Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Cruze with 72,000 + miles on it. we have owned it about 3 years now and have had it fixed twice for the AC shutdown due to overheating message and the temp guage goes to cold and stays there, like it doesn't work. I get out and physically check the coolant level and other signs of overheating and there do not appear to be any. The 1st time this happened was a few months after we bought it and we were going on a trip. We took it to a dealership in Grand Forks, ND and they were good to us, as they gave us a loaner vehicle to complete our trip and we picked it up on the way back. They replaced the sensor and it didn't happen for about a year or so and then it happened again. We took it to a local shop, which is run by a trusted friend of ours, and they replaced the thermostat. That has worked for about a year and now it's giving us this message intermittently again. Is anyone else out there there having this same issue? I have searched for recalls on this issue, but there doesn't seem to be any. We live in northern MN and we don't use the AC for at least 9 months of the year most years. We would just like to get the problem resolved, because it's like the boy who cried wolf story and we are getting conditioned to think that the car is not overheating when this message comes on and ignore it because of past experience, however there is going to be the time it actually does overheat and we will have a more serious problem. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The common issues are water pump (leak), water outlet (plastic plumbing that cracks), and the resistor pack on the radiator fan (causing it to go into "jet mode").

While these might contribute, I think something else is going on.

The temp gauge going to cold makes me think that there's a problem with a sensor and the computer maybe freaked out that it doesn't know the car's true temperature. I'd stop by a parts house that will pull codes for free and see if there's anything in there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts