Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not really sure if this is an issue or not but the AC in our cars are suckish at best.. Has anyone tried completely evacuating their AC system and recharging it to see if it gets colder? My sisters 98' 4runner as far as I know still has the factory freon in the system still and the AC gets way colder then in my Cruze. I can have a buddy of mine cut me a deal to recharge my AC but I wanted to make sure it will actually help if I do so. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
My cruze AC was poor when I first bought it, do to some issue I had the dealer needed to recharge my AC system. MUCH MUCH colder when I got my car back.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like good news!! Hopefully I can expect the same results when I have my system recharged. Would you happen to know if this is a warranty thing? It's pretty lame that they come like this from factory. I shouldn't have to recharge the AC on a two year old car!

·
Registered
63 Posts
My car has 58,000 on it and the a/c is still frigid. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. My compressor will probably take a dump in the middle of july.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only got 23,000 on the odo and my AC sucks! It's been like this since day one of owning the car and I bought it brand new. I just thought it was normal..

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Someone on the forum had an issue with poor AC performance and their dealer (I think) found an issue where a connector or sensor in the system had been compromised by water and/or corrosion. I can't remember all the details, but if I remember anything correctly I seem to remember the AC system went back to operating normally and very well after the fix, and it didn't require a recharge. Sorry I'm not much more help, can't remember... try searching.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm always using recirculation mode. Even though it's a hassle to turn it on every time I turn the AC on lol. I thought I was being paranoid but when my girlfriend asked me why it's not "that cold" it really made me think there's something wrong here. Especially since she knows nothing about cars!

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey Mrhawaiibound,

I’m sorry to hear that you feel that the air conditioning in your Cruze is not functioning properly. I cannot guarantee anything, but I will be glad to look further into this for you. Please send us a private message referencing your concern if any extra assistance is needed. Thank you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Someone on the forum had an issue with poor AC performance and their dealer (I think) found an issue where a connector or sensor in the system had been compromised by water and/or corrosion. I can't remember all the details, but if I remember anything correctly I seem to remember the AC system went back to operating normally and very well after the fix, and it didn't require a recharge. Sorry I'm not much more help, can't remember... try searching.
That was me. One of the pressure sensors was wet inside and not reading the coolant pressure properly. I don't know if it was the high side or low side pressure, but the BCM didn't think there was sufficient pressure to safely turn on the condenser.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was me. One of the pressure sensors was wet inside and not reading the coolant pressure properly. I don't know if it was the high side or low side pressure, but the BCM didn't think there was sufficient pressure to safely turn on the condenser.
If this is the problem would it throw a code in the DIC? I really feel like my car has a lot more potential.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,317 Posts
I'm always using recirculation mode. Even though it's a hassle to turn it on every time I turn the AC on lol. I thought I was being paranoid but when my girlfriend asked me why it's not "that cold" it really made me think there's something wrong here. Especially since she knows nothing about cars!
Lowest temperature setting on the dial is automatic recirculate.

But yeah, it's not amazingly cold. It'll get cold on the highway but around town = meh.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
I don't know if we have the same a/c in Australia but I just set mine to 22C and it is great in summer and heats the car in winter. Even at 22C it still sometimes feels too cold.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Mine also gets to cold at times, especially on long drives.

I'm not gonna say GM is intentionally under filling the AC system, but it would save them millions.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But yeah, it's not amazingly cold. It'll get cold on the highway but around town = meh.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I can totally agree with that! It always gets nice and cold on the highway but in town it lacks so much. I do about 90% of city driving so I have to deal with this everyday.

Maybe the AC in your diesel is better because it's from Australia lol. It's more of a hit and miss because some people have this issue and some people don't.

It sounds like maybe you're right about GM undercharging out systems to save them money. Considering I'm not the only one who has this problem.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
If this is the problem would it throw a code in the DIC? I really feel like my car has a lot more potential.
No code. This is where it pays to have a good relationship with your service adviser. The tech went the extra mile to find this.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Ive had 3 cruses, so Im a pretty good gauge of how cold the A/C should be and the only time I've ever had an issue with the A/C is when my second Cruze lost the condenser to a rock. Other then that, the A/C gets so fn cold I could hang my car keys on my [email protected] I never turn my dial past 3 with my 6 speed fan, and thats just to cool the car down a little, I drive on the highway with it at 1-2.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
85 degrees here and it's still sluggish. Really glad that it doesn't get up to 100 degrees here. I think I'd go crazy!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts