Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am sure it has been asked before, and if it has I am sorry,but I need some help on my decision. I have been looking at 2014-2015 Cruzes, mostly the LTZ models, but I just recently test drove the Diesel model (not sure what its trim is called) but it was very similar in trim level to the 2lt? Anyway I have tried doing some research on the Diesel, as I am not that up to date on those engines, and really the few complaints I have seen so far was that the sensor(not sure what it was called) goes out and you have to get it replaced.

Now the actual question is, which is the better car overall? I do understand that the "best" type questions are mostly preference based, but I am asking it on this forum, as I am sure you all have far more knowledge about these cars than I can get by just reading some articles on the internet. I have test drove the LTZ and the Diesel model, and from what I have felt, the Diesel does indeed seem quicker on the pickup than the gas, I am aware of the TQ difference, but the Diesel is also a few hundred lbs heavier. The one thing I have noticed is the weird gearing around 3rd and 4th gear on the Diesel, it seems to not know which gear it wants to be in on the highway when I accelerate past 60 mph, but then again that just may be me. Also what can I expect maintenance wise between the 2, will the Diesel require far more maintenance or is it just in need of a routine oil change and normal mileage maintenance, like the gas variant?

The car will be used for daily driving purposes, I work out of town, so when I am working I normally drive long distances to the job site and then to and from what ever hotel I decide to stay at, and from what I have seen both cars are fully capable of decent gas mileage. I also plan on doing a tune and cai, possible exhaust on the car I decide to go with, as while it is my gas saver daily driver, I also want to be able to have a little bit of fun, when I step on the gas.

From the information I have given you, I would like some advice on this, as I honestly do not know which is better in the long run, or overall. I appreciate any help you decide to give me.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Sounds to me like the CTD may be the right trim for you. The real issue with this trim is finding a dealership who knows how to work on the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds to me like the CTD may be the right trim for you. The real issue with this trim is finding a dealership who knows how to work on the car.
What sort of problems down the road can I expect to have from it? The CTD is the Diesel one that I tested correct? Also most sites I visit have performance parts for the 1.4l or the 1.8l cruze, but not the 2.0T diesel one, do you happen to know of a decent place to get parts, I have mostly been looking around at ZZP and BNR for parts.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
what percent highway/city?

what is difference in fuel cost where you live?

im 71%/29%

diesel is cheaper than rug, let alone higher octane gas here.

the def cost is ~$15/10,000 miles

fuel filter cost ~$100/30,000 miles

timing belt cost ~$1000/100,000 miles (parts $300, labor could be cheaper at indy shop or diy)

i wouldnt tune the diesel unless it was deleted.

i would be hesitant buying used diesel cruze what with the state of dealer/gm competency in repairing these cars whether it be lack of experience, training, or availability of parts

find out if your dealer has fixed many of these cars

find out why the used car youre looking at got turned in.

there have been many unhappy diesel cruze owners are no longer diesel cruze owners...no idea where those problem cars went, or if they got solved properly.

theres been some recent posters that have bought used diesel cruzes and have had some issues

****, theres been a recall in canada for a nox sensor and reprogram for ~6mos, all this time they still dont have the parts to do the recall, lol...but they sent out letters.

and theres been some owners that have had the right ownership experience

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
i know nothing of the ltz transmission.....never considered that car

the trans in the diesel is solid....been around forever in 11ty different cars

gm claims its lifetime fill, i treat it as its used in other cars, change the fluid every 30,000 miles, no filters to change...low cost.

youre saying it was in 3rd or 4th at 60mph?

should be in 6th...its programmed for fuel economy, it gets into as high gear as possible as soon as possible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in NC, and Diesel fuel is around the same price as 93, which I put in every car I use anyway, and it was traded in to my local Ford dealership, so they may not know why it was traded in. I will discuss with the Chevy dealer if they have fixed any of them, you don't see many Diesel Cruzes around here, but there are a ton of Diesel trucks, so I am sure if they could fix them, they could fix the Cruze right? It may have been 4th/5th, though I was sure it was 3rd/4th, the traffic on i85 is always sketchy, sometimes it is stop and go and other times you can get all the way up to 70, so I was accelerating and decelerating off and on, to get through traffic, as it is a 4 lane highway with multiple on and off ramps, so it may have been in a higher gear while I was chillin, and then just dropped down when I accelerated, I wasn't paying attention to what it was in when I was in traffic heavy, just when I would punch it to get over and around something.But then again I am used to my 2014 3.7l mustang I normally drive that stays in 4th until after 60. As far as city/hwy I dunno, its hard to say, it depends on where I am, if I am at home it is probably 65/35 City/Hwy and if I am heading out of town for work it is probably 20/80 City Hwy, so lets just say 50/50 to be simple. And I appreciate all the help you are providing, it helps me out a lot, but why could you not tune it for extra hp/tq and for the trans to be more firm without the delete, which I can't do, because we have emissions in NC.

·
Super Moderator
7,737 Posts
I wouldn't buy any car without a warranty from the manufacturer.

Diesel is is not for everybody. But in my opinion it is more pleasurable to drive. There is a bit of a learning curve and an adjustment if you've never driven diesel before.

My wife only wants to drive diesel now. But I have full GMPP warranty with zero deductible, an active OnStar account, and an excellent relationship with my dealer.

Reactions: pacolino

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't buy any car without a warranty from the manufacturer.

Diesel is is not for everybody. But in my opinion it is more pleasurable to drive. There is a bit of a learning curve and an adjustment if you've never driven diesel before.

My wife only wants to drive diesel now. But I have full GMPP warranty with zero deductible, an active OnStar account, and an excellent relationship with my dealer.
This is the car Gastonia, NC 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Used Sedan Charlotte, NC Belmont, NC Tindol Ford Subaru ROUSH | 70053A | 1G1P75SZ7E7148012 Tindol offers their own warranty, and their auto shop is pretty decent, though I have no idea if they have ever dealt with the Cruzes or not. In your opinion, what is the learning curve so to speak, as in what will I need to to get adjusted to?

·
Super Moderator
7,737 Posts
This is the car Gastonia, NC 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Used Sedan Charlotte, NC Belmont, NC Tindol Ford Subaru ROUSH | 70053A | 1G1P75SZ7E7148012 Tindol offers their own warranty, and their auto shop is pretty decent, though I have no idea if they have ever dealt with the Cruzes or not. In your opinion, what is the learning curve so to speak, as in what will I need to to get adjusted to?
I would not buy from them.

Three free oli changes. I doubt they've ever heard about dexos2 oil. Bet they'll fill your oil with whatever they have in hand and ruin your emissions system.

Dealership offers its own warranty. Worthless from a Ford Subaru dealer working on a very unique Chevy.

Getting a qualified chevy diesel technician has been a challenge for some. Ain't nobody at a Ford dealership that's going to be able to phone TAC or get parts off restriction.

My tollerance for risk and grief is very low. I personally would never own a used car.

These are my opinions. I offer them free of charge. But I have no skin in this game.

Other people will have other opinions.

At the end of the day, make it your decision. Not that of another vested party like the dealership or its sales team that only want your cash.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I but there are a ton of Diesel trucks, so I am sure if they could fix them, they could fix the Cruze right?
the emissions system is only on the ctd....its a whole new ball game, shares nothing with the duramaxes

its easier to fix NOW vs 3yrs ago when the cars came out, but dealers still ahve troubles fixing them.

As far as city/hwy I dunno, its hard to say, it depends on where I am, if I am at home it is probably 65/35 City/Hwy and if I am heading out of town for work it is probably 20/80 City Hwy, so lets just say 50/50 to be simple. And I appreciate all the help you are providing, it helps me out a lot, but why could you not tune it for extra hp/tq and for the trans to be more firm without the delete, which I can't do, because we have emissions in NC.
50/50 i would not have bought the car

50/50 i wouldnt advise buying the car

there are absolutely ppl on here with 50/50 patterns or worse and not having issues....but the ones having issues arent highway drivers.

theres ~5 here with 100,000+ miles...obviously mostly highway....they had the least issues

dont remember if trans is tunable or not, i have no issue with it

there are tunes out there for 30/40/50 hp and tq....but those only tax the emissions system even more....which is the weak link for the car.

if the tunes came with the ability to manual regen, idve bought one already.

im pretty sure everyone that did a tune got rid of them or got deletes....i know theres one poster that hasnt posted forever, dunno what he did, but was having problems after tuning for hp/tq

i bought the car fully expecting to delete before stuff started goin wrong on my car....im 60,000 miles and have had a #2 nox sensor CEL for ~6mos off and on, doesnt impact driving so ive left it...otherwise car is good....but yeah, im weary....i'll delete next summer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what yall are saying is, I would be probably better off with the LTZ with the 1.4L correct? This kind of stuff is the very reason I posted this thread, so I could get some good knowledge and insight into this topic, and you all have helped me out much more than I could have figured out on my own that is for sure! The one thing I liked the most about the Diesel was the extra tq on take off, do you happen to know what a fully tuned 1.4L looks like as far as hp and tq wise? I have seen some builds on here, but I couldn't really find any good Dynos or solid numbers in regards to bolt on and tune, other than the few discussions BNR was having with a few people.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
youll have to wait for a ricer to post aboot the dyno
XD a ricer, I just want a little more power, so that if I need to get around somebody in a hurry I can. I am trading in my mustang for the cruze, so I am not expecting it to be like my car, but it is always nice to have a little extra power.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
So what yall are saying is, I would be probably better off with the LTZ with the 1.4L correct?
From the standpoint of getting an problems fixed in a timely fashion by any competent mechanic, yes. Diesel is a whole different ball game. Different motor oil, different sensors, different everything engine-wise. The closest some mechanics get to a diesel is the Snap-on tool truck.

From what I hear, the CTD is a great car when it runs, but taking care of any problems that come up can be an issue. I don't think it's practical to expect any car to never have a problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From what I hear, the CTD is a great car when it runs, but taking care of any problems that come up can be an issue. I don't think it's practical to expect any car to never have a problem.
I can agree with that, there will always be some sort of problem that arises when ever you drive a vehicle for any length of time.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
That car still has 47K miles and 2-3 years on the GM power train warranty. Check with your local Chevy dealership if they know about maintaining the CTD. Given your driving report earlier this is definitely a car to consider. Ask the Ford dealership if they have the maintenance records. Also, if you do purchase this car immediately get the oil and ATF fluids changed. For oil, go with a good dexos 2 oil. You don't know when the last oil change was done nor do you know what oil was put in the car.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
So what yall are saying is, I would be probably better off with the LTZ with the 1.4L correct? This kind of stuff is the very reason I posted this thread, so I could get some good knowledge and insight into this topic, and you all have helped me out much more than I could have figured out on my own that is for sure! The one thing I liked the most about the Diesel was the extra tq on take off, do you happen to know what a fully tuned 1.4L looks like as far as hp and tq wise? I have seen some builds on here, but I couldn't really find any good Dynos or solid numbers in regards to bolt on and tune, other than the few discussions BNR was having with a few people.
For your driving the ECO Manual would be the best choice.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
That car still has 47K miles and 2-3 years on the GM power train warranty. Check with your local Chevy dealership if they know about maintaining the CTD. Given your driving report earlier this is definitely a car to consider. Ask the Ford dealership if they have the maintenance records. Also, if you do purchase this car immediately get the oil and ATF fluids changed. For oil, go with a good dexos 2 oil. You don't know when the last oil change was done nor do you know what oil was put in the car.
how much left on emission warranty?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lol this is the hard/fun part of looking at new cars, so many different variables and things to look for! I will probably have to further test drive a few more times before I narrow it down the pros/cons to each to my likeing, such as Diesel really a no tune, where as the gas version you can do more to it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts