Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Just bought another Cruze after going a long time without one. I really do love these cars!

My first one was purchased with my Ex. An amazing 2012 ECO 6 Spd Manual. I was always impressed what that car could do fuel economy wise on the highway. Even without a tune! What I didn't like is the fact that the ECO model wasn't permitted to have additional options or creature comforts that many enjoy.

Fast forward to now. My 2014 LT has a lot of amenities I like. Remote Start, Leather, Push Button Start, Nav/Entertainment Head Unit, Heated Seats, etc...

But the LT doesn't exactly have the fuel economy that the ECO does. And I understand will never truly come close to it due to the fact it is missing the tall gearing of the ECO's manual gearset.

I wonder if I equip the car with all the other ECO modifications that GM did, just how well the LT perform?

I have located ECO rims, needed summer rims and tires anyways as the car luckily came with winter tires! So if I purchase a set of Goodyear Fuelmax tires, that is two birds with one stone.
Next is under body panels, I am going to check and see what is missing. It is easy enough to order those pieces thru work
Removing the spare and adding a Tire Inflation kit is also easy
Lowering the car to ECO ride height requires some more effort, but doable. Swapping springs is never a fun job though. But I have plenty of experience in coil swaps.
Apparently the ECO had a specific lower airdam spoiler as well. A rear decklid spoiler too, though I doubt it does much.

By far the most difficult will be adding the Active Grille Shutters. I saw some people had success removing the shutters and eliminating the related Engine trouble codes by swapping the Fuel Pump Control Module with one from a Non ECO model when they needed to install a FMIC.

Does anyone know, if one can simply install AND operate Active Grille Shutters if one were to install the Fuel Pump Control Module designed for an ECO model car?

This all hinges on whether or not wiring already exists on my car to plug into the grille shutters. I know some automakers use one wiring harness for all models and simply ignore the wiring for cars not equipped with that option. I plan to hunt for unused wiring underneath the car this weekend.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Best bang for your buck would be swap out the trans for the better gearing. Everything else after that is smoke and mirrors calculations.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best bang for your buck would be swap out the trans for the better gearing. Everything else after that is smoke and mirrors calculations.
Swapping to an ECO transmission is just about the most expensive option in the ECO model's tool box. Probably too cost prohibitive for me to even attempt that one, but would be cool if I could!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I remember reading on here that someone blocked off the lower grill and had no problems with the engine temps, even during the summer

go with the lower temp thermostat to give you peace of mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about attempting something basic like a full block and then keep the tools handy in the car for a quick removal. Not sure about messing with thermostat temps yet, as I had had a lot of experience with vehicles where if they never get up to operating temp, the computer just tells the engine to dump fuel to help it get up to temp.

Do you know what the rated operating temp is supposed to be?

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Do you know what the rated operating temp is supposed to be?
It's variable and controlled by the ECM by using the heater attached to the thermostat. Sorry, I don't have the numbers.

You might want to hunt posts here about the shutters. I think some people ended up taking them out (too expensive to fix after an accident). I'm thinking the MPG change was pretty small.

·
Registered
487 Posts
After I swapped the engine, I damaged the shutter by mistake and it was locked half way open. To get rid of the error codes, I swapped the Fuel Pump Control Module with a non ECO from a junk yard. No more codes! A few days later I found and corrected my mistake, the shutter works again, even I did NOT changed back the Fuel Pump Module! I will leave it as it is for now and monitor it later when the weather gets warmer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After I swapped the engine, I damaged the shutter by mistake and it was locked half way open. To get rid of the error codes, I swapped the Fuel Pump Control Module with a non ECO from a junk yard. No more codes! A few days later I found and corrected my mistake, the shutter works again, even I did NOT changed back the Fuel Pump Module! I will leave it as it is for now and monitor it later when the weather gets warmer.
Just curious, what was the mistake you found?

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I believe the CCM is what does the actual controlling of the shutter. The fuel pump control module is just a slave module.

Meaning the CCM may need to have eco or diesel programming.

Also on Gen 2s I believe its the BCM.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just curious, what was the mistake you found?
When I put the front bumper back I was alone and at some point it felt when I was trying to adjust it on one side. The other side was with the connector for the shutter already in place and the wire connected to the vehicle dragged the whole assembly, just enough for some plastic components to be off their tracks. I didn't realize that, I put everything back then later got the codes. Swapping the fuel module was the "easy" fix but later, when I had time, I looked into details and properly push back the grille assembly. Like I said I'm still using the fuel pump module for non Eco but I can see the shutter is working again. Since I have no codes, I assume the fuel pump module is a slave of the shutter but can't really see how it suppose to work in reality and what improvements to get from this "relation" between them? I put already ~1000 miles on the car and I see no MPG difference...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have recently done a coolant flush in order to swap a faulty water pump. I could not see any unused wiring hidden away when I had the under bumper shield removed. Looks like I might be making a partial lower grille block and monitoring the car closely.

Do any ECO owners have pics where the wiring path to the shutters would be? Just want to verify that my car doesn't have this pigtail hidden someplace I haven't looked yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts