Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Cruze LT

I currently have a whistler radar detector and recently purchased a G1W dash-cam after being hit be a driver. My plan is to direct wire these to the fuse box on the driver side where I currently have LED glow lights hard wired.

I purchased all of the wiring for both and two add-a-circuits for these. My question is what amp fuse do I need to use for this, ie. 5, 10, 20 or doesn't it matter? My other question is which fuses turn off with the car? Right now I am using fuse #6 (cigarette lighter) for my lights and that works great.

Also do I need to purchase additional fuses for this? By that I mean that right now with my lights, I just removed the fuse that was previously there, put in the add-a-circuit, and pushed the already existing fuse into the add-a-circuit, do I need two fuses instead? Lastly, is this even possible to have 3 add-a-circuits? Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The purpose of a fuse is to prevent the wring from catching on fire in the event of a short or a overload. My gut feeling is that 5A is plenty for the radar detector and dash cam, but I'd double check. As long as all wires are thick enough to carry the fuse's rated current (so a short on any wire will blow the fuse and not the wire), you can run them all off one add-in fuse.

The main reason to have separate fuses is so a malfunction in on circuit doesn't kill all of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! So with 5 amp fuse, do you mean to plug them into fuses with 5 amp? Or that wherever I decide to plug it in, I need a 5 amp fuse to plug in to the add-a-circuit along with the original fuse? And are you saying that I should be able to put multiple wires into the add-a-circuit? That would be great if I could have them all connected to that #6 fuse, and if I understand correctly, put in a 5 amp fuse?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Where did you mount that dash cam at?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the dash cam I am going to be mounting it on the windshield behind the rear view mirror. Running the cord up along the top under the headliner and then behind the A pillar to the left.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'm not sure how much current the LEDs take. But it's possible you can simply splice all three items together to run off of a single add-a-circuit. For just the radar detector and camera, I'd think 5A fuse in the add-a-circuit would be enough.

If you want to use more add-a-circuits to have separate fuses, that's fine. I don't have a diagram for the 2012 that tells me what other fuses you could tap into.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts