Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently bought a 2014 Chevy Cruze LS with 34k miles and found what I believe to be a remote start wired in underneath the dash and run out under the hood. I have attached pictures of the connections and was wondering if anyone could help in identifying whatever this is.

Here is the package wired under the dash.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Gas Electrical wiring Auto part Automotive fuel system

Here is where the wiring is fed out of the cab of the car into the engine bay.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

Here is the wiring spliced into ignition(?) wiring in the steering wheel housing.
Circuit component Electrician Finger Hardware programmer Thumb

Here is the wiring running alongside the main harness into the engine compartment.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Neck Gesture Automotive design Finger Eyelash

And finally, here is the wiring spliced into wires under the fuse block in the engine compartment.
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Computer hardware Audio equipment Cable

I have replaced a number of components and there does not appear to be anything mechanically wrong with the vehicle. However, I have 4 DTCs when running diagnostics (P1682, P2078, P0685, P0686) and the car will not try to start (diagnostics reveal that a security code is not accepted), nor will a jumpstart work. I think that this aftermarket thing is rerouting the typical wiring from under the engine fuse block into a component that I have no control over, which is not allowing the car to start.

So basically, what I am wondering is whether the aftermarket module wired underneath the dash be responsible for the non-start condition and/or the error codes? Also, I had to have new keys made for this vehicle and have no additional fobs or remote for whatever this aftermarket module is, so would it be possible to find a remote or fob or app or something to keep this component in my car, or should removal be the top priority? Finally, would removal or successful communication with this aftermarket component likely alleviate my DTCs and let my car start?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
It could be.

The aftermarket kit will mimic a real key. So it sits between the BCM and ignition.

It shouldn’t go to the engine bay at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be.

The aftermarket kit will mimic a real key. So it sits between the BCM and ignition.

It shouldn’t go to the engine bay at all.
Hmmm, that's weird. I've seen some kits that can act as a security feature too, that won't operate without a separate fob or service subscription. Didn't know if it might be something like that.

Especially since I think the wire in the engine compartment that has been rerouted may be directly involved with the starter.

I couldn't find any more information than that though.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Hmmm, that's weird. I've seen some kits that can act as a security feature too, that won't operate without a separate fob or service subscription. Didn't know if it might be something like that.

Especially since I think the wire in the engine compartment that has been rerouted may be directly involved with the starter.

I couldn't find any more information than that though.
Running the starter motor won’t do anything. This isn’t the 1980s.

Some security things disable the starter but it’s pointless and just a needless risk of electrical fires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The device was successfully removed and the car started right up, alleviating all DTCs in the process! All that remains is soldering and heat-shrinking the wires before the salvage inspection! Thanks for all the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts