighted nicely, maybe even a bit heavy. Cargo space is equal to the Subaru, more than the sedans. Suspension was a big rough, acceleration was nothing to write home about. Great stereo and nice interior appointments. The overall dynamics were similar to the Subaru but I liked the steering response on the subaru more.

Mazda6: Best handling car, absolutely gorgeous exterior, great wheels. Clean but somewhat sparse interior at the trim levels I looked at. Also surprisingly slow considering its handling characteristics. Felt slower than the other cars. Transmission was so smooth you can't feel anything. This car was too large for my taste/purposes but what a great ride for the money!

Cruze LTZ: Acceleration felt peppy, interior was top notch and laid out very nicely, nice seats. Handling wasn't the greatest, some body roll. Very quiet ride. Visibility wasn't the greatest. I can't complain about anything but the experience was largely forgettable. It felt like any number of rentals I had. The handling dynamics in particular encourage you to cruise along at a sedate pace without really wanting to toss it around. The verano has similar driving dynamics with a more upscale interior but I liked the Chevy's just as much and wrote the Buick off my list.

Subaru: Sparse interior that I found appealing but might nto be for everyone, leather and nav makes it nicer, electronics were sub-par compared to the other cars. Excellent visibility far exceeds the others. This one is all about driving dynamics. The handling is helped by the 4wd and the low engine, it feels very planted on the road and likes twists and corners. The engine never felt underpowered when passing, merging on the highway or taking off on streets. The CVT works well, particularly the paddle shifters which emulate gears quite nicely. Its only odd feature is that it engine brakes below about 15 mph; i got used to it but it is different. More interior noise than the other cars but the sound the engine makes is fun.

Bottom line for me is the Subaru is the car I had the most fun driving and wanted to drive the most. The other rides didn't have the same effect, I looked around the car, took not of the features and the driving experience, then sort of lulled into going the test route. The subaru I kept coming back and driving because I'd worry that it was the oddball and I'd regret the purchase but I think I'm gonna get it.

#41 ·
Funny I felt the same way about the Subaru and Cruze. The Impreza just feels well put together. I liked the interior as well-simple and logical. The noise could be a little annoying to me though, maybe Subaru will do something about that for the 2014 Model?
The one thing I didn't like about the Impreza is where they locate the side view mirror and the mirror itself has an odd shape.

#42 ·
henho, this is the way to make a car purchase decision. Well done.

#44 ·
Hello vigil14,

I apologize that you are experiencing some issues with your vehicle. I would be happy to assist you into looking further into your concerns. Can you please send me a PM with your VIN, contact info and preferred dealership? I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon, and to possibly help you get a resolution.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

#45 · (Edited)
I wonder how many years someone has to own a home, before they complain about problems with it, and never wanting to own a home again ... or a television, phone, laptop, etc., etc.

Cars will inherently have problems, because there are a lot of mechanical, moving parts that have to work in concert with electronics and sooo many other variables as well. Just a couple days ago, I saw photos of a fiberglass ladder that collapsed ... yes, COLLAPSED because of a crack in the fiberglass around the rung. I'm not going to quit using ladders!

Yes, I know there are people out there who swear by the reliability of certain cars and such, but to be honest, I've always purchased "American" cars, always GM ... but have also had a 93 Mazda, as well as an 05 & 06 VW. I've put over 100k miles on nearly every vehichle I've ever owned until recently (because I don't keep them that long) and never really had any problems. I could also direct you to a website so you could see a guy that has over 800k miles (YES! over 800,000 miles) on a 1998 Chevy Suburban, still with the original engine and transmission in it! I also know there are lemons out there that simply defy the mass majority of problem free cars. I owned a 2012 Cruze Eco MT for right at 21 months, and through the 60k miles I accrued, would have to say the car was problem free, compared to many others I've read about.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that if you give up on something that may seem problematic, but in reality, is right on par with, (or for the most part) performing better than it's direct competion, are you certain you'd be making the right choice? I've looked up lots of other vehicle related problems, and have found that for the number of Cruzes on the road compared to its competitors, there are far fewer problems that I would consider serious when you start talking percentages. Not to mention the fact that I've had a difficult time finding another vehicle out there (minus perhas the VW diesels) that meets or exceeds (as the cruze mostly does) it's rated EPA fuel mpg estimates. Take a look at what people are recording for their Focus/Dart/Mazda 3/Kia/Hyundai ... and I don't think you'll find a better performing automobile.

I'm actually trying to talk my wife into purchasing ANOTHER cruze now, because we DID have such great luck with it as well as the lifetime AVERAGE of 39 mpg!

WISH ME LUCK ON MY PERSUASIVENESS AND HOPEFULLY "NEW" CRUZE PURCHASE!

#46 ·
^How true that is. Every manufacturer produces cars with problems. If you get unlucky with all of them you might dismiss all cars in general because there will be nobody left to buy from. If you know what I mean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.