Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze LS 1.8L.
Had a first time occurrence with a warning message that read “AC Shut off High Engine Temp” I had been running errands in the middle of traffic hour. Not exactly standstill traffic but a lot of red lights. I noticed the engine temp gauge needle a just barely across the half way marker. I was at a red light when it came on but once I started driving again warning disappeared after a minute or less. Needle dropped back to halfway marker but came to another red light and started moving up again.
Made it home left it alone next morning checked coolant level and it was just a bit below the arrow so I topped it off according to owner manual instructions. Drove it around but still having same issue. Engine temp gauge is steady and below halfway mark as long as I’m driving but the second I come to a stop temp shoots up 5-10 degrees in a matter of minutes. I parked the car left engine on for 4 minutes coolant temp dash reading went from 194 to 217 within that timeframe. I didn’t let it get passed that because I was afraid to get that AC message again. Checked under the car to see if any leaks were pooling on the pavement didn’t see a drop. Popped the hood and didn’t see anything unusual.
So I came to the internet to get an idea of what it might be. I suspect the engine fan. But I’m not sure so I’m hoping to get a few suggestions. Also I didn’t notice the fan kick on when I got the initial warning. So should I idle it until the engine temp gauge gets to halfway marker or a little passed it, to make it kick on? I really don’t know how else I would make it turn on. Anything helps! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
7,998 Posts
Had a first time occurrence with a warning message that read “AC Shut off High Engine Temp” I had been running errands in the middle of traffic hour. Not exactly standstill traffic but a lot of red lights. I noticed the engine temp gauge needle a just barely across the half way marker. I was at a red light when it came on but once I started driving again warning disappeared after a minute or less. Needle dropped back to halfway marker but came to another red light and started moving up again.
Made it home left it alone next morning checked coolant level and it was just a bit below the arrow so I topped it off according to owner manual instructions. Drove it around but still having same issue. Engine temp gauge is steady and below halfway mark as long as I’m driving but the second I come to a stop temp shoots up 5-10 degrees in a matter of minutes. I parked the car left engine on for 4 minutes coolant temp dash reading went from 194 to 217 within that timeframe. I didn’t let it get passed that because I was afraid to get that AC message again. Checked under the car to see if any leaks were pooling on the pavement didn’t see a drop. Popped the hood and didn’t see anything unusual.
So I came to the internet to get an idea of what it might be. I suspect the engine fan. But I’m not sure so I’m hoping to get a few suggestions. Also I didn’t notice the fan kick on when I got the initial warning. So should I idle it until the engine temp gauge gets to halfway marker or a little passed it, to make it kick on? I really don’t know how else I would make it turn on. Anything helps! Thanks!
Welcome Aboard!(y)

1. Check the fuse for the fan.
2. Check your coolant level. The system may not have been "burped" completely. Refill as needed. Nice reply by Jblackburn to a similar issue. If you are able too, pressurize your cooling system to find any extraneous leaks.
3. Check both of the coolant sensors
4. Use an app like Torque or a ScanGauge etc to see the actual coolant temp.
5. Make sure the water outlet is not cracked
6. See if the thermostat is working - see video 3 below for place to check.
7. Determine whether or not the water pump is leaking. There is a TSB for this for some models

Both temp sensors:
or
or

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome Aboard!(y)

2. Check your coolant level. The system may not have been "burped" completely. Refill as needed. Nice reply by Jblackburn to a similar issue. If you are able too, pressurize your cooling system to find any extraneous leaks.
7. Determine whether or not the water pump is leaking. There is a TSB for this for some models

Both temp sensors:
or
or

Thank you for all the suggestions I really appreciate it!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Both temp sensors:
or
or

Got a code reading at autozone P0597, P0598, and P2181.

Today while driving it around I noticed something that I hadn’t before. My car has always been very loud anytime I turned it on. Never gave it a second thought because I just figured it was normal. But tonight I had the AC and radio off with the windows down and realized my car sounds so much quieter now. Which has never happened. So I’m thinking this whole time I’ve had my car the engine fan has been running constantly from the moment I turn on the car until I shut it off.
Well I put it in park and let the engine run until the engine temp gauge needle got close up to the middle line. Checked under the hood and noticed how quiet it sounds now compared to how it used to sound. Then I heard a small little click noise as if the fan wanted to kick on but couldn’t. When this sound happened it also made my headlights and the inside lights dim just a little bit and the car also vibrated, not a whole lot just a tiny bit.
I turned off the engine looked around for any visible leaks under the hood and under the car but didn’t see anything. Coolant level still at the same fill line as yesterday. Heater blows hot air and AC blows cool air but not as cold as it used to be.

So I’m thinking the fan motor just gave out or bad thermostat??

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
7,998 Posts
The thermostat is relatively easy to replace. I am not sure about the fan motor.

How-To: Replace Thermostat Housing & Thermostat (1.8L)
Post in thread 'Diagnosing bad fan/resistor pack'

i answered some of this on your other post:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the d
The thermostat is relatively easy to replace. I am not sure about the fan motor.

How-To: Replace Thermostat Housing & Thermostat (1.8L)
Post in thread 'Diagnosing bad fan/resistor pack'

i answered some of this on your other post:
Got the diagnostic testing on the cooling system they said fan unit needs replacing and thermostat & housing unit also needs replacing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts