Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hit 7500 miles in my 13 Cruze LT 6MT. I've had a few questions since buying the car with 20 miles on it a couple a months ago, all random as they come to me as things happen;

- Oil Life DIC; it seems to be based on just a 7500 mile timer. It goes down 9-11% every 750 miles. Is this the case or can it actually do something to detect oil quality.

- Like i said im at 7500 miles, and so far the only maintenance i have done is changed the oil at 6k. Is there anything else i should be doing in my near future/am overdue? I plan on changing the MTF soon (will most likely procrastinate until spring), and i usually rotate my tires every other oil change (running at 40psi).

- I still need to regap my spark plugs (or at least check em). But with the spark plugs in the cruze, i heard to not use a certain type of gapper? Is this tool just fine? OEM Hi-Energy Ignition Plug Gap Gauge | Product Details | Pep Boys

- Every time i start my car dead cold (morning before work, afternoon leaving work) about 20 feet after pulling out i hear a "scrape" and i can feel it in the accelerator. I don't know what is is, but i can almost time it to a T every time, and it happens every time. Anyone experience this?

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I just hit 7500 miles in my 13 Cruze LT 6MT. I've had a few questions since buying the car with 20 miles on it a couple a months ago, all random as they come to me as things happen;

- Oil Life DIC; it seems to be based on just a 7500 mile timer. It goes down 9-11% every 750 miles. Is this the case or can it actually do something to detect oil quality.

- Like i said im at 7500 miles, and so far the only maintenance i have done is changed the oil at 6k. Is there anything else i should be doing in my near future/am overdue? I plan on changing the MTF soon (will most likely procrastinate until spring), and i usually rotate my tires every other oil change (running at 40psi).?
The oil life monitor uses a combination of engine speed, temperature, and mileage to determine how fast to drop. Mine drops about 10% every 1,000 miles, which is optimistic. The 2013s got a more realistic monitor so I think yours is reading properly.

- I still need to regap my spark plugs (or at least check em). But with the spark plugs in the cruze, i heard to not use a certain type of gapper? Is this tool just fine? OEM Hi-Energy Ignition Plug Gap Gauge | Product Details | Pep Boys?
That's the one I used. Take a look at http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/57-how-library/6722-diy-re-gap-factory-spark-plugs.html to learn how to do it.

- Every time i start my car dead cold (morning before work, afternoon leaving work) about 20 feet after pulling out i hear a "scrape" and i can feel it in the accelerator. I don't know what is is, but i can almost time it to a T every time, and it happens every time. Anyone experience this?
ABS Self Check - 100% normal.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
That tool is for the birds .. you will not be able to do much with that with these iridium plugs ..

The technique to properly gap the plugs is .... Keeping the plug inside of your spark plug socket with extension attached .. a nice set of plyers to spread the ground strap open gingerly .. and a proper set of feeler guages to set to spec .....

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Oil remaining life depends heavily on where you drive, quite a difference in driving short distances with many stops in city traffic. As opposed to making many 500 mile trips, like 20 of these, still have life left after 10K miles of driving.

What's this on an MT recall? One of the best MT's I ever had since 50's-60's British sports cars. Took Detroit long enough.

·
10,712 Posts
Oil remaining life depends heavily on where you drive, quite a difference in driving short distances with many stops in city traffic. As opposed to making many 500 mile trips, like 20 of these, still have life left after 10K miles of driving.

What's this on an MT recall? One of the best MT's I ever had since 50's-60's British sports cars. Took Detroit long enough.
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-s...ecall-notice-mail-today-cv-shaft-problem.html

I'm that 500 mile guy who runs up and down the turnpike a lot with some extremely short drive cycles sprinkled in there as well. my 1st oil change was 4100 and then my current one was 9300 as my ORL was reaching 22% when I went in for the 1st stage of the recall. They have you come in to inspect the axle and make sure it's not already broken or soon to be broken. Pretty much see if you can safely drive your car till your replacement one comes in.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i got the right front tubular axel shaft recall. Went in to get it fixed this weekend, but they didnt have a washer for the assembly to replace it. Sounded fishy to me....a washer stopped the process? but anyway i'll be going in there this saturday.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
That tool is for the birds .. you will not be able to do much with that with these iridium plugs ..

The technique to properly gap the plugs is .... Keeping the plug inside of your spark plug socket with extension attached .. a nice set of plyers to spread the ground strap open gingerly .. and a proper set of feeler guages to set to spec .....
That tool is the one used in the NGK video on how to properly gap Iridium plugs. I agree a feeler gauge is useful to determine the actual gap, but it's not absolutely required.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
But you know as well as I , that, that 2 cent tool is pretty much useless on the ground strap ...........

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I've successfully used it on three cars. It just takes a little patience and finesse. Those ground straps aren't very strong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.