Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Cruze LS (automatic) with 77k miles on it and my AC Compressor has completed failed. After taking it to two mechanics, neither could pinpoint a leak or physical damage but both said the compressor is not working. I asked about electrical issues, issues with the hoses/magnetic coil, etc. and all comes back not a problem. Is there any known recurring issues with the compressor I should be aware of (checked the forums but didn't see anything) or is there a cheaper option to fix this than the 750-1000 I have been quoted? It just seems like my car is fairly young to be having such a major problem.

Lastly, about a year ago I had to have my engine coolant system temperature sensor replaced b/c it was malfunctioning and forcing my fans to run in overdrive - would like have potentially impacted the AC unit?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The only real problem I remember with the early model year Cruze was that a rock would hit the condenser and lead to a loss of refrigerant. Later model years had a black plastic grill added to protect the tubes but leave the fins exposed.

I think a couple have had problems with expansion valve and/or sensors so the a/c couldn't run.

I also seem to remember a couple that had compressor clutch problems. I can't remember if they were successful in repairing the clutch instead of replacing the whole thing.

I'm a bit leery about the whole "not working" thing. It makes me think they don't know what is wrong. I would have expected something a little more detailed, such as locked up/frozen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comments - I am going to meet with another mechanic now who just looked at the car and will ask some more detailed questions. I know my clutch is not engaging but there is refrigerant in the system so they are saying its the compressor failing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts