Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Any ideas why GM doesn't offer a remote start as an add on accessory like they do for other vehicles? I just picked up my 2014 Cruze the other day and when we were initially talking about buying the salesman thought it would be possible to add it on, however shortly before we closed on the deal we found out it wasn't offered on the Cruze's like it is for other vehicles.

The dealership gave me the name of a shop they work with to install aftermarket remote starts and a few other components that the dealer won't offer. I haven't given that shop a call yet but figured I would sometime soon just to figure out what what he would charge and what system he would use.

I'm just wondering what have some other individuals done in this situation? It's surprising that GM wouldn't offer a kit for this, like they have on some other vehicles like the Equinox. I would think that it would pretty simple especially on a car that does have the option to come from the factory with one. Anyone have any opinions about an aftermarket brand? I'm guessing there can't be any issues with it, especially since the dealership points you that direction for this situation.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It must be the drivers convenience package because I have the technology package and mine doesn't have it. What I was referring to was though on some of Chevy's other vehicles they offer basically a kit that contains the remote starter and everything to install either for the dealer to do or for you to do yourself, like fog lights or cruise control, etc. However for whatever reason the dealer said this isn't available as an add on for the Cruze. Pretty much if they didn't put in in on the assembly line, its like they can't do it which seems odd to me cause there has to be a way.

I figured I'd post to see if anyone found a dealer that would do it, or if anyone did the aftermarket option like my dealer directed me at.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Yes, it is available as a option.
No, Chevrolet doesn't offer it as a 'aftersale' accessory.
No, I don't know why.

For whatever its worth though, here in the cold North, we have found it to be useless......this little motor only gets hot if it is pulling the car......idling in the driveway gets you.....a cold car that burned half a gallon of gas.

Rob

·
Registered
307 Posts
For the record here, There is a both factory and aftermarket add on versions of remote start for GM vehicles.From what I understand modern GM vehicles with automatic transmissions are typically set up with the programming already in place for the remote start and just need some form of module. Im not super familiar with it but Ive had it done for customers before through our service department. Id recommend calling your local dealerships service department they can give you more details.

·
10,713 Posts
Yes, it is available as a option.
No, Chevrolet doesn't offer it as a 'aftersale' accessory.
No, I don't know why.

For whatever its worth though, here in the cold North, we have found it to be useless......this little motor only gets hot if it is pulling the car......idling in the driveway gets you.....a cold car that burned half a gallon of gas.

Rob
Seat heaters are the only perks of this. I had a 2lt rental for a month.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the record here, There is a both factory and aftermarket add on versions of remote start for GM vehicles.From what I understand modern GM vehicles with automatic transmissions are typically set up with the programming already in place for the remote start and just need some form of module. Im not super familiar with it but Ive had it done for customers before through our service department. Id recommend calling your local dealerships service department they can give you more details.
That's exactly what I thought also, however after calling the service department I found that the Cruze is one of the vehicles that GM doesn't offer it as an accessory that they can install. They did point me to a local vendor that they work with to install an aftermarket remote start though if I choose to do so.

Rob
That's a good point too, I live in PA and figured it might be good but I guess with just the little 1.4 it probably wouldn't warm up that much in 10 minutes to really make a difference.

Also from what I read online people with other Chevy's who had the dealer install the factory remote start after the vehicle was manufactured weren't able to have it integrated into the Onstar Remote Link App either. That would pretty much be the key selling point of the factory version since it would let you start it from anywhere. I know that some aftermarket versions offer a smartphone app too which accomplishes the same feature but as Rob pointed out earlier if it doesn't really get anywhere idling in 10 minutes then it may not be worth the $$.

·
Registered
150 Posts
so its pretty much a flashable option? i got that onstar link on my phone. and was disappointed when i saw i couldnt do that.

edit maybe i need to read the whole thread....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts