Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up fellow Cruzers, I need some advice on some front and rear strut bars. I have a 2014 2lt auto STOCK, and came upon bad news racing from a fellow member.

My question is, are these worth the price and effort? and If I do install these, is there anything I need to replace or also install to make this mod worth it?

Thanks in advance and any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Welcome to Bad News Racing

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/12-w...3228-ultra-racing-front-strut-bar-review.html

I think for a daily driver the front upper strut bar is gonna be the most beneficial, tightening up the steering but not really making your ride uncomfortable. I can't personally speak for this but I know there are many members here who have had ALL or some of the other braces/bars installed and many of them speak of them scraping the ground, rusting, being too tight for bumpy city roads, etc..

I've also read that only installing rear bars can hurt the steering some, so I'd start with the upper front bar for that reason, it seems overall the most beneficial for a daily driver.

All you other guys feel free to chip in!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I am really thinking of the rear & front strut tower braces. I have put them on other cars with great improvement to the handling & for $240 for front & rear shipped + tax is a no brainer on cost vs. fun

·
Registered
574 Posts
I also had front & rear in other cars & was more than fine. PS I plan to drive normal but helpful to have better handling for the price

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Lower bars are considered chassis braces. These will stiffen the chassis and should improve driving dynamics. Ultra Racing makes a number of braces and tower bars for the Cruze, I had upper and lower bars on my Cruze.

Reactions: txcruze26

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I see Ultra Racing has the following for 2008-Cruze

Side chassis bar- £ 85.38
Front lower brace- £ 133.67
Mid lower brace- £125.04
Rear Lower brace-
£ 81.92
Rear Lower brace-
£145.74
Front Strut Brace- £ 145.74
Rear Strut Brace-
£ 81.92

So which of these are must haves? if not all?

any suggestions or feedback are accepted and appreciated!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I just ordered the front & rear top strut tower braces. I'll let you know how much affect it has when I put them on this weekend. IMO the only other ones I would get is the rear lower one because of the ground clearance it less than what it is now & unless you plan on racing for real real then the tops are good enough. here is a link to some that are sold here in USA. Those prices are in LBs too^

cruze bars in Suspension & Steering | eBay

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just ordered the front & rear top strut tower braces. I'll let you know how much affect it has when I put them on this weekend. IMO the only other ones I would get is the rear lower one because of the ground clearance it less than what it is now & unless you plan on racing for real real then the tops are good enough. here is a link to some that are sold here in USA. Those prices are in LBs too^

cruze bars in Suspension & Steering | eBay
Thanks for the info! and I don't know about e-bay parts =/ in terms of quality

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
I would skip the upper strut bar. the way most are made they just attack to the top strut bolt so no good. you can pay a racing shot about the same to custom weld one to the top of the strut towers and run the aluminum bar. better results

·
Registered
574 Posts
I agree on some ebay crap but if you take time & look they sell exactly what I bought same brand. BNR that I bought them from was cheaper than ebay. The only thing BNR don't sell is the full undercarriage brace only the rear bottom. Like I stated if you don't mind losing ground clearance go for it & do you need all that bracing for a daily driver I don't think so. IMO

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Like I stated if you don't mind losing ground clearance go for it
Agreed-with the lower front you will lose ground clearance. Scraped it a few times on my ECO.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would skip the upper strut bar. the way most are made they just attack to the top strut bolt so no good. you can pay a racing shot about the same to custom weld one to the top of the strut towers and run the aluminum bar. better results
I agree on some ebay crap but if you take time & look they sell exactly what I bought same brand. BNR that I bought them from was cheaper than ebay. The only thing BNR don't sell is the full undercarriage brace only the rear bottom. Like I stated if you don't mind losing ground clearance go for it & do you need all that bracing for a daily driver I don't think so. IMO
I see yall's point, this is a daily driver, not a race car by any means lol, ok, so if all I care about is a smooth ride, better handling and steering, then which ones?

I know I keep asking the same questions lol but I really want a smooth ride and be able to attack some curves without hesitation. smooth ride with smooth handling and steering

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
If you do strut bar have one welded on, the rest bolt on will do very well. a stiffer chassis works better and rides over hard terrain better but you will feel it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anybody know the size of the bolt on the front towers? I think my socket set stops at 7/8" which I think is going to be too small.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Anybody know the size of the bolt on the front towers? I think my socket set stops at 7/8" which I think is going to be too small.
I took mine apart and I know it was a mm size, but I can't remember if it was 24 26 or 28 mm but it was some crazy big size like that. And I had the hardest time getting them tightened back down without holding that bolt in the middle, had to buy an entire pass thru socket set (just for the 1 size socket, nowhere around me sold it alone) and a set of star hex keys so I could hold the hex key in the stud and pull the opposite way of the socket wrench when tightening.......good luck lmao

·
Registered
130 Posts
I took mine apart and I know it was a mm size, but I can't remember if it was 24 26 or 28 mm but it was some crazy big size like that. And I had the hardest time getting them tightened back down without holding that bolt in the middle, had to buy an entire pass thru socket set (just for the 1 size socket, nowhere around me sold it alone) and a set of star hex keys so I could hold the hex key in the stud and pull the opposite way of the socket wrench when tightening.......good luck lmao
well that's a pain in the ass... is that what everyone has had to do? I think I found a 24mm on amazon for 10 bucks but it's not a pass through. Wondering if I can fit a star hex through it if it's not attached to the wrench. ugh. I'm embarrassed that I might need to ask the shop to install it for me next time I need an oil change... but it would honestly be more cost effective if I need to buy a whole **** set.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts