Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I have a 2012 Cruze LS. Car was sitting for 4-5 years and is now up and running. I attempt to charge the AC by evacuating the system for 30mins or so and the system does hold vacuum. Then I attach the can of Freon and the system pulls the Freon in then I start the car and turn the ac on high, the compressor kicks on. The low side gauge reads to 70 PSI and the high side 400 PSI, then there is a drop in RPMS and the pressures drop on both sides (60 & 350) then the rpm’s jump back up again and the pressures build back again then the RPMS drop again the pressures drop again. This keeps happening every 10 seconds or so until I turn the ac off (RPMs drop about 200-300). The car will not take more than 12 ozs of Freon (supposed to take 22oz) and the aC will not blow cold. The Thermostat, AC Compressor and AC Pressure sensor all replaced. And I am stomped at what it could be. Only thing I could think of is the expansion valve or to much refrigerant oil in the system. Compressor clutch engages, fuse and relay working order.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Light Gauge Red Measuring instrument Font

·
The Nuclear Option
5,623 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have a 2012 Cruze LS. Car was sitting for 4-5 years and is now up and running. I attempt to charge the AC by evacuating the system for 30mins or so and the system does hold vacuum. Then I attach the can of Freon and the system pulls the Freon in then I start the car and turn the ac on high, the compressor kicks on. The low side gauge reads to 70 PSI and the high side 400 PSI, then there is a drop in RPMS and the pressures drop on both sides (60 & 350) then the rpm’s jump back up again and the pressures build back again then the RPMS drop again the pressures drop again. This keeps happening every 10 seconds or so until I turn the ac off (RPMs drop about 200-300). The car will not take more than 12 ozs of Freon (supposed to take 22oz) and the aC will not blow cold. The Thermostat, AC Compressor and AC Pressure sensor all replaced. And I am stomped at what it could be. Only thing I could think of is the expansion valve or to much refrigerant oil in the system. Compressor clutch engages, fuse and relay working order.
View attachment 298969
They pressures are WAY too high.

Do the pressures eventually equalize when you shut the system off. If they do there is too much in the system. If they don't and you have properly released the pressure in the guage manifold, there is most likely a blockage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check if they equalize with the AC off. Last night I did find a cooling fan fuse that was busted, stupid me didn’t check all of those. Now the AC will blow cold and accept the last 10ozs of Freon. BUT the high side pressure builds to 350psi then the cooling fan comes on and the pressure drops to 250psi then the fan kicks off and the pressure builds back up to 350psi and the fan kicks on again lowering the back down to 250 and this is the new cycle about every 10 seconds. I did see a post about the Chevy Cruze AC not working when the check engine light is on. My check engine light is on and the codes are the exhaust system.

·
The Nuclear Option
5,623 Posts
I will check if they equalize with the AC off. Last night I did find a cooling fan fuse that was busted, stupid me didn’t check all of those. Now the AC will blow cold and accept the last 10ozs of Freon. BUT the high side pressure builds to 350psi then the cooling fan comes on and the pressure drops to 250psi then the fan kicks off and the pressure builds back up to 350psi and the fan kicks on again lowering the back down to 250 and this is the new cycle about every 10 seconds. I did see a post about the Chevy Cruze AC not working when the check engine light is on. My check engine light is on and the codes are the exhaust system.
The fan should run almost constantly with the A/C on. The ECM will only disable the the A/C if it detects a potential overheating issue.vwhat are the low side pressures.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,850 Posts
Hello everyone,
Welcome Aboard!(y)

DIY Bone chilling AC

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

following!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts