Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm building a custom subwoofer box for my cruze that will fit inside the trunk side panel. I measured out the box how it will be shaped and everything and I'm working with about .49 cubic feet for interior air space. I know that's a bit on the small side but I was thinking about doing a single 12" shallow mount sub. I am building the box with mdf & reinforcing the inside of the box with fiberglass resin.

I am kind of worried that the cubic feet I'm working with might be too small for a 12" sub. So, I'm considering going down to a 10" or changing the box design. I'm just trying to avoid using up a lot of trunk space. Anybody have an opinion on this? Any recommendations for a sub that would work in a box with .49 cubic feet? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here's a picture of a mock up box I created out of cardboard & duct tape to get an idea of how the box will be shaped and fit in the trunk.

IMG_2905.JPG

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
OP your pic is broken. If I were you see if you could squeeze .3 ^3 ft and go with 13TW5V2 its freakin awesome, expensive but awesome.

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
OP your pic is broken. If I were you see if you could squeeze .3 ^3 ft and go with 13TW5V2 its freakin awesome, expensive but awesome.
I've heard that sub. Not bad for a shallow mount, but every box I've heard it in was too small. No LFE. Try pushing it with a track like Hans Zimmer - The Kraken, and you really notice the lack of low end.

My experience with JL audio is that the quality is decent but they are woefully overpriced. You pay a LOT for the name, and to me, there's no value in that. I don't buy a sound system to show it off and try to impress people. I buy it so I could enjoy it. I couldn't care less what it looks like as long as it's not redneck hacked together.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've heard that sub. Not bad for a shallow mount, but every box I've heard it in was too small. No LFE. Try pushing it with a track like Hans Zimmer - The Kraken, and you really notice the lack of low end.

My experience with JL audio is that the quality is decent but they are woefully overpriced. You pay a LOT for the name, and to me, there's no value in that. I don't buy a sound system to show it off and try to impress people. I buy it so I could enjoy it. I couldn't care less what it looks like as long as it's not redneck hacked together.
Well, the JL sub I suggested is about $89 bucks. The other one is $600 and is made for a specific set of circumstances. My guess is that JL put a lot of engineering into the 13TW5V2 and don't sell/produce that many, hence the higher price. The poster did ask for suggestions, so what would you use? I've had Jensen subs that sounded good and it was a $30 special from Meijer. US made products are always more expensive than cheap China junk.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Well, the JL sub I suggested is about $89 bucks. The other one is $600 and is made for a specific set of circumstances. My guess is that JL put a lot of engineering into the 13TW5V2 and don't sell/produce that many, hence the higher price. The poster did ask for suggestions, so what would you use? I've had Jensen subs that sounded good and it was a $30 special from Meijer. US made products are always more expensive than cheap China junk.
I am a JL Audio dealer and the two subs you suggested are made in China!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am a JL Audio dealer and the two subs you suggested are made in China!

Ha! That's funny! I stand corrected........ What isn't made in China these days? :) Not trying to hijack the post with JL only shizzle, but they were the first ones to come to my mind. I am sure there are other comparable subs that would meet the poster's initial question.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts

You are such a liar lol you demo' d your car to everyone lol. J/K
With the TW5 I challenge you to hear it again because you are not describing the subwoofer I install weekly. JL makes 3 different shallow mounts and I hate the other 2. I prefer this over all other jl subs my second fav is the 13.5 W3. I will bet you thought you were listening to this sub but in fact were listening to the tw3 or tw1.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Ha! That's funny! I stand corrected........ What isn't made in China these days? :) Not trying to hijack the post with JL only shizzle, but they were the first ones to come to my mind. I am sure there are other comparable subs that would meet the poster's initial question.
W3 and up is made in FL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The real question is mounting depth and your sonic expectations
Mounting depth is 6" & I'm not looking for a top of the line system I just want to get some better sound in my car with good low hitting bass. Nothing really specific in expectations

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know the Polk Dxi line doesn't need much air space and they sound good, I run a single JL W0 and it sounds great it is In a pretty large box so hard to say how it sounds in a small box

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had JL's and they were awesome. I think you might have to go smaller than a 10 to get .49 cu ft, but with a little bit of a larger design you could use this:

10WXv2-4 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Drivers - WXv2 - JL Audio

Not too bad for $89 bucks. 200 watt amp with sealed enclosure should measure .625 cu feet internally.

This one only needs .350 cu feet sealed, but it's an 8".

8W1v3-4 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Drivers - W1v3 - JL Audio

Matt

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
These subs are punchy if you do go with them make sure you stuff the crap outta your enclosure!

I would recommend the BM MKIV 12 (no longer made) OR MKV (not made yet) by Stereo Integrity

Whats your budget?
Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking around $200 for the sub. Probably would go up if I can't find anything decent for that price.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts