Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Air Conditioner not working. Common issue?

59K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  newsguy99 
#1 ·
So my wife's 2012 Cruze has just over 71,000km on it now, so well over the bumper to bumper warranty of 60k, and now the AC stopped working. Mind you she hasn't had too use it since last October when she was still under 60,000km, so something broke during the winter months.

Is the AC breaking on these car's a common issue? Were kind of pissed that we had to spend an extra $3000 just to have a Cruze with AC only to have it fail 3 summers later. And has anyone had any luck getting the dealership or GM themselves to help with the repair? Cause it kinda sucks that it broke during the winter months somehow and now when we need the darn thing its not working.

#2 ·
A common issue with the non-ECO A/C systems is rock damage. The 2011s and early 2012s don't have a $15 (US) rock shield in front of the A/C condenser coils, so they get punctured.

#9 ·
A common issue with the non-ECO A/C systems is rock damage.
Part of the reason I bought the RS package was the much smaller lower grill openings. Standard cruze I could fit my hand all the way to the radiator, RS package only my pinky finger can fit through the grill opening.

Sure the ECO with grill shutters will protect when the shutters are closed, but when open it can get damaged just as easily as most cruze models. I suspect when the AC is on the grill shutters are open all the time(similar to how the electric fan runs).

#7 ·
It also shouldn't be 3000 to fix it. I had my compressor leaking and I had a extended warranty and only paid 100 bucks other wise it would have been 700. I would just fill it up and see if it starts working, if it does I would just do that and not spend the extra money. If its the condenser still shouldn't be that much.

#18 ·
All cars can have this problem its not a design error on the cruze. Yes the plastic screen can help which I added on my 2011 but do a google search and you will see all makes and models have this. You best bet to stop this is to not follow closely behind trucks and stay away from people who like to drive on the edges of the road where a lot rocks get thrown up from.

I know people say they don't follow close but if you aren't 1 car length per 10 miles per hour you are to close.

#19 ·
Is the AC breaking on these car's a common issue?
What does the outside air temperature say? On the US model, it's part of the radio display. If that's showing freezing weather (like -40), the A/C won't turn on. There's been a few cases of that reported. The sensor is in the left fog light cover. The connector may have gotten unplugged. (And when you fix it, it won't work right away. The car seems to have to think about it. It will suddenly start working hours later.)

Reactions: obermd
#20 ·
Its kind of a easy fix. Just goto your local hardware store, buy some window screen, and small size zip ties. Cut screen to the size of the opening of the grille.
Feed screen down in front of radiator, attach it to the top mount support using the zip ties. Attach the bottom to something under the car as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.