Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have decided that instead of all my income going towards a new Cruze, I am hopefully about to get an '07 Camry XLE 4 cylinder with 87k miles. It would help me in a few years get a new luxury car that I really want instead of a Cruze that I would be stuck with for a while. Plus, I know that the Camry will be much more reliable. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 1-owner 87k miles, very clean

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,524 Posts
Yuck. Good luck.

I've owned 2 Camrys - a Gen 5 and a 7. I hate the 6 with a fiery vengeance.

At least it's the 2.4 and not the first year of the 3.5 - there were soooo many reliability problems with the early 3.5.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have owned 3 6th gen. XLE's with the 3.5L, 2 '07s and a 2009. Very, very quick and refined engines. best v6 in the mid size segment, by far! Never had a single problem, the 2007 was traded in on the 09 with 194k miles. I am not too thrilled with the 2.4L but it does its job, and it does it very well. We in total have had 7, 6th gen Camrys. All very refined.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Camry is very reliable and very, very boring. You should negotiate the price down quite a bit, that car is not worth 12k. I would easily accept the notion of the Camry being more reliable than the Cruze provided it wasn't 7 years old with 87k. If you really think anything that old is as reliable as a new car, you simply don't know cars. We had more Camry's in the shop last week than your family has owned altogether. Again, very reliable but everything on the road breaks at some point. So go buy your Camry and join a Camry forum. Wouldn't want you to be "stuck" here with us since you now have such a superior car.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wow tension building here..

I wouldn't jump on board so quick. though your vehicles in past have lasted your family were the ones to maintain them. If this was a 99-01 with a 5sfe i would say go at it but this is a 2az... while it can certainly turn 300000 miles they are known to burn oil due to the rings compacting. First things first. Run the vin # through a local dealership or get me the vin. If the vehicle has extracare warranty there is a chance they had autocare (toyota service plan) and had repairs done through the dealer. I would
also want to see an underhood shot to see if the hood insulation has a coolant line on it from a bad water pump.

This car could have overheated once and pulled the rear cylinder head bolts. You won't see it leak coolant because the intake
manifold insulator soaks it up until you finally see a change in the way she drives. It only takes one time and i've seen quite a few high milage camry's come though as "great" trade in's for me to turn them around and send it off to auction even though the car
drove fine.

These things are certainly far fetched but you never know with a 7 year old vehicle.

But if you are still **** bent and look at the car look for these things.
-look under the back bumper. he say's it was hit. the rear support is visable and you will be able to tell if any damage was done further more then just the bumper.
-get a photo of the trunk open and hood open. Look for tags on the underside of the hood. When the trunk is open check alignment to the taillights and the two mounting screws near the taillights. remove the spare tire cover and check for signs of water.
-if you road test it be sure to reach highway speeds. Check for brake vibration on hard braking and swerve a bit at 35+mph for any wheel bearing vibration/hum. try and accelerate light and heavy to detect any knock.
-be sure to check oil level and coolant color. It should be pink not corner garage green. The resivoir is on the left fender with the hood open and easily visible.

All in all good luck, If you need anything give a shout.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Wow tension building here..

I wouldn't jump on board so quick. though your vehicles in past have lasted your family were the ones to maintain them. If this was a 99-01 with a 5sfe i would say go at it but this is a 2az... while it can certainly turn 300000 miles they are known to burn oil due to the rings compacting. First things first. Run the vin # through a local dealership or get me the vin. If the vehicle has extracare warranty there is a chance they had autocare (toyota service plan) and had repairs done through the dealer. I would
also want to see an underhood shot to see if the hood insulation has a coolant line on it from a bad water pump.

This car could have overheated once and pulled the rear cylinder head bolts. You won't see it leak coolant because the intake
manifold insulator soaks it up until you finally see a change in the way she drives. It only takes one time and i've seen quite a few high milage camry's come though as "great" trade in's for me to turn them around and send it off to auction even though the car
drove fine.

These things are certainly far fetched but you never know with a 7 year old vehicle.

But if you are still **** bent and look at the car look for these things.
-look under the back bumper. he say's it was hit. the rear support is visable and you will be able to tell if any damage was done further more then just the bumper.
-get a photo of the trunk open and hood open. Look for tags on the underside of the hood. When the trunk is open check alignment to the taillights and the two mounting screws near the taillights. remove the spare tire cover and check for signs of water.
-if you road test it be sure to reach highway speeds. Check for brake vibration on hard braking and swerve a bit at 35+mph for any wheel bearing vibration/hum. try and accelerate light and heavy to detect any knock.
-be sure to check oil level and coolant color. It should be pink not corner garage green. The resivoir is on the left fender with the hood open and easily visible.

All in all good luck, If you need anything give a shout.
This type of inspection is good for any used car purchase.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
I would HATE going to work if I had to drive that rolling turd to and from every day.

I had a Camry an 04 XLE 4 years ago and i did hate myself for driving that, i should have jumped the gun on the G35 that i wanted. The Cruze by far, as WAY better styling than a bland Camry. Our Cruzes haven't had a chance to prove reliability in a long term. There is a user in here with 100k+ miles and no issues.

But if luxury is what you want and you compare a LUXURY car with our Cruze, you will be suprised how it can almost keep up, even with a newer bmw style wise.

I say get the Cruze :)

·
17,524 Posts
I had a Camry an 04 XLE 4 years ago and i did hate myself for driving that, i should have jumped the gun on the G35 that i wanted. The Cruze by far, as WAY better styling than a bland Camry. Our Cruzes haven't had a chance to prove reliability in a long term. There is a user in here with 100k+ miles and no issues.

But if luxury is what you want and you compare a LUXURY car with our Cruze, you will be suprised how it can almost keep up, even with a newer bmw style wise.

I say get the Cruze :)
You weren't missing anything. The only good part of a G35 is the engine. Otherwise, it's a crappy Nissan that's not even very nice inside.

I hated my Gen 5 too, mostly because it was my grandpa's car. And silver. And boring. It did save my life though when I was T-boned in the drivers door by someone who ran a red light, and I'm glad I was in that car rather than something else.

The problems ToyoTech mentioned are actually fairly common among the Gen6 models, believe it or not - it was the car that made people really begin to question if Toyota was no longer as "reliable" as their reputation had been.

I haveta say...I really don't mind the 7 so much though. She had a 2002 V6 that I also hated, but I actually think the new one's a pretty nice car - especially on the interior. Still like my Cruze about 2642462 times better though.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
One day my friends picked up a group of girls from the club and we all headed to my car (the Camry). They were all drunk (i was the Designated driver) one of the girls said if i was a grandfather already.

Even drunk, they thought it was a grandpas car. To say the least everyone got lucky but me. The girl that "liked" me fell asleep in the car. It was that comfy.

/story of the day

·
17,524 Posts
Explain how is Toyota selling so many cars still if they have so many recalls and other issues? i never owned a Toyota brand and not planning to in the future.
Brand loyalty and their reputation for reliability. Same as Honda.

I mean, there really were no selling points for the outgoing Corolla, yet it still sold like hotcakes.

·
17,524 Posts
One day my friends picked up a group of girls from the club and we all headed to my car (the Camry). They were all drunk (i was the Designated driver) one of the girls said if i was a grandfather already.

Even drunk, they thought it was a grandpas car. To say the least everyone got lucky but me. The girl that "liked" me fell asleep in the car. It was that comfy.

/story of the day
Meh. Still not as bad as my "first" car (shared with my mom in high school - my other grandpa's car)

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
You weren't missing anything. The only good part of a G35 is the engine. Otherwise, it's a crappy Nissan that's not even very nice inside.

I hated my Gen 5 too, mostly because it was my grandpa's car. And silver. And boring. It did save my life though when I was T-boned in the drivers door by someone who ran a red light, and I'm glad I was in that car rather than something else.

The problems ToyoTech mentioned are actually fairly common among the Gen6 models, believe it or not - it was the car that made people really begin to question if Toyota was no longer as "reliable" as their reputation had been.

I haveta say...I really don't mind the 7 so much though. She had a 2002 V6 that I also hated, but I actually think the new one's a pretty nice car - especially on the interior. Still like my Cruze about 2642462 times better though.
I remember being inside it and i felt i was in a V6 Altima lol. But the Engine and the exhaust purred nicely. And i was pretty shallow back then.

The new Camry SE does look nice, i will have to admit. But still, with the same price i paid for the SE i will rather get a totally loaded Cruze.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
My wife owns a Toyota Solara SLE Convertible. Definitely not boring. It made me swear off sunroofs as going completely topless is a lot more fun. The only real issue it has is that it likes to pull to the right, which according to Toyota is by design to help avoid the offset collisions you get on two lane roads. The problem is that if you put really sticky tires on it the pull is dangerous. Stevenson Toyota East in Aurora, CO worked for a week to align and eliminate the pull to the right. They got it from dangerous to a slight tug on the wheel. The only thing I didn't let them do was replace the brand new Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires with Toyota's recommended Michelin tires since I already knew from personal experience the recommended tires are crap in the snow.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.