Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I like to do, and I'm only guessing that they are called "puddle lights". I had a 2013 Nissan Altima with a really cool feature. When I opened the doors, or hit the lock / unlock button on the remote, a strip of LED lights under the car near the front doors would light up. They would dim out as the interior lights dimmed out. They looked really nice and I've been contemplating trying this on my truck and now my new Cruze. I would think I could tap into one of the interior lights that lights up when the unlock button is pushed (come to think of it, I'm not dead sure a light does light up when the unlock button is pushed as I haven't even driven the car at night yet).

I'm wondering if anyone has tried something like this?

I think this project wouldn't be too terribly difficult, but I don't have much experience buying LEDs. Also wondering if anyone would have a suggestion as far as an LED light set up that I could mount to the bottom of the car for this purpose. I would think it would need to be some sort of strip with a few bulbs, maybe big enough to light up a strip of 3-4 feet under the door.

·
Premium Member
8,012 Posts
The one concern I have about driving things off the dome lights is that the they're all controlled by the body computer. I don't know any ratings of what the body computer can handle. I'm contemplating designing an "amplifier" (for lack of a better term) so that the dome lights control an add-on circuit. That way, the added current doesn't flow though the body computer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The one concern I have about driving things off the dome lights is that the they're all controlled by the body computer. I don't know any ratings of what the body computer can handle. I'm contemplating designing an "amplifier" (for lack of a better term) so that the dome lights control an add-on circuit. That way, the added current doesn't flow though the body computer.
A diode, fuse, and relay will ensure no damage happens to your BCM (a little knowledge of DC circuits and ohms law helps too)

·
Registered
28 Posts
No need to! Chevy has luminous door sil plates that are hooked on the dome light (get's the wires from underneath the plastic covers on passengers side foot area) Cruze Accessories: Bodykits, Custom Graphics | Chevrolet
You can ask dealer to check out for wiring and buy some of the Chinese light stuff (doesn't cost much ) that do a pretty cool job, like this one :Cruze Accessories: Bodykits, Custom Graphics | Chevrolet
or if you prefer not to drill holes in your door panel:
2PCS/Lot New 6th Generation Ghost Shadow Car Door Light Led Laser Logo Projector Decal Countesy Lamp No Drilling-in Lights & Indicators from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

·
Premium Member
8,012 Posts
A diode, fuse, and relay will ensure no damage happens to your BCM (a little knowledge of DC circuits and ohms law helps too)
Effective. But there will be no dimming. My amp design (probably two transistors) would pass along the PCM so it would fade in/out like the dome light does.

But a relay would still be preferable to having to install another switch for manual operation.

·
Premium Member
8,012 Posts
The bcm only controls what turns on. Current and voltage is controlled by fuses and the battery respectively
I'm not quite sure what you are responding to. Max voltage is probably 15V or so, set by the charging system when running. Amps is a function of what devices you attach. But in the case of the dome lights, they are not controlled by a relay or a switch, but but are connected directly to the BCM and ground. Attach more things to the dome lights, and more current is going to try and flow though the BCM. How much can you attach before something happens? Don't know. What exactly will happen? Again, don't know. The BCM may have internal protection, or it might go "poof".

Since shorts are not unknown, (and I've seen some lamps have a big surge when they blow) so perhaps there's protection. I'd like to think so. But without information to the contrary, I wouldn't want to make assumptions or give out advice that might cause someone to blow out their module.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Also ... if you switch out your interior bulbs to LEDs, then add your LED "puddle lights" you'll be drawing far fewer amps across the BCM and it shouldn't be an issue. Some vehicles actually mount those lights in the bottom of the mirrors ...

·
Premium Member
8,012 Posts
Also ... if you switch out your interior bulbs to LEDs, then add your LED "puddle lights" you'll be drawing far fewer amps across the BCM and it shouldn't be an issue.
Good point. (Although I'd measure the actual current first. The replacements might have a load resistor that may not reduce the current by enough.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you are responding to. Max voltage is probably 15V or so, set by the charging system when running. Amps is a function of what devices you attach. But in the case of the dome lights, they are not controlled by a relay or a switch, but but are connected directly to the BCM and ground. Attach more things to the dome lights, and more current is going to try and flow though the BCM. How much can you attach before something happens? Don't know. What exactly will happen? Again, don't know. The BCM may have internal protection, or it might go "poof".

Since shorts are not unknown, (and I've seen some lamps have a big surge when they blow) so perhaps there's protection. I'd like to think so. But without information to the contrary, I wouldn't want to make assumptions or give out advice that might cause someone to blow out their module.
If you hook up the load in series nothing will happen except each of the lights won't have as much voltage (they won't be as bright). Current is near constant in a series circuit. You would only have an issue of current increasing with the load if you hooked it up in parallel. Being an electrical signal you can calculate everything out on paper and know exactly what's going to happen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.