Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has added any additional forward facing lights?

I'm about fed up with the mediocre (at best) lighting on the Cruze. I do a majority of my driving at night since I'm on my way to work before dawn and at/close to dark in the fall and winter months.

I've almost been thinking I would remove the factory fog lights and place a home brew bracket in there to hold a couple of these bad boys...

Dually D2

·
Registered
904 Posts
The fog lights are not for distance vision, and really do nothing to enhance distance vision. They are not supposed to. The aim on them is different so that you can get better vision during foggy driving situations. And that works best with the headlights are turned off when the fogs are in use. Of course, you then have to slow down which is what you should do anyway when you can't see so far down he road.

If you want to enhance general night vision, then either use better lamps or replace the headlight assemblies entirely. I'm happy with the Sylvania Silverstars. They made a noticeable improvement.

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has added any additional forward facing lights?

I'm about fed up with the mediocre (at best) lighting on the Cruze. I do a majority of my driving at night since I'm on my way to work before dawn and at/close to dark in the fall and winter months.

I've almost been thinking I would remove the factory fog lights and place a home brew bracket in there to hold a couple of these bad boys...

Dually D2
Go to my signature and click on the link for my list of articles. Then find the one I wrote on improving your headlight wiring harness. That will make a significant difference, legally. Add a pair of higher output bulbs and you'll be very happy with your lighting.

Oh, and adjust your headlights first. They are horribly adjusted from the factory.

Sent from my Bulletproof_Doubleshot using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fog lights are not for distance vision, and really do nothing to enhance distance vision. They are not supposed to. The aim on them is different so that you can get better vision during foggy driving situations. And that works best with the headlights are turned off when the fogs are in use. Of course, you then have to slow down which is what you should do anyway when you can't see so far down he road.

If you want to enhance general night vision, then either use better lamps or replace the headlight assemblies entirely. I'm happy with the Sylvania Silverstars. They made a noticeable improvement.
I realize the fog lights aren't made for distance. They still don't put out much light, IMO. I know they're not but maybe 4" in diameter, but still. I also don't like the fact that they don't have any provisions for aiming. I've thought about doing a HID retro fit with nice projectors, but I don't have that much time to work on them and I don't want to spend $1000 on a set.

Go to my signature and click on the link for my list of articles. Then find the one I wrote on improving your headlight wiring harness. That will make a significant difference, legally. Add a pair of higher output bulbs and you'll be very happy with your lighting.

Oh, and adjust your headlights first. They are horribly adjusted from the factory.

Sent from my Bulletproof_Doubleshot using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Thanks, I'll take a look at the harness and aiming. I've thought about throwing some higher wattage bulbs in there but didn't know if the harness could handle the extra amps with the higher wattage bulb. I've had previous vehicles where I've melted the connectors with 100W bulbs. I didn't exactly want to mangle a harness in my new car.

I guess I can't expect what I got out of my Jeep. :wink: I suppose I'm still used to this...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Try some yellow 3000°K bulbs as well (in the fog housing, NOT the low beam). That color is designed specifically with foggy vision enhancement in mind.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
If you want distance, swapping the OEM fogs for driving lights like Hella Micro DE's would be a great option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts