Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added a spoiler to my car and now when I open using the FOB it barely opens. Is there a way to adjust the force using the 2 bars in the trunk? The only one I see could move would be one from the a securing clip. I can live with it, sometimes I can't tell if it is open or not. :question:

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I just added a spoiler to my car and now when I open using the FOB it barely opens. Is there a way to adjust the force using the 2 bars in the trunk? The only one I see could move would be one from the a securing clip. I can live with it, sometimes I can't tell if it is open or not. :question:
The trunk release was only made to either have no spoiler, or just the lip from the rs/eco.

If you put an aftermarket spoiler on, it sounds like it's just too heavy for the trunk. I'm not sure you can adjust the amount of force it uses to release the latch, sorry bud

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Other GM cars that had a torsion bar system had adjustment notches. If you do adjust it, be careful as they are under much torsion. They can easily injure you if they aren't respected.

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Other GM cars that had a torsion bar system had adjustment notches. If you do adjust it, be careful as they are under much torsion. They can easily injure you if they aren't respected.
Mine has 2 torsion bars but they are both being held in place by a vertical clip. Would removing and or both from the clip change the force? They seem like they are just there with no tension applied to them not like the old torsion bar system you are talking about. I wil probably just live with it as I cannot take off the spoiler since there were hold drilled to put it on and it is not all that bad.

·
Registered
27 Posts
here are my suggestions:

1. remove the spoiler.... if it is so large that it affects your trunk opening, it is probably very ugly, and your cruze will never go fast enough for it to provide any function anyway

2. go to a junk yard and look for hood or hatch struts from other cars, or buy an aftermarket hood strut kit and install it in your trunk.

3. live with it. lift the trunk manually.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ouuuuu. The strut idea is nice. I have the standard lip spoiler on mine and id like it to pop open all the way (only time I don't like that is on a rainy day... All the water from behind the tail lights drips into the trunk if you don't let it drain before fully opening. )

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In reply to CruzeMax, I have an aftermarket standard lip spoiler on mine and id like it to pop open all the way but the trunk never did open all the way when I hit the fob. When I open under the trunk I am opening manually anyway. I can't and don't want to remove it. There were holes drilled to mount it. What I was worried about is not a valid point by a warning on the dash that tells you the trunk is open. It is not a big deal. I have no complaints with it after about the first day or so. I remember when they made torsion bars that changed the way the trunk opened. I was looking to find out if those are true with the Cruze. I guess not. No problem. Amen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are a couple of "bump stops", that can be adjusted, but they will only pop the trunk. Torsion bars are not adjustable, unless you are able to fabricate a new lock in for them that would lift them up an inch or so. You might be able to place some sort of block between the bar, and the little lock latch that holds it, and then use a large zip strip to lock it in so it won't pop off.........

·
Registered
296 Posts
Interesting! Where do you get a bungee cord that long? Thx for the tip
Am not actually sure where you can get those back there in the US.
However, over here in the Philippines, we can buy them at our local Ace Hardware. :)

cheers!
phantom

update :

I just checked online, and Lowe's sells bungee cords. :)

Bungee Cords at Lowe's

HTH
phantom

·
Registered
172 Posts
I did something like that for mine, but I routed mine the other way (hard to describe); however, that frays the bungee cord. This one appears to work better as it fixes the point on the bar so it doesn't fray, although you need to find a way to fix it.

I've ordered a few adjustable springs from China's Taobao.com to see if they'll provide a more robust solution.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
,i hate having it pop open,i was in work one day and i hit the button on the key fob and my car was 20ft away and it opend to my trunk and i walked out on my lunch to find a theif stealing my subs stole my jacket and backpack for school,and after that experince i dont want mine springing open with joy now so alil dynamat held her down

·
Registered
682 Posts
here's something you guys wanna try. :)

Chevrolet Cruze Kofferraumdeckel - YouTube
Tried this yesterday and it was a complete fail. I got a 32" bungee from the local hardware store, hooked it up the way shown and there wasn't enough power to it. Tried changing the anchor points to have it stretch a little tighter to the point where it was too tight and still no lift all the way.

So then I switched it for a 24" bungee, the next size down that I could find. It was too short :(. Needless to say I'm a little bummed out. Maybe I should try 2 32" bungees?

·
Contest Manager
2,251 Posts
Tried this yesterday and it was a complete fail. I got a 32" bungee from the local hardware store, hooked it up the way shown and there wasn't enough power to it.
Did you use zip ties like in the video. I didn't notice them at first.i had to watch again to realize It.

Sent from iPhone 4

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.