Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. So I've noticed sometimes in the past couple of months that the air conditioning won't be getting that cold in my car and I've realized that the two driver side vent are not blowing out nearly as cold as the passenger side vent. Does anyone know what this is and is it an easy fix? Thanks in advance

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,487 Posts
Have refrigerant pressures checked. If it's low, one side of the evaporator may be colder than the other.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Low refrigerant might be the culprit. I work for automotive ac company and when we see a Evap with different temps it's usually the Evap is bad or possibly the txv. Last month we had a test running and we had this issue. Found that the liquid refrigerant coming in the Evap wasn't passing through like it should, instead it was coming in and right back out suction side.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
17,487 Posts
Low refrigerant might be the culprit. I work for automotive ac company and when we see a Evap with different temps it's usually the Evap is bad or possibly the txv. Last month we had a test running and we had this issue. Found that the liquid refrigerant coming in the Evap wasn't passing through like it should, instead it was coming in and right back out suction side.

Come to think of it, early on in my 2012's life, the expansion valve had to be replaced. Air would cycle from being cold to the compressor cutting out because high side pressures were so high from the bad valve.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The comp clutch would disengage? It looks like it's a variable displacement compressor so it should just drop amps reducing the stroke if clutch was on and discharge was high.
I would DEF replace txv before replacing the Evap seeing it's 100x's easier

·
17,487 Posts
The comp clutch would disengage? It looks like it's a variable displacement compressor so it should just drop amps reducing the stroke if clutch was on and discharge was high.
I would DEF replace txv before replacing the Evap seeing it's 100x's easier

Yeah - mine would disengage entirely. High side pressure was through the roof.

OP - easiest place to start would be with refrigerant. A good shop should be able to diagnose from there.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
See my post on this subject was deleted, but this is what I get for telling it the way it is. Variable displacement compressors use a fixed orifice tube, and on the Cruze, the variable displacement is electronic. No more pressure switches, use a thermistor to control compressor output.

Problems can either be mechanical or electronic. Pressures are worthless in a variable displacement compressor, all over the place. Need a charging station to pull the refrigerant out of these things to measure it, either add or subtract to it and put it back in.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I wasnt going to chime in on this strictly because of your attitude "but this is what I get for telling it the way it is" comment. But.... Like I said, my 7-4 5xs a week is OEM AC Compressor testing. Meaning, I test Compressors, Evaps, Condensers, TXV's and every other aspect of the system. There are 2 kinds of variable compressors, electronically controlled with amps (MEC) or internally controlled by suction pressure (MIC). On the Cruze the pressure switch (13502759) is located on the Condenser. There is a TXV (13313727) ,not Orifice style expansion valve. Not sure about your comment of "Pressures are worthless" but I can only imagine. I have actual data to back up my findings rather than someone who says its "Problems can either be mechanical or electronic". Not trying to put you on blast but if you wanna come into a discussion with the all knowing attitude at least have some data to back it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts