Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I couldn't keep my Cruze stock for more than a week... I replaced the stock air filter with a conical AEM Dryflow filter and removed the inlet snorkel ducting. It's still too quiet so I will be fabricating my own short ram intake when hptuners figures out why I cannot pull the stock tune file. I can barely hear the blow off with the radio off and windows up.

sound clip

https://youtu.be/bHlI1I4aR9s

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did this too but without replacing the stock filter, so it sounded way quieter than yours. If you end up making a custom SRI will you post how you did it? I'm not that good with making custom stuff.

·
Administrator
15,741 Posts
Just a heads up, any time you get more sound and better airflow out of a filter with the same or less filter media surface area, you consequently reduce filtration efficiency (the filter's ability to trap small particles). Just be aware of this drawback when switching filters. The OEM filter actually does an excellent job of trapping particles. The AEM filter...not so much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Take the lower box off and flip the upper lip. Use a zip tie to support the lid from moving around. The upper lid flipped is almost a perfect fit. Obviously, the air filter and such stays intact. This situation does not look pretty but the car freaking screams, and you can hear the blow off valve like crazy, with the manual trans!
Leave the rubber hose disconnect from the lower box.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take the lower box off and flip the upper lip. Use a zip tie to support the lid from moving around. The upper lid flipped is almost a perfect fit. Obviously, the air filter and such stays intact. This situation does not look pretty but the car freaking screams, and you can hear the blow off valve like crazy, with the manual trans!
Leave the rubber hose disconnect from the lower box.
Why flip it? Just for sound? I'm just going to make my own SRI and tune it when the issue with hptuners gets resolved.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just took the bottom off and left it right side up. For now this will do until I make my own intake with 3" OD aluminum tubing with a honeycomb airflow straightener.

·
10,713 Posts
If water is splashing up that high somehow, you're going through too deep of water. Lol
Not on gen 1. With way more shielding than you guys have the entire engine bay was salt tastic just from your own tire spray or tire spray of the car in front of you. I hope they got that right with you guys, supper annoying and anytime I got near a decent puddle it would get the low engine oil sensor wet and cause a day of nuisance alarms. Under body blasters in car wash, yeah lets get the cheaper package that doesn't have that and air dry.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not on gen 1. With way more shielding than you guys have the entire engine bay was salt tastic just from your own tire spray or tire spray of the car in front of you. I hope they got that right with you guys, supper annoying and anytime I got near a decent puddle it would get the low engine oil sensor wet and cause a day of nuisance alarms. Under body blasters in car wash, yeah lets get the cheaper package that doesn't have that and air dry.
On other forums, it shows the topic and category so readers know it's for the "gen 1 powertrain" or "gen 2 powertrain". So yeah I was being specific to the gen 2. Not your fault.

·
Registered
12 Posts
All,

I am in the process of manufacturing a short ram intake for the Gen 2 Cruze. I have made 2 prototypes (gave one to a friend) and have been testing them in the cold weather with great results thus far. Due to weather and pending contracts this product may not be available for sale until February. I will be posting a video and starting a thread soon. I am looking to sell these at $194.99 with free shipping to 48 US states. Hold your horses.

Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All,

I am in the process of manufacturing a short ram intake for the Gen 2 Cruze. I have made 2 prototypes (gave one to a friend) and have been testing them in the cold weather with great results thus far. Due to weather and pending contracts this product may not be available for sale until February. I will be posting a video and starting a thread soon. I am looking to sell these at $194.99 with free shipping to 48 US states. Hold your horses.

Thanks
Thanks for the offer but I'm a welder/fabricator so I'll be making my own. MAF flange, tubing, air filter, clamps, and honeycomb air straightener should cost under $100 for me. I'd like to powdercoat it when I'm finished.

do you have pics of the prototype and are you using an airflow straightener of any kind?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts