Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Recently I had to get my engine coolant system and the thermostat system replaced due to a faulty system and while I was driving the car, it would constantly say AC off due to high engine temperate.

Since my coolant/thermostat has been fixed, my AC has never turned back on and now my Compressor clutch won't engage. Could these two issues be related or am I off-base?

I have a 2011 Cruze with 79k miles and these seems to be too many issues given the mileage so thought they might be related.

Thanks

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
Is the outside temp on the radio screen displaying correctly?

The A/C may also not engage if the car's upper and lower coolant temperature sensors don't agree. Is the engine fan screaming when the car is started?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The outside temper is close to accurate - it seems to be overstating hot days (e.g. park outside and it says its 105 outside when really its only 90).

engine fan tends to scream at random times regardless of outside or engine temperate - sometimes when starting and other times when idle

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
engine fan tends to scream at random times regardless of outside or engine temperate - sometimes when starting and other times when idle
That may be your issue then. There is a sensor at the thermostat and one in the lower radiator hose. If aren't showing expected values, the car will put itself in a failsafe mode, which screams the engine fan, opens the thermostat, and usually shows that A/C disabled message.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks but I should have clarified that the A/C disabled message is no longer showing after they fixed the thermostat issue by replacing the sensor (don't know if they touched the lower radiator hose).

All of these issues continue to persist after the fix but there is no longer the A/C disabled message and the engine temperature on the dash is below 50% now

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
That might be due to a defective A/C - the compressor starts, the pressure goes sky high - the fan screams and the compressor drops out.

At this point, I think you're looking at a separate problem that developed while the A/C wasn't in use. At least, I'd approach it that way until proven otherwise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts