Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...so many "...could've, ...would've, ...should've" statements about GM and the Cruze--mostly all dead-on, too!

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Thanks cwerdna. Very good read.

Only issue I have with it is how it downplays just how much of a difference the Eco MT's 6th gear makes. Nearly every Eco user on fuelly and on the forum shreds the EPA ratings.

It did make some good points though about the Eco trim as a whole. Why does GM not just apply all the (reasonable) adjustments to all the Cruzes? Why is the automatic transmissions so much less efficient? Why no direct injection? Good questions.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Thanks for posting the article/review. I bought my ECO manual 6 speed for all the design/engineering reasons in the review ( the aero, overdrive gearing, lighter weight and LRR tires). I would like to have e-assist but I am sure it would have added a few thousand to the price of the car. GDI I am not so sure of. My brother has an automotive tool route and has talked with the BMW and Mini mechanics of the issues they are having with intake valves gunking up and the expensive clean up jobs on GDI engines. We don't have to worry about that on our Cruzes. The other reason I deceided on my Cruze was the price I paid, thanks to being a USAA member and a GTO owner and having GM card points my $20K ECO was only $16K. Thats alot of gallons of gas. I get 48.5 mpg @ 72 mph. I am pleased. I find driveability to be pretty good with my 6 speed ECO, it is comparable to my former 2002 Mercedes C230K 6 speed manual. That car only got mid 30s on the highway

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not sure about highway difference, but after ~180 miles of city driving, im at 29mpg average, and in 6th im turning about 2300rpm at 60mph

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Even driving aggressively I'm getting 38-39 mpg. The car is amazing in how fast the fuel economy shoots up after driving aggressively. It WANTS to sip fuel.

Even driving in the winter I'm still getting EPA highway.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Not sure about highway difference, but after ~180 miles of city driving, im at 29mpg average, and in 6th im turning about 2300rpm at 60mph
That's because you're a 2LT and not an Eco - I'm turning ~2k at 70 mph. Sixth gear is nearly .5/1

And I agree with blk88verde. I didn't want DI, I want a reliable car - I'd rather wait until the tech is a bit more mature.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Honestly we bought the ECO for the reasons mentioned in the article as well. Could have got a 1LT 6MT for a few hundred cheaper, but something kept bringing me back to the ECO. Oh yea the 1LTs were all 2011s, my ECO was the only 12 on the lot at the time.

I would say I am mostly city because of all the traffic lights in my area, but I am still getting 33mpg. I recently installed Trifecta tune which completely negates, IMO, the lugging mentioned in that article. My fuel economy has suffered, but I keep playing in sport mode and am still achieving 30mpg.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So sorry i couldnt join your eco club. Are you sitting around the campfire singing kumbaya next?

In all seriousness, I dont have any problem with the first 5 gears on the 2LT, but 6th could stand to be a bit taller. Oh well, could always do a gear swap at some point. I wonder if vince can do anything about the stupid shift light?

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
So sorry i couldnt join your eco club. Are you sitting around the campfire singing kumbaya next?

In all seriousness, I dont have any problem with the first 5 gears on the 2LT, but 6th could stand to be a bit taller. Oh well, could always do a gear swap at some point. I wonder if vince can do anything about the stupid shift light?
...maybe Vince can make it "blink-on" once or twice and then stay off?

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I like the shift light. It occasionally reminds me to upshift after powering up a hill not normally driven. Most of the time it's right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts