Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, close to pulling the trigger on my son's first car (2103 LT1). Would appreciate some advice on this Bob King Mazda in Winston Salem serving Greensboro NC, High Point and Burlington- New and used cars in North Carolina

We went to look at and drive it Saturday. Overall it went pretty well. Couple things I noticed:

1. Seemed to be a a lot of over-steer. As if it was "floating" a bit is about the best way to describe it. Is that normal for these?
  2. Both back doors didn't close solidly. Meaning there was a bit of vibrating/shaking when closing with any force.
  3. I understand these engines have a timing chain and not a belt, correct?
Otherwise considering the age and miles it seemed in pretty good shape. I would be pulling the trigger this week after having a mechanic check it out. Any specific "issues" I should have him check for? They won't move on the price but as is seems a bit below market value so I'm OK with that. Any advice or comments are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
7,936 Posts
Hi all, close to pulling the trigger on my son's first car (2103 LT1). Would appreciate some advice on this https ://www.bobkingmazda.com/vehicles/2013-chevrolet-cruze-1lt-9ma0960a-1g1pc5sb1d7130716-9f6490a9-2dc8-4f41-b65d-0f30748c26b6

We went to look at and drive it Saturday. Overall it went pretty well. Couple things I noticed:

1. Seemed to be a a lot of over-steer. As if it was "floating" a bit is about the best way to describe it. Is that normal for these?
  2. Both back doors didn't close solidly. Meaning there was a bit of vibrating/shaking when closing with any force.
  3. I understand these engines have a timing chain and not a belt, correct?
Otherwise considering the age and miles it seemed in pretty good shape. I would be pulling the trigger this week after having a mechanic check it out. Any specific "issues" I should have him check for? They won't move on the price but as is seems a bit below market value so I'm OK with that. Any advice or comments are appreciated.
Welcome Aboard!(y)

I would say the tires are the first issue without being able to drive it.
As for the doors, many have come off the line needing to be readjusted, mine include. You could see what a body shop will charge to adjust and negotiate that price a bit.

Timing chain and a serpentine belt

The main thing to look for in the engine bay is the PCV valve in the intake.

2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

This is a reply I put together for someone else you may want to look at. Just remember that if you had to fix all of the most common issues, if you do the work yourself, it would be about $500 or less if the fluids are good to go.

Post in thread 'Ac off due to high engine temp'

Here is another thread of interest

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,706 Posts
Yes, timing chain.

Cruze doors usually make a pretty solid thunk when closing. Looks like there was an accident in the left front.

The electric power steering is a little bit over-sensitive if you're not used to it, but it should track straight down a road. Possibly needs an alignment or they are just cheap tires on the car.

Ask your mechanic to check the condition of the PCV system and look for oil/coolant leaks as they are common with these cars. Plan on doing a coolant/brake/trans fluid flush.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome Aboard!(y)

I would say the tires are the first issue without being able to drive it.
As for the doors, many have come off the line needing to be readjusted, mine include. You could see what a body shop will charge to adjust and negotiate that price a bit.

Timing chain and a serpentine belt

The main thing to look for in the engine bay is the PCV valve in the intake.

Thanks! The tires are in pretty good shape. Assume you are referring to these PCV issues? https ://www.cruzetalk.com/threads/2011-2016-cruze-1-4-pcv-valve-cover-intake-manifold-issues.192442/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, timing chain.

Cruze doors usually make a pretty solid thunk when closing. Looks like there was an accident in the left front.

The electric power steering is a little bit over-sensitive if you're not used to it, but it should track straight down a road. Possibly needs an alignment or they are just cheap tires on the car.

Ask your mechanic to check the condition of the PCV system and look for oil/coolant leaks as they are common with these cars. Plan on doing a coolant/brake/trans fluid flush.

Thanks, yes regarding the accident, my untrained eye didn't see anything they didn't repair from that area. Supposedly no airbag deployed and damage was "minor to moderate".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, they claim they only have the AutoCheck report shown in the link to the car page I posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a reply I put together for someone else you may want to look at. Just remember that if you had to fix all of the most common issues, if you do the work yourself, it would be about $500 or less if the fluids are good to go.

Post in thread 'Ac off due to high engine temp'

Here is another thread of interest
Missed this at first. So I am decently handy but typically don't dive in to maintenance much past oil changes and plugs. I'm starting to think rolling the dice on a gen1 is not my best move. But I also think I'll tell the seller the same and see if he really can't move on the price. Thanks again for all the info.

·
Super Moderator
7,936 Posts
Missed this at first. So I am decently handy but typically don't dive in to maintenance much past oil changes and plugs. I'm starting to think rolling the dice on a gen1 is not my best move. But I also think I'll tell the seller the same and see if he really can't move on the price. Thanks again for all the info.
Look at the How-To's. They are really easy for the most part. Maybe replacing the intake and / or the valve cover would be the worst and those are not bad. There are many videos as well to help you make up your mind. And most vehicles do not need all of this. You came to a forum looking for good information. You can pick another vehicle and go to it's forum and if it is as good as this one, you'll get a similar list, but more than likely you'll get , yeah the car runs great because there are no real mechanics on the site. Jut sayin' - better to be informed than walking around with your head you know where.

·
Super Moderator
7,936 Posts
if
Thanks, they claim they only have the AutoCheck report shown in the link to the car page I posted.
If it is a legit dealer and not a used car lot, go to a different salesman. If it is a used car lot or a private seller, ask for the VIN and post it here.

NM: 1G1PC5SB1D7130716

I do not see the Autocheck, did I miss the link?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if

If it is a legit dealer and not a used car lot, go to a different salesman. If it is a used car lot or a private seller, ask for the VIN and post it here.
Vin: 1G1PC5SB1D7130716

What do you expect the Carfax will show that the AutoCheck won't?

·
Super Moderator
7,936 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
True Car reports at least one accident
Yes, do you typically avoid vehicles that have been in one (with no airbag deployment)? Using the "17c" method to determine diminished value doesn't reduce the value much at all on older cars.

·
Super Moderator
7,936 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't notified of your post for some reason...
Not necessarily, but if the accident caused the door misalignment I would skip it, but you need to have a bodyman evaluate it for you. I am not familiar with the 17c method.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts