Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So upon starting my car and maybe driving 200 feet I will hear a light clunk from on drivers side of car. Now when I first got car I never heard it. So I took it to dealer and guy tells me that it might be the ABS system doing a check. I had to take it in today and in my area we had a storm so the roads are bad and he couldn't hear it. They told me to reschedule. But is it possible that's what I am hearing. This only happens when I start the car and within the first 200 feet or so of driving. I don't hear it after coming to a stop at a light and restarting. Just want to figure it out while I still have warranty if something is wrong.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, need a hearing aid, blower motor going, radio blasting, jamming on the gas pedal? Cruze is one of the better sound proof vehicles, if you roll down the driver's side window, start off slow, good hearing, will always hear that rattle type sound, but only the very first time you start the engine and start off.

ABS does two checks, first is a static test when you first turn you ignition switch to the run position, can only three checks, main power relay, continuity to ABS pump motor, and the microcontroller self check. If that ABS light stays on, you have a problem with one of these three areas.

Moving is the dynamic check, looking at all four wheel sensors for equal pulses, amplitude and frequency. If the ABS light goes off for the static test, but goes on for the dynamic or running check, problem with one or more wheel sensors.

That noise is the ABS pump operating.

With the terrible job my dealer did on my brakes, getting air into the ABS unit, only choice I had was to vacuum bleed. On other vehicles, could hot wire the ABS pump, on this thing, you gotta have a GM Tech II scanner, yes, GM I hate you too.

Only way to get around this was to vacuum bleed the brakes, start the car, hear that pump run, stop and do it three more times. Back on the lift, another vacuum bleed to get out more air. Then repeat this entire three times before I finally got a full pedal.

Only way to get that ABS pump to work.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
There is a ABS check the first time the car gets up to 11 MPH after you've started it and you're not on the brakes. It's a "thunk" or "thump". It's completely normal.

In your case, that might well be 200 feet.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I lost count the number of manual drivers who thought the first shift to second gear was grinding when what they were really hearing/feeling is the ABS check.

·
2,170 Posts
My car does the ABS check when I reach 12 MPH for the first time after starting the car. It doesn't matter which gear I'm in, 1st or 2nd.

Reactions: obermd

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
My car does the ABS check when I reach 12 MPH for the first time after starting the car. It doesn't matter which gear I'm in, 1st or 2nd.
I frequently hear/feel this check when I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Give you an idea about the engine speeds I run with a cold engine.

·
2,170 Posts
I frequently hear/feel this check when I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Give you an idea about the engine speeds I run with a cold engine.
I do treat it different when the engine is cold, well it treats me different. Very clunky changes for the first few shifts. But I deliver food, so my car sees some starter abuse. I really wish I could separate the key from the fob like my Cobalt so I can leave the car running and still lock and unlock it. The cruze won't even let you use the other key fob to lock and unlock it when the first key is in the ignition. That being said, my engine is rarely cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts