Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Those considering the purchase of the SCR tuner from Superchips may have to wait a few weeks before the use of the device is possible. You see, Superchips is apparently creating tunes for Cruze owners on a case-by-case basis. Case in point: When I purchased my SCR tuner from AutoAnything I was perplexed because no request was made for the VIN# of my car. When i received the tuner I was directed to the Superchips website to download the software and drivers to presumably load the tune into the tuner and then into my car. Not so. Although Superchips will sell you one of their tuners, Cruze owners must first upload the factory tune to headquarters (done wirelessly from the tuner) and then wait until a custom file is created for that vehicle whereupon It will be sent to the owner's email address (at some point). Well, Superchips has my money and I have their tuner but the missing piece of the puzzle is the tune. I know from my experience with my Ford Fusion that Superchips can make an excellent product but the way I have been treated seems like crass profiteering. I'm sorry but I think most customers will not be pleased to be called upon to wait two weeks or more while Superchips completes their order. I certainly am not happy with this situation and I think Superchips Inc. should reconsider this policy because it may cast a pall upon their reputation.

·
Super Moderator
5,148 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Trifecta may take a couple of weeks to create a tune but they offer excellent support and a quality product and they send you not only a new performance tune but the stock tune also in case you decide to remove it from your car. Lots of guys here will attest that Trifecta and BNR racing will stand by their work and help you with issues you may have.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Superchips has responded to my concerns and they contend that some time is required to create a tune that they believe their customers will enjoy and I do not seek to dissuade any potential customers out there but I wonder why Vermont Tuning, a competitor to Superchips, is able to create rather good tunes for the Cruze from their data source without the long delay?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I wonder if the difference is that SCR is trying to do the customizations before shipping out the tune while Trifecta and Vermont send out a "generic" tune and then customize it for you after you data log.

·
10,713 Posts
Super Chips in my Marauder days was just a super generic tune kinda like how Cobb is with their AP on Subaru. Another company was the better route to take when using their hand helds. Downside to the handheld is marring to the vehicle where on Trifecta you carry around a cable and usb file with tune, cable drivers and ez flash to anyone's laptop/tablet and go back stock.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Cant beat Vtuner no waiting to speak of and a excellent powerful tune with no problems at all.Thats not to say the others are not good.It all depends if waiting is a problem.Let us know how the superchips tune is when you get it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, VTuner sets the standard. Excellent customer service and product. After many months I am still using the economy tune because it provides very good performance. By contrast, the tune I ordered from Trifecta some weeks ago was defective from the box (it caused poor shifting at low speeds) and I'm still waiting for the replacement.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yes, VTuner sets the standard. Excellent customer service and product. After many months I am still using the economy tune because it provides very good performance. By contrast, the tune I ordered from Trifecta some weeks ago was defective from the box (it caused poor shifting at low speeds) and I'm still waiting for the replacement.
So you have a Vtuner economy tune, purchased a Trifecta tune and now bought a superchips tune......maybe I missed something?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
apparently he likes tunes !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Its turned all the way up to the edge on 93 octane.Slightly more timeing and boost.I assume my on risk you could say.But the car runs perfect with no knock retard and i have monitored it under all conditions.Very strong running 1.4 for sure

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
660 Posts
Haha interesting

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Its basically a 96 octane Tune Brian did for me.But i found out the engine tolerates the tune just fine on 93.On shell V power It does but i also only use V power.We were testing a octane booster

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Received a call from SCR this weekend directing me to load the tune at my discretion. The package consists of two performance tunes
for 91 and 93 octane (nothing for 87 yet, although I have requested such as of Saturday). The tune loads fairly quickly but VTuner still
surpasses it in this respect. The TCM file loads separately. Apparently, SCR uses no technology to mask the presence of the tune in the ECM/TCM.
The tuner can be configured to monitor many engine and performance parameters including acceleration although, I have not yet used these features.
Tune loaded, and no unpleasant surprises upon start up: no surging idle, 'check engine' lights or 'service***' indicators.
I have tried only the 91 octane tune, and save for rendering uphifts/downshifts more perceptible relative to the VTuner files, my inner enthusiast
is satisfied. The car pulls strongly from the line (although not as well as my SCR tuned V6 Fusion) and accelerates impressively at speed. So, SCR
or VTuning? I say VTuner only because it smooths out the transmission impressively without compromising performance too much. SCR is probably faster by a
very slight margin, which the TCM calibration probably enables by rendering the shifts more firm but which I find unacceptably jarring (I have asked SCR
to revise the TCM calibration to reduce shift harshness, so stay posted). In summation, SCR offers a competitive tune and a sophisticated user interface.
However, I feel that customer service sets VTuner apart: Brian posts tunes quickly and addresses technical issues in kind. I am baffled that SCR
would require its customers to wait more than a week before they can use their tuners (at least in my case). Apart from the waiting issue, the SCR tuner merits serious
consideration from Cruze owners.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
sounds like you did good other than waiting.Although the Vtune trans tune is very good i dont use it and stay with the factoy trans tune.The reason being is max fuel mileage and stock trans tune does do anything to keep the engine into its power band.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
So you spent $1500 just to get one tune and compare a few other tunes? Who spends one thousand dollars on an economy car just to see how two other tunes compare?

Sorry, just sounds weird, especially coming from a guy who is posting to caution others about two products and elevate one very, very strongly above the others.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
So you spent $1500 just to get one tune and compare a few other tunes? Who spends one thousand dollars on an economy car just to see how two other tunes compare?
With all my hobby's and interests, I have at times spend thousands of dollars testing and comparing. Be that PC parts, GPS, Camping gear, tools, LED bulbs and high power LED flashlights to name a few. If I was interested in getting a tune I would probably be the guy to try more than one(probably not three however).

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Yo Dawg I just spent $ 455 .55 I 'll let ya know about that later ..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts