Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I own a 2012 Cruze. After several overheating issues, with the ‘A/C off due to high engine temp’ warning and the fan always being on high speed, I was told by the GMC dealer that the cooling fan resistors were the problem, so I changed the cooling fan unit. The overheating issues continued, so I changed the thermostat module, which had fallen apart, and, as a precaution, changed both temp sensors. I now have a check engine light telling me it’s a sensor problem. The temp gauge now fluctuates and starts to rise for no apparent reason, even in the cold Albertan temperatures of -10 and below whilst doing highway speeds. I don’t know what to do next. The car has been a cash cow since buying it three years ago. Has anyone ever managed to get a favourable outcome on the overheating issues? I’d appreciate any feedback that would solve my problems.
With my 2014 the dealership called me late Monday to tell me there was no problems and there was some old history in the codes. Which tells me that they disconnected the battery cable let it sit for the majority of the day. I for a fact know that there was no flow from the water pump and the thermostat was not closed shut, I had been complaining of coolant smells since April with no signs of coolant, which in normal cars usually is a blown head gasket. The dealerships when I stated I knew which codes it had shifted gears. They would do some more checking. According to the service writer magically overnight the T going into the firewall cracked due to extreme temps. Comically I have not seen any coolant there ever. So I pushed back. Service manager calls tells me it's the thermostat housing which is on the opposite side of the car passenger side versus original problem drivers side. I now have $1200.00 of needed repairs. We attempt to talk to GM for assistance as this is now the 1k a month car not in general maintenance at 72k miles. Junk! GM customer care stated " we are under no obligations to you or your car after it's out of warranty" 1 second 1 mile. Middle finger to you. So my junk is still at the dealership with a destroyed holiday! I will be calling to speak with the general manager and more than likely tow it home. However I can say with lots more horse power and higher RPMS my race cars never used coolant! Think about this one! What is wrong with the Cruze well simply its plastic junk attached to probably a pretty decent engine. Are your sensors bad more than likely not. What happens with the thermostat? It's an old school thermostat with an electronic sensor in a plastic housing. Lots of heat pressure build up before its allowed to open. The housing cracks before the thermostat breaks. Failed closed is a failed housing. Plastic is all I can say. So to answer the original question no I dont have an answer, and honestly dont think the dealership does, but they know if they dont replace something, technically they are at fault. As the last people to touch my car. Now they know I will not pay that kind of money to fix this car. So it will be on me. My suggestion is to file a complaint for every problem you have with this car with the NHTSB just maybe we will get lucky and get some forced recalls on these cars. As it seems when they break down it is catastrophic. No warnings! Sadly it takes people to die in defective cars first!

21 - 21 of 21 Posts