Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, for those of you who like to use your phone for Bluetooth or navigation like I do in my Eco (w/o nav), you might have noticed a bit of an issue: To put your phone up on the dash or windshield in a phone holder AND have it plugged into power, your power cord needs to stretch over your gearshift. Now, if you have an automatic, maybe it's no big deal. But, if you have a stick, it SUCKS.

So, I'm wondering if there is a way to add an additional USB or regular power outlet where I can run my cord so it doesn't get in the way of the gear shift. I have the one USB port in the center console, but I keep a 16GB flash drive in there for music. I would like to run a power cord up through the dash to the storage compartment on top of the dash. I can go buy a 15 foot micro USB cord and snake it through the carpet and all that and have it plug in to one of the power outlets, but is there an easier way? Or, better yet, is there a power outlet I don't know about hidden by thoughtful engineers? ;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Your best bet would be to snake that cord I think. I bought a USB adapter that plugs into the power socket right above the cupholder. My iPhone cord is long enough to go from there up to the stereo screen where I lay/prop up my phone. The cord lays to the driver's side of the stick. That works for me but if you're looking to mount it further than that...hmmmm.

Reactions: bbdhomer

·
Registered
154 Posts
Your best bet would be to snake that cord I think. I bought a USB adapter that plugs into the power socket right above the cupholder. My iPhone cord is long enough to go from there up to the stereo screen where I lay/prop up my phone. The cord lays to the driver's side of the stick. That works for me but if you're looking to mount it further than that...hmmmm.

would strongly recommend that option as I've done that myself... very handy and saves a LOT of work/frustration ...... unless OP wants to go all out on mounting the external (or additional) USB connector

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I think that's what I will do, I just wish there was a good place to snake it out that it wouldn't look like garbage. Don't really want to hack anything up. Will try to remove the top storage compartment, drill a small hole in it for the cord.

Anybody know if that storage compartment on the top of the dash pops right out? I'm assuming it does, since some cars have a speaker there.

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
I am sure you can go to Radio Shack ro Best Buy and buy and but an additional power outlet and wire it into your fuseblock. Thought about doing the same for my LS for my GPS but I use my GPS so little it is not an issue. I know what you mean I have to drape the power cord over the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Have you tried a USB extender from the end of your power cord to your phone? The other option is to install small wire guides along the outside of the silver cover that runs up to the radio and run the power cord through them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts