Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

ACDelco Oil Filter

15902 Views 24 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Barry Allen
Hey guys I went to the store to buy an oil filter and the paper catalog said you can either use PF48E or PF64. What one do you guys use? I got PF64.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
I thought there were some minor internal differences and doing a search ran across this service bulletin that mentioned the internal bypass valve opening pressure is different between the two filters.

Taking a look at the 2018 Cruze owner's manual it calls for the PF64, which makes sense as it should have a little more media filtration area and more importantly doesn't go into bypass as easily. If you already used a PF48E it should fit and likely work ok in warmer weather when the oil heats up and oil pressure goes down quicker after startup so there's less chance of bypassing the filtration media, but I likely wouldn't run it in colder weather or try to push the change interval.

· Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Taking a look at the 2018 Cruze owner's manual it calls for the PF64
Does the 2018 Manual call for UPF64R or PF64?

I just pulled the filter off my 2016, and it's a PF64.
It was installed by my local Chevy dealer in November 2017.

That's 21 months after this bulletin came out:

DATE 02/25/2016
SUBJECT Oil Filter Usage
MODELS 2016 Buick Encore, Chevrolet, Malibu, Cruze, Spark, & Volt Equipped with Engine RPOs LE2, LV7, LFV and L3A
TO All Chevrolet, Buick, & GMC Dealers
ATTN Parts Managers, Service Managers, Service Technicians and Fleet Service and Part Managers

The new small gas engines launched in the 2016 vehicles use oil filter P/N 12667194.
This P/N has been superseded to P/N12670058, then superseded to P/N12674698 (AC Delco UPF64R).

If this part number is unavailable you can use oil filter P/N 12640445 (AC Delco PF64) until stock becomes available for the P/N12667194 - P/N12670058 – P/N12674698 oil filter (AC Delco UPF64R).

Thank you for your cooperation.

END OF MESSAGE
GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES

· Registered
2,200 Posts
Taking a look at the 2018 Cruze owner's manual it calls for the PF64
Does the 2018 Manual call for UPF64R or PF64?

I just pulled the filter off my 2016, and it's a PF64.
It was installed by my local Chevy dealer in November 2017.

That's 21 months after this bulletin came out:

DATE 02/25/2016
SUBJECT Oil Filter Usage
MODELS 2016 Buick Encore, Chevrolet, Malibu, Cruze, Spark, & Volt Equipped with Engine RPOs LE2, LV7, LFV and L3A
TO All Chevrolet, Buick, & GMC Dealers
ATTN Parts Managers, Service Managers, Service Technicians and Fleet Service and Part Managers

The new small gas engines launched in the 2016 vehicles use oil filter P/N 12667194.
This P/N has been superseded to P/N12670058, then superseded to P/N12674698 (AC Delco UPF64R).

If this part number is unavailable you can use oil filter P/N 12640445 (AC Delco PF64) until stock becomes available for the P/N12667194 - P/N12670058 – P/N12674698 oil filter (AC Delco UPF64R).

Thank you for your cooperation.

END OF MESSAGE
GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES
The owners manual calls for a PF64, but as that parts bulletin pointed out it has been superceded to the UPF64R on the small gas engine SGE family. The parts catalog should reflect this, and all dealer are supposed to be installing the UPF64R at this point.

· Premium Member
1,207 Posts
all dealer are supposed to be installing the UPF64R at this point.
That's what I thought.
So now I wonder if they ran out of the UPF64R, or if my dealer doesn't carry UPF64R because they can get the PF64 cheaper.

I know that Rock Auto wants around $3 for the PF64 and $5 for the UPF64R.

I should have bought a dozen of the bulk pack UPF64RF when Rock Auto had them last year for less than the retail boxed filters. I had no idea Rock was going to quit selling those.

EDIT: RockAuto still has the bulk pack UPF64RF (currently $4.32), they just quit showing them as compatible with a 2017 Cruze. When I check compatibility, it shows no compatible cars.

· Registered
2,200 Posts
all dealer are supposed to be installing the UPF64R at this point.
That's what I thought.
So now I wonder if they ran out of the UPF64R, or if my dealer doesn't carry UPF64R because they can get the PF64 cheaper.

I know that Rock Auto wants around $3 for the PF64 and $5 for the UPF64R.

I should have bought a dozen of the bulk pack UPF64RF when Rock Auto had them last year for less than the retail boxed filters. I had no idea Rock was going to quit selling those.

EDIT: RockAuto still has the bulk pack UPF64RF (currently $4.32), they just quit showing them as compatible with a 2017 Cruze. When I check compatibility, it shows no compatible cars.
That's most likely it, dealers have massively slim margins for profit on oil changes, so any way to make more they take advantage. They don't get in trouble for installing them, so they keep doing so. There's also the whole some dealers DGAF issue. LOL

Thanks for that link. That ends up being cheaper than employee price at the dealer. Case ordered, now I'm good til powertrain runs out.

· Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
Shows I have a gen 1 I am used to the canister filter and surprised they went back to a spin on filter! When I saw it on rock auto I thought it was a PF47. Now I have 2013 and 2014 I have a case of the canister filters and have to remind myself how to change the oil on wife's Accord with a spin on LOL I remember back in the 80s thinking I could use either a PF51 or PF47 on my 231 Grand Prix. I know the one was for a 229 Chevy V6 and the other for the Buick V6 but they were interchangeable and there was enough room for the larger filter when the PF47 was called for. I had a boss at Nationwise auto parts that informed me of this.

· Registered
2,200 Posts
Shows I have a gen 1 I am used to the canister filter and surprised they went back to a spin on filter! When I saw it on rock auto I thought it was a PF47. Now I have 2013 and 2014 I have a case of the canister filters and have to remind myself how to change the oil on wife's Accord with a spin on LOL I remember back in the 80s thinking I could use either a PF51 or PF47 on my 231 Grand Prix. I know the one was for a 229 Chevy V6 and the other for the Buick V6 but they were interchangeable and there was enough room for the larger filter when the PF47 was called for. I had a boss at Nationwise auto parts that informed me of this.
Same still applies, the PF63 is a longer PF64, and fits just fine. There's not currently a UPF63R or equivalent at this time though

· Registered
123 Posts
Yeah that's the one I use. Thing is someone brings up something about psi on the drainback and now I'm concerned and might go with the acdelco
I haven't heard anything positive/negative concerning drainback with the M1 113A filter. If there is a problem, any problem with the M1 113A, I'd like to "see" the test data for confirmation.

· Registered
2,200 Posts
Yeah that's the one I use. Thing is someone brings up something about psi on the drainback and now I'm concerned and might go with the acdelco
I haven't heard anything positive/negative concerning drainback with the M1 113A filter. If there is a problem, any problem with the M1 113A, I'd like to "see" the test data for confirmation.
It's not the drain back issue.
M1-113a is a quality filter, made by Champion Labs just like the specified UPF64R. The issue is the bypass pressure spec. While the 113 does(by some accounts) meet the 22psi spec on the PF64, it's believed but not confirmed officially that the UPF64R has a 35psi bypass.

I'll keep using the UPF64R until I get confirmation on the bypass spec. At which point if it is still 22psi I'll switch back to Wix XP like I use on everything else.

· Registered
123 Posts
M1-113a is a quality filter, made by Champion Labs just like the specified UPF64R. The issue is the bypass pressure spec. While the 113 does(by some accounts) meet the 22psi spec on the PF64, it's believed but not confirmed officially that the UPF64R has a 35psi bypass.

I'll keep using the UPF64R until I get confirmation on the bypass spec. At which point if it is still 22psi I'll switch back to Wix XP like I use on everything else.
Ok, that's a different issue. Seems anything at or less than 15 psi is a no go. Did some quick checking on that subject....here's a link:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...017-corvette_-service-bulletin_-17-na-157.pdf

· Registered
123 Posts

Most oil filters of the past have been updated, and the more expensive filters are in fact better. Such is the case with pf48 to pf64. Concerning Mobil 1 113 and 113A, the difference is the bypass rating. M 113 (like the pf48) is the standard filter at about 15 +/- psi bypass. The M113A (like pf64) is the Extended performance filter and has a higher bypass at 22 psi, as are most extended performance oil filters. Some may be slightly lower at 20 psi, some slightly high(?). However, too high a bypass pressure can have negative effects when the oil is cold.

That said, buy a higher priced oil filter, whatever brand you like, install it, forget about it, and just drive. They use silicone anti drain back vs rubber and synthetic filtering media for better filtering. BTW, fill the filter with oil before installing it. You already know to wet the gasket!

· Registered
36 Posts
I'm a man of leisure - and curiosity. I cut open my OEM AC Delco filter after my first oil change. Looked like a Fram with its cardboard end caps. Is this necessarily bad? No, but if owners neglect to service their cars on a regular basis it may be an issue. I don't know. The Internet tells me 'cardboard bad - steel good'.

Far from a shill, BTW ( I'm kinda thrifty) but I've been using Walmart's Supertech line of oil & filters for nearly 2 decades with zero engine problems. Granted, I change them on the early side of caution but no issues and very long engine life throughout our stable of mutt cars. YMMV.

· Registered
123 Posts
Buying Guide

Types of Oil Filter Media
Not all oil filters are made equal, and they use different membranes or media to remove any impurities and contaminants in motor oil.

Cellulose Filter Media

Spin on or disposable oil filters often use cellulose filter media and are capable of collecting and removing contaminants that are between 8 and 10 microns in size. To maintain its strong performance you should aim to replace the filter every 3000 miles.

Synthetic Filter Media

This is a higher quality media and works to eliminate particles and debris that range from 20 to 40 microns in size and needs to be replaced every 6000 miles.

Microglass filter media

These are the higher end types of media that are used in oil filters and the microglass is a fine metal mesh constructed of fibers that are several times finer compared to cellulose. This means it is more effective at filtering particles and need replacing far less frequently with a recommendation of either every 5 years or 10,000 miles.

Parts of an Oil Filter

The operation of an oil filter seems very simple, but there are several key components that are essential to your engines operation. These are the key oil filter parts and how they work together to function.

Price

A good rule of thumb is that the more you spend on your filter, the better and longer it will perform. Cheaper oil filters will often contain light gauge metal, poort quality gaskets and loose filter material which can lead to early filter failure. Other filters may also filter out dirt particles more effectively or have a longer service life. We’ve saved you the hassle by shortlisting the best oil filters for your vehicle.

Anti-drain back valve: this is a flap like valve that stops oil from returning back into the oil filter from the engine when your vehicle is running.

Tapping gasket/plate: In this part, the oil enters and exits the oil filter and is made up of a center hole which is surrounded by several holes that are smaller in size. Oil enters through the small holes on the outer perimeter of the tapping plate which is often referred to as a gasket and exits though the center hole which is attached to part of your engine.

Filter Medium – This is filter itself and is made up of synthetic fibers and microscopic cellulose fibers that work as a sieve to catch contaminants before the oil can reach the engine. A higher level of efficiency is maintained because the medium is folded.

Center steel tube – once oil has been filtered of any contaminants or debris that is present, it then passes back through a center steel tube into the engine.

Relief Valve – when your engine is cold, for example when you first start up, it still needs oil. At lower temperatures, the oil will often be too thick to pass through the filter medium material. This relief valve allows for small amounts of unfiltered oil to pass into the engine so the minimum lubrication levels can be met until the rest of the oil has been heated enough to pass freely through the oil filter normally.

End Discs – on both sides of the filter medium is an end disc which is often made of metal or fiber. These discs work to stop unfiltered oil from reaching into the center steel tube and entering the main part of the engine. Retainers are made from thin pieces of metal, and these work to to hold these discs securely in place against the tapping plate.

The 5 Best Oil Filters - Halo Technics

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.