Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Active Aerodynamics Article - Cruze Plug

1729 2
So I'm sitting here on my coffee break and searched Google for "Active Aerodynamics", up pops a BBC article about supercars and, the Cruze:

BBC - Autos - Active aerodynamics, a slippery obsession

Kinda cool that GM was early to the party with this one. Since the Cruze Eco debuted in 2011 there have been others to join, but I think GM was first with a mass market car.

OK, you're right, the Cruze application is a little boring compared to seven figure supercars using AA to balance drag and downforce at hyperspeed, but it's cool none the less.

I can see a day when AA replaces the need for fancy electronic thermostats, relegating them to simply a "cold start" emissions compliance feature. Coolant will flow freely through the radiator at all times once the engine is warm and the engine's temperature will be regulated by adjusting how much air is allowed to pass over the radiator.

These are interesting times to be a car geek, for sure.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,189 Posts

Active aerodynamics, a slippery obsession

BBC - Autos - Active aerodynamics, a slippery obsession

Into the slipstream
Chevrolet's Cruze Eco has active front grille shutters that close when the engine does not require significant air for cooling, improving the car's aerodynamics. (General Motors)

Into the slipstream
This circa-1966 Chaparral 2E piloted by aerodynamics innovator Jim Hall was one of the first racing cars to employ active aerodynamics, via an adjustable rear wing. (Newspress)

Into the slipstream
Swedish builder Koenigsegg employs active aero on its hypercars. (Koenigsegg)

[HR][/HR]Source: BBC Autos

· Resident Forum Drunkard
8,257 Posts
You know what I find to be a neet trick is that Jon ( sunlinefan ) has installed the front shutters and the underneath panels from an Eco to streamline his LTZ ..

So there are things that we as consumers can do to improve MPG aside of Modding for appearances .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.