Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked car up from oil change, wasn't running right. Thought it was in my head, drove another mile and got on the freeway, it got up to speed but something was definately off. Look in the rearview and its blowing white/blue smoke. Engine sounded horrible as well.

Turned around to head back to the dealer, made it back to the exit and got the DPF FULL CONTINUE DRIVING then immediately REDUCED POWER. Car was dead, put it to the floor, can't maintain any speed. Was able to pull into a parking lot and got DIESEL SHUT DOWN ENGINE SOON message.

Towed to the dealer.

Seems like another DPF failure, but it's very odd since it ran perfect when I dropped it off and immediately was a POS when I left the dealer.

Have a rental, will find out more tomorrow.

53k miles, first problem thus far.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
I wonder if they put the wrong oil in - or overfilled the oil?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Doesn't it state some where not to over fill because it can use the engine oil as fuel? If the did overfill I could see that happening and it poisoning the DPF.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Based on your description the oil was way overfilled or the turbo seals failed.......I'm betting a overfill.

Rob

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
way too soon for oil overfill/wrong oil to take effect

we put double the amount of oil in one of our trucks by accident, ran it for ~100 miles til driver noticed something odd

checked dipstic, drained til right amount

truck and dpf no worse for wear

·
Registered
611 Posts
That really sucks. I hope they get your car fixed up ASAP. I still bring my own oil to the dealership for them to change. I take in 5 liters of Mobil 1 ESP and I always tell them I want the extra back, as the manual calls for 4.75 quarts. This has only happened one time out of 7 oil changes. I'm not sure if they just pour all the oil in, or if my request is never relayed to the tech and they just toss what's left. So far I have not had an issue. I'm guessing if they did indeed overfill you, it was by a large margin. Hopefully any repairs are covered by the dealer. I think the thing that bothers me most about your situation (and others) is that you get a message that says keep driving and then the car basically shuts down. How do you keep driving a car that shuts down?? Seems like that message needs to appear sooner, or it's just pointless. Please keep us posted. I'm almost at 50K trouble free miles (knock on wood) and would hate for something like this to be my first issue.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep I'm thinking they overfilled it as well. Funny since I had just had that conversation with the service writer after he told me it takes 9 quarts. I corrected him and showed him in the manual.

Idiots! Although I have never had an issue with this dealer before.

I just called and they are doing a regen and investigating.

Even if it wasn't an overfill, something went wrong with the DPF system to give me no warning and then shutdown.

Would the car be blowing smoke if the DPF was just full? I would think the car would shut you down before you got to that point.

The two stories above are very similar, I'm just worried about what else may have been damaged...

So irritated right now

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Man, I feel for you, that really sucks. when I got my DPF Full message, I was still able to drive the car. It was basically running without any turbo boost. No problem getting up to and maintaining highway speeds on my way to the dealer. Also, I never saw any smoke. I would bet good money your dealership screwed something up. Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
DPF won't create smoke.....it grabs particles, doesn't make particles.

In general, if it was overfilled and as long as it didn't go into a runaway, once the oil level is corrected it'll smoke a fair bit for quite a few miles till the excess oil gets burned out of the exaust system and be ok.

If the turbo seal failed, which I consider unlikely at this point, the accumulated oil in the intercooler has to be washed out and plan on the same timeline for exaust smoke as above.

Since the writer brought up 9 quart capacity......I'd be rather suspicious on the overfill thoughts.

Rob

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got the car back, paperwork states code P2463 FOR DEFF FLUID, RUN REGENERATION ON VEHICLE, DOUBLE CHECK OIL LEVEL FROM YESTERDAYS CHANGE, CLEAR CODES

Oil is billed at the bottom, so they dumped and refilled.

Seems to be running fine now, long as no longer term damage was done its fine, but man the engine sounded horrible during that time.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
They are liars, they overfilled it big time. I really think lots of damage could of been done. Just the varnish of oil throughout the turbo/intake/egr plus damage to exhaust system/sensors.

im not trying to be dramatic and everything I mention might not affect you tomorrow but it will someday prematurely. Jmho.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They are liars, they overfilled it big time. I really think lots of damage could of been done. Just the varnish of oil throughout the turbo/intake/egr plus damage to exhaust system/sensors.

im not trying to be dramatic and everything I mention might not affect you tomorrow but it will someday prematurely. Jmho.
Yep but there is nothing I can do about it unfortunately. It's documented so all I can really do is just prepare for the fight down the road really.

·
Registered
791 Posts
p2002 is .......diesel particulate filter efficiency below threshold. same as cat convertors, not as efficient as it use to be.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts