Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I'm reading how simple the "stock" fogs are to install, but apparently you will or may need the bcm to be programmed to run them? Can anyone verify? Here's my thought. I want to run a rigid light bar in my lower grill, and attach it to the factory fog light button (that I don't have and will install) and put my rigid light wiring in the factory fuse box to run it without splicing the harness or adding an aftermarket button drilled in somewhere.

So so back to the main question, what will you need to do to use the factory button in the factory fuse box and will the bcm be cool with it, or how do I make it all happy and working?

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts
The short answer - you may. Some cars haven't needed it, some do. I don't recall if there's a pattern to figure out where you fall.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crap. Thanks for the fast reply

What do I call the dealer and ask for to price it out? Any people have experience on prices and will they know what to do when I ask them to reflash the bcm for fog lights?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 12 and no idea of the date code (although not hard to figure out) so I'm basically going in to it planning on worst case scenario

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you know anything about electrical on a car, this is an easy one. If you don't, it's still easy. To find out if your bcm needs the flash or not, open up the fuse panel under the hood.Locate the fog lamp fuse (can't remember which one it is but it isn't hard to find). Take any 12v light or a test light and connect one side of the light to top of the fuse (one of the two exposed metal parts on top) and then the other lead of the light to any nearest body ground source. If the light lights, you're good. If not, you will need a flash.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's great advice and helpful. I don't have the button so would it still work without the button? I was under the assumption the bcm controlled that before the box

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just called Berger Chevrolet in Grand Rapids, they said its manufacture date is 9/11 and will likely need to be reprogrammed. They said the kit is $230 and install around $60 (including reflash?) but all I really wanted was the factory button to give me power in the correct fuse, not really needing the gm stuff past the fuse box. Kind of at a loss, $100 to turn on a bcm button

·
Registered
505 Posts
You can still verify wether or not you need to reprogram it without the button. That circuit is live regardless if it's turned on via the interior button or not. honestly the best route to go if you are trying to save money and have decent fogs is to get the set off eBay for $49.99. Many users have them and best of all you can get them easily replaced for free of you run into any issues because this is just how the games goes on eBay. The sellers of these accessories will get afraid of getting negative feedback and will send you free replacements while letting you keep the new ones. This is what happened to me. I wasn't pleased with one little thing and now I have 2 kits for just 49.99. Many users on here have those same kits.one of the names the kit goes under on Amazon and eBay is Spider Auto. Then you can easily find the factory plug and play switch on eBay or at a junk yard. I found mine on eBay from a junkyard that sells parts online for about. So you can give yourself a 100 percent factory installation for less than $100, not even.

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts
If you know anything about electrical on a car, this is an easy one. If you don't, it's still easy. To find out if your bcm needs the flash or not, open up the fuse panel under the hood.Locate the fog lamp fuse (can't remember which one it is but it isn't hard to find). Take any 12v light or a test light and connect one side of the light to top of the fuse (one of the two exposed metal parts on top) and then the other lead of the light to any nearest body ground source. If the light lights, you're good. If not, you will need a flash.
Can you explain how that works? If it's like the high-beam circuit I looked up, the fuse won't have power until the fog light relay is on. And that won't happen until you push the fog light button. If the fuse is before the relay, it would have power all the time - unless you're saying there's a fusebox modification that goes along with the reflash.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I do believe I had the switch before I tested it. I went out just now to verify and you do have to have it on via the interior switch first. i guess in my case I was just so anxious to get the fog lights that I ordered the switch first before the serperate $49.99 kit because if none of it worked I knew I could return it all hassle free. The only switch plus eBay fogs are a killer combination. You can even find an 18-20 gauge wire terminal so you can actually install it into the backside of the fuse box instead of using an add a fuse, making it just like factory. No way am I paying close to 400 for some fog lights. These dealerships are crazy.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Check out ebay for deals on factory fogs. You may have to check often but I got mine for $120 shipped (I have seen them go for cheaper) Use these numbers 95248415, 95903470 and 96983696. Check the box for "include description" when searching. Don't be afraid to make offers if they best offer listed. The person had mine listed for $175. I got them down to $105.

·
10,705 Posts
Just called Berger Chevrolet in Grand Rapids, they said its manufacture date is 9/11 and will likely need to be reprogrammed. They said the kit is $230 and install around $60 (including reflash?) but all I really wanted was the factory button to give me power in the correct fuse, not really needing the gm stuff past the fuse box. Kind of at a loss, $100 to turn on a bcm button
They told you that?

Cruze Accessory Fog Lamps

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah when I told them the last 8 of the vin, that's what they said. Just checked the body sticker in the door and that's accurate. So there's no way to get around the bcm calibration then, huh...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just called another dealer and got "I don't think that's even possible." Uhhhh, I can give you website links and show you it is, I just need some help on the bcm program. *office space voice* "yeah, ummm, let me call you back if my tech says we can do it". Ok, thanks guy lol

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a 2014 cruze 2lt and I had my installer put in some LED foglights direct to the daytime running lights, they worked good until 1 night they stayed on ALL NIGHT! I could not get them to turn off and didn't have the space or tools to see what could be causing it. As of now they don't turn on anymore, could it be that it blew a fuse? or what would cause them to stay on all night and then not turn on again?

·
10,705 Posts
Yeah when I told them the last 8 of the vin, that's what they said. Just checked the body sticker in the door and that's accurate. So there's no way to get around the bcm calibration then, huh...
Just called another dealer and got "I don't think that's even possible." Uhhhh, I can give you website links and show you it is, I just need some help on the bcm program. *office space voice* "yeah, ummm, let me call you back if my tech says we can do it". Ok, thanks guy lol

Link above if they really needed it for update. Only the 13's listed in the link needed to be turned on.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts