Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I too have had problems with my 2011 Chevy Cruze now for 2 and a half years. I have taken it to 3 different dealerships on over a dozen occasions. I keep getting told "it the way the Cruze was designed". My main complaints are:
1. A delayed (2-5 seconds) response when accelerating
2. when the delay happens, the car sharply jolts forward and immediately shifts into Turbo, quickly speeding the car forward (as if i have floored the gas pedal)
3. the center consul (where the shifter meets with the dash on the drivers side) and storage area on the dash gets really hot (hot to the touch, almost burning your hand or leg). The dash storage area got so hot it actually melted my pen.(the dealership did add some insulation to the dash as an attempt to "fix" the problem. I told them that it was just "masking a larger problem that they were refusing to acknowledge". They didn't like that very much.
4. I keep smelling a strange smell from my heater vents (almost like burnt rubber) It gives me a headache and I'm afraid something is going to catch on fire.

I have had lots of additional problems, but these are all safety concerns that have continued to go unanswered by Chevy. All 3 of the dealerships have claimed that Chevy doesn't recognize the shifting and delayed acceleration as a flaw or as unsafe, just the way the cruze was designed to shift to get better gas mileage and was intentionally designed that way. I have been telling them for years that these problems are going to cause an accident or injure someone and that i didn't feel safe driving my car. They always tell me there is nothing they can do.

My questions then are...if the car was designed to accelerate with a long delay (2-5 seconds), why doesn't it consistently and repetitively do it? and why did it not do it the first 2k miles? and why the the delay keep getting longer as the car gets older? and why does my car speed forward (in turbo) when it does have the long delay?

These are all questions i have asked 3 dealerships, non of which have been able to give me an answer or repair my car so it is safe to drive.

2 days ago I was in a 3 car accident because of the defects or as Chevy wants to put it " the way the car was intentionally designed to shift and drive" I have called all 3 dealerships and Chevy customer service. I am still waiting for my calls to be returned. I now have injuries myself as well as 2 other and no car.

This has got to stop! Chevy needs to be held accountable. Chevy knows about the safety concerns, yet the refuse to even acknowledge it or offer help. Our lives are in their hands and they turn away from their customers when we ask for help. I have been a loyal Chevy customer for many years, owning 2 currently and at least 5 over the last 12 years. This will be the last Chevy i buy simply because of Chevy's lack or care for their customers safety. Thank goodness my injuries were not as serious as they could have been and thank goodness no one was killed. I hope no one has to go through what i am going thru now. Please message me if you have and are having similar problems.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident! I'm glad everyone is okay though, and I'd keep calling everyone that you called the first time every hour on the hour until they "have time" to get ahold of you. I have had troubles with the same thing you had, and it is annoying nonetheless. Hope you get good news soon!

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Please send me a private message hollya. I am so sorry to hear about your frustrations and your accident. I would like to assist you.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems, but I have to say if you know there was a 2-5 second delay as you claim sounds like you could have avoided putting yourself and others in danger. Only time I ever experience any delay in acceleration with my 2012 is with the AC on in 95degree+ weather. Yes premium gas helps but if you floor the gas off the line under these circumstances there is a delay(1-2 seconds of slow acceleration then VROOOOM). I find if you are easy on it off the line(don't pull out in front of people) once rolling and the RPMs are up there is no delay at all.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
For the odors from your HVAC vents, take a look at http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-s...e-cabin-odors-sources-resolution-summary.html. Print out the first post and take it in to your dealership along with the service receipts where you previously tried to have this fixed. If you're out of the B2B warranty you'll need the service receipts to get it done under warranty - you reported it and there was no fix at the time. If your dealership won't call GM for the warranty coverage, call GM directly and get them to cover it under warranty. You did keep those receipts, right???

The hot center console was corrected in the 2012 model year and I believe there is a TSB involving a lot of extra insulation for correcting this in the 2011s. Once again, contact GM directly for assistance and once again you may need your service receipts to get this covered under warranty.

Your bumper to bumper warranty should still be good for months but you may have exceeded the mileage and may be running out of warranty months as well, depending on when you actually purchased your Cruze.

Finally, if you really believe the transmission's quirks are responsible, file a report with the NHTSA and if the police reports concurs that vehicle surging may have been part or all the cause of the accident, file it with your NHTSA complaint.

·
10,712 Posts
That delay is what I been bitching about in the a/c threads. Lately its been doing it w/o the a/c on. Hopefully they take care of you with that issue. Where you running 87 91 or 93? Can't see any sigs on this app to see what model/trans you got.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2011 Cruze in April 2013. On 8-3-2013 the engine randomly surged as I pulled into a parking space and I hit a cement building. Policeman said it looked like something might have been wrong with accelerator as it looked odd. I had a concussion and am waiting to hear if car can be fixed.
I hope not, I don't want to drive it again! Thankfully I was the only one hurt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts