Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1.8 L header from ZZP Performance. I'm hesitant to install it now after reading some of the things that could happen to the engine after installation and someone said I could get pinned with a $25,000 fine if caught. Is this true?

If I were to install this header, I know I have to run a tune to have the check engine light go from On to Off. Is there anything else I need to do or be aware of? Thanks.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The 1.8 (and 1.4 for that matter) both actually have 2 converters. The downstream o2 is in between the the two converters and will give you a cel if you don't turn it off. There is always a chance for a fine when removing the front converter however with the cruze having 2 and still leaving one in place it's a substantial less chance. Worst case in the install that can happen is you break a stud in the head (which you can have drilled out) or the o2 is frozen and fights coming out (break it free before you remove the header trust me). Are you in an area that has emissions testing?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 1.8 (and 1.4 for that matter) both actually have 2 converters. The downstream o2 is in between the the two converters and will give you a cel if you don't turn it off. There is always a chance for a fine when removing the front converter however with the cruze having 2 and still leaving one in place it's a substantial less chance. Worst case in the install that can happen is you break a stud in the head (which you can have drilled out) or the o2 is frozen and fights coming out (break it free before you remove the header trust me). Are you in an area that has emissions testing?
Yeah. I think it's like every 2 years, cars have to get an emissions test. Should I not install the header? I'm really freaking out about this.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah. I think it's like every 2 years, cars have to get an emissions test. Should I not install the header? I'm really freaking out about this.
I see you live in Ohio. I don't know what the rules are there but if this is your daily driver and you are required to pass emissions every 2 years I wouldn't mess with it. It will not pass the visual inspection. In California they are impounding cars and crushing them if you are found to have altered the factory emissions systems.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see you live in Ohio. I don't know what the rules are there but if this is your daily driver and you are required to pass emissions every 2 years I wouldn't mess with it. It will not pass the visual inspection. In California they are impounding cars and crushing them if you are found to have altered the factory emissions systems.
Yea. I am just going to return the header. Thanks for your input.

·
Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,233 Posts
In California they are impounding cars and crushing them if you are found to have altered the factory emissions systems.
In California, I could understand using administrative procedures and regulations to force non-compliant cars into compliance, but impounding with intent to destroy the vehicle seems over the top to my way of thinking. In fact, downright Draconian.

As a metaphor I ask: Has the threat of capital punishment ever succeeded in ending homicides?

- -
Related:
Government Assholes Publicly Crushed This Mini For Violating Import Law
Feds still crushing imports over misguided "safety" concerns

Warning: Graphic Violence​

·
Registered
110 Posts
if you get the cel turned off it wont register on the emissions test and you will pass. and as far as the visual test goes, the front cat isnt easily seen by looking under the car anyway so as long as they see the second one you'd be fine. my trans am doesnt have any cats, and the cam thumps its way through the emissions garage and they just run a mirror under the car to say they did, no ones ever really "looked" to see if they were there. the people that work there arent out to get you, they just want a paycheck like everyone else, if the computer passes you, youll be fine. ive had my trans am that way since 06 and never once had an issue

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you get the cel turned off it wont register on the emissions test and you will pass. and as far as the visual test goes, the front cat isnt easily seen by looking under the car anyway so as long as they see the second one you'd be fine. my trans am doesnt have any cats, and the cam thumps its way through the emissions garage and they just run a mirror under the car to say they did, no ones ever really "looked" to see if they were there. the people that work there arent out to get you, they just want a paycheck like everyone else, if the computer passes you, youll be fine. ive had my trans am that way since 06 and never once had an issue
This might be a silly question but a tune would get rid of the CEL right?

·
Registered
110 Posts
yes, you can request that your tune disable the code that checks the O2 sensor. it tricks the car into thinking everything is operating correctly and wont throw a code. the rear O2 should be the one throwing the code, all that one does is make sure the cats are doing their job.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Does a mini-van t-boning your car with a different header installed have anything to do with getting t-boned?

Ha, don't ask me what t-boning is, picked this up watching a TV commercial.

Well that other guys insurance company responsible for your damage seems to think so, And hire crooked Harvard attorneys to attempt to prove in a court of law that have really learned how to lie and cheat. All in the name of saving that insurance company a couple of bucks in paying for that claim.

They also hire crooked automotive experts to claim this is the cause, ha, these guys I could shoot down, have a resume 30 pages long and could only comment they couldn't even hold a job for more than five minutes. And crooked doctors, only two in the state of Wisconsin, met one guy at a vets office, the kind of vet for you puppy, took a five second look at me and worth a 20 page report. But did manage to knock down my claim by some odd $15,000.00.

You don't know anything about this BS until you run into it.

·
Registered
990 Posts

First your not gonna get a fine.. 2.. If I remember right in your state when they do your state inspection they don't open the hood they only plug into the obd2 port to make sure your ready monitors are green.. So installing the header won't cause you not to pass. If people have passed smog with full intake and downpipe and tunes on the 1.4 you'll pass with just the header.

Reactions: brian v

·
Registered
990 Posts
where in California is this happening at? I've been busted more then once for driving one of my cars from the "track" was never impounded/crushed and that car has zero emissions stuff on it.. So I'm not sure where you got that from..

·
Registered
261 Posts
where in California is this happening at? I've been busted more then once for driving one of my cars from the "track" was never impounded/crushed and that car has zero emissions stuff on it.. So I'm not sure where you got that from..
Northern California, SF Bay area. I have a friend who had a 1978 280Z with a 280ZX turbo swap running Megasquirt...looked completely stock if you didn't know what you were looking at. He was pulled over for out accelerating other cars from a stop light (they called it exhibition of speed or something!) not even exceeding the speed limit which was 55. They insisted he open his hood for an inspection and he thought they wouldn't know what they were looking at, since it looks stock, so he did and they impounded it and destroyed it. Very sad as that car was probably worth 30 grand.

Street racers’ souped-up cars crushed - US news - Crime & courts | NBC News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwYr_r0RpgY

1 - 13 of 13 Posts