Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn’t sure by now, but today I tested and prove it! My air blower doesn’t work properly when I switch to take air from inside (recirculation). First time I thought I was too late when I switched and the outside bad smell already went inside. Second time I washed my car and I change the air knob to “recirculation” just before going inside to the car wash and the smell from chemicals got into the car in a minute. Today I played with the air system again and this is what I observed: I put the fan at maximum speed (4) and I tried to switch from outside to inside air combining with all other settings (up, down, +/- AC, etc). The air flow/sound did not change at all. On my other cars if I switch the air knob from “outside air” to “recirculation” I can definitely hear the sound of the air that’s taking now from the inside to the car. I went today to the car wash and again I felt the chemicals smell inside to the car. Weird, after playing another 30 min with the settings (engine idling) I could smell also something like coolant. It could be from AC. I’m curious if you guys can hear the difference when you adjust the air system to take the air from inside or outside. The sound it should be noticeable. Am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I wash my car a LOT and so I have encountered the same problem. Before the car wash I hit Recirculate, I enter the wash and I get the same heavy odor of the chemicals just the same as if I didn't hit Recirculate. I'm not sure if it's broken or just not functioning but it was odd.

I do not smell coolant however...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wash my car a LOT and so I have encountered the same problem. Before the car wash I hit Recirculate, I enter the wash and I get the same heavy odor of the chemicals just the same as if I didn't hit Recirculate. I'm not sure if it's broken or just not functioning but it was odd.

I do not smell coolant however...
So I’m not alone! What about the sound of the blowing air when you switch?

·
Registered
693 Posts
anybody check their owners manuals yet . if memory serves me their are a few situations where it wont let you use the recirulate option ive noticed it other gm cars too.
I did check the owner manual. I don’t have the Automatic Climate Control System and however it says just:
(Recirculation, If Equipped):
Press to turn on the recirculation.
An indicator light comes on. Air is
recirculated inside the vehicle.
It helps to quickly cool the air inside
the vehicle or prevent outside air
and odors from entering.”

Exactly what the “normal” system suppose to do, but mine doesn’t….. yet....

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
In my cobalt in order to use recirculate it has to be blowing out of the top part of the dash, NOT defrosting the windows or towards the feet or anything else. If you try pressing the button any other time it just lights up for a second and blinks a few times then turns off. So I would suggest trying it with your fans blowing the air from the top part only

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am sure it is working. But if you wish to be sure, just hit recirc and watch your windows fog up!
I'll try your advice! When I activate it, I get the confirmation on the main screen, the button light stay on and I can hear the sound that supposes to come from the flap engaging. But… nothing else changes! The air flow in the cabin remains the same no matter what options I choose. Of course for the same fan speed.
I know what Eightbelow saying, I had some “behavior” on one of the rental cars I used last year, it’s not the issue here. :(

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today finally I got time to visit the dealer. They checked the car and I was right, the recirculation function “works” just on the screen! Nothing is changing when I activate the button, regardless of other possible combinations. The problem is the actuator and the dealer ordered it. I have to wait a few days for it. I was surprised when instead of courtesy ride they gave me a 2011 Malibu to drive it. I like it but I wouldn’t change my Cruze!:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yep, you can definately hear the difference when its on the re-circulating air. When I smoke in the cruze I make sure the outside air is coming in with the window down so the smell doesnt linger. After the smell has circulated out and I close the window you can hear it getting quieter.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...the climate control display should change from:

RECIRCULATE -- a car-shaped image with a horizontal U-shaped arrow inside it.

...to:

OUTSIDE AIR -- a Z-shaped arrow coming from outside into the car-shape image.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...the climate control display should change from:

RECIRCULATE -- a car-shaped image with a horizontal U-shaped arrow inside it.

...to:

OUTSIDE AIR -- a Z-shaped arrow coming from outside into the car-shape image.
:) The dispaly works well. But just the display..... :)
Next week they'll call me when the new actuator arrives.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
+1 on "embedded" dash work = pain in the whazzoo!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Update:
Friday morning I left my car to the dealer, they got the new part. But….. they had issues replacing it. They cut a hose and they had to order too. So they called me late Friday and asked me if I need the car over the weekend or I can keep the one that they gave it to me temporary. I understood it was a hard work to put everything back and open again Monday so I accepted to keep the “rental” over the weekend. I got a NEW Cruze LT, with just 5 miles on it! Mine is manual so I was pleased to test the automatic transmission over the weekend. I drove it 550 miles and I’m happy I chose mine with MT. Average on highway around 35MPG, driving at 70-71MI. I’m getting 43-44 with my MT. In the city you can improve the gas millage in semi-automatic (manual J ) mode. Overall, a pleasant cruise with the Cruze!
I’ll see tomorrow what’s happening with my car.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The end....
Today I got my Cruze back. They replaced the air inlet door actuator and the housing. Another hose too. It looks like the actuator’s doors didn’t switch fully. Overall it wasn’t bad at all. I had a new LT for 3 days so I could feel the differences between MT and auto on 1.4 engine.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
The end....
Today I got my Cruze back. They replaced the air inlet door actuator and the housing. Another hose too. It looks like the actuator’s doors didn’t switch fully. Overall it wasn’t bad at all. I had a new LT for 3 days so I could feel the differences between MT and auto on 1.4 engine.
...and what was your diagnosis of the difference(s)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Newbee here... just joined after suspicions that the 'air recirculation' button didn't work. I called GM and they say with the basic a/c and pressing the recircuilation button, if it lights up, it's recirculation air. Our new 2012 Cruze ECO leaks in outside air and is really evident driving thru central California near alongside the Cows! Unlike our other 3 cars that range from 20yrs to 8yrs old, the odor fills the car while the Recirculate button is on or off <when it's off, it really stinks out the car>. Looks like I need to go to the dealer and get if fixed. I also notice little difference in the sound of air when switching between recirculate and outside air. Glad I joined this forum !!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts