Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Acid leaking from battery

8K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Mo Cruze 
#1 ·
I had a bad battery. Battery was dead could not start car when I opened Hood there was lots of powdery acid corrosion around the terminal. I jumped the car and went and got a new battery two weeks later there's a bunch of powdery acid on this new
battery could the battery be bad or does this mean that my alternator is overcharging? Any help would be much appreciated thank you

Discussion starter · #4 ·
It's a 2013 1.4 buy a Duralast from AutoZone

Definitely cleaned it up. Not with any kind of liquid or anything but scraped It Off real good. had the AutoZone guy put it in and applied the Vaseline stuff as well to protect it from the acid build-up. two weeks later it was super covered again.. had water outlet pipe replaced today at Chevy and they told me they saw acid leaking out of the battery that it was a bad battery but it's brand new that's why I'm wondering if it was the alternator or the battery

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Update I just went to Advanced Auto and had them test the battery and charging system (said it was charging a little high)and he told me the battery was okay that it's the regulator or a sensor or something. Can anybody help me figure this out here are the pictures from the test.

Discussion starter · #10 · (Edited)
Battery test result: voltage 12.58 volt. Measured 811 CCA. Rated 730 CCA. Temperature 106 degrees Fahrenheit

Charging system test result: no load 15.17 volt 2.9 amp. loaded 14.59volt 1.9 amp. Ripple 44mv

Starter test results: voltage 11.51. Amps 132.2 ttime 2.26 seconds

Discussion starter · #12 · (Edited)
so are you saying you think it's the battery itself? It's weird cause my last battery that was doing the same thing died went bad and now this new ones doing it too made me think it wasn't the battery but Chevy said it was the battery was leaking and advance Auto hearts said it wasn't the battery. SMH I actually bought it at AutoZone and is under warranty but I didn't want to bring it and say the battery was bad and then it wasn't the battery and they might void my warranty if it was my charging system messing it up.

Discussion starter · #16 · (Edited)
Battery test result: voltage 12.58 volt. Measured 811 CCA. Rated 730 CCA. Temperature 106 degrees Fahrenheit

Charging system test result: no load 15.17 volt 2.9 amp. loaded 14.59volt 1.9 amp. Ripple 44mv

Starter test results: voltage 11.51. Amps 132.2 ttime 2.26 seconds
At 106*F your no load charging voltage should be no greater than 14.2V, 15.17V is way too high, you are overcharging, sounds like your field transistor is partially shorted.

All I can say as about nine years ago, no longer made in the USA, made in China someplace.

They no longer replace the voltage regulator, just replace the entire alternator.

Looks like you have two problems, the alternator and the battery, like Robby said, should not be leaking at that terminal, does have vents. If you had caps, would learn the electrolyte is low.

China does not have to put up with the EPA, OSHA. ERA. the IRS, high property tax bills, and chipping in with high health insurance cost, so can outbid us buy a penny a unit. Also a 40 hour week with vacation and holiday days off. So another nice factory gathering dust. Consumer pays the price.
Not good news. So it's definitely my alternator?do I need to replace it? It can't be anything else? Like a sensor or something?

And the battery is also damaged? it should not be leaking even if it's being overcharged?

I don't want to bring the battery back to AutoZone to be replaced if something is wrong with my alternator and it's going to ruin the next battery to? Also if I bring it to be replaced and they say my system is overcharging is that going to void the warranty I just paid $160 for this battery like 3 weeks ago. Advice?

Discussion starter · #19 ·
At 106*F your no load charging voltage should be no greater than 14.2V, 15.17V is way too high, you are overcharging, sounds like your field transistor is partially shorted.
If this were true then we would never see our in-car voltage meters showing 14.6V. Mine routinely shows 14.6V in the middle of the summer and I have seen 15+ volts on rare occasion. The Cruze has a variable output alternator and it will indeed output 15 volts when called for. My car was assembled in Oct 2011 and it's still on the original battery after 100,000+ miles.

Start by doing as Robby suggested and get the battery replaced under warranty.
OK thank you ober I'll do that

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Just an update it was a bad new battery. no more acid leaking with II replacement battery. I noticed with the bad battery the voltage was staying at 14.8 volts up to 15.1 at all time. With the good battery I notice it goes down into the upper 13 volt area up to about 14.7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.