Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We owned a 2012 Cruze 'eco' and traded it in for a 2014 'eco'. GM is now telling us that it is OK that the A/C compressor is ON 24/7 while the heater setting is on 'floor' and the A/C button is OFF. This never happened to any car I've known and this did not happen in our 2012 eco model.

TLDR: When I want heat, the A/C compressor runs continuously.

I need help convincing GM that I do not want the A/C compressor ON while I'm driving in the winter.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Is there an on off button that you can push to disengage the ac compressor on the 2014 ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, like the defrost mode, A/C button is OFF and the A/C compressor is running continuously. GM says this is what is suppose to happen, A/C compressor is running while the 'floor' setting is pushed and the A/C button is OFF. This I have never seen in any car ever built (manual A/C operation).

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Is there an on off button that you can push to disengage the ac compressor on the 2014 ?
Do you have an off button Brian? How was the vacation? To the O/P isn't that how it is designed. Like a reverse heat pump?
[h=3]Reversible heat pumps[edit][/h]Reversible heat pumps work in either thermal direction to provide heating or cooling to the internal space. They employ a reversing valve to reverse the flow of refrigerant from the compressor through the condenser and evaporation coils.

• In heating mode, the outdoor coil is an evaporator, while the indoor is a condenser. The refrigerant flowing from the evaporator (outdoor coil) carries the thermal energy from outside air (or soil) indoors, after the fluid's temperature has been augmented by compressing it. The indoor coil then transfers thermal energy (including energy from the compression) to the indoor air, which is then moved around the inside of the building by an air handler. Alternatively, thermal energy is transferred to water, which is then used to heat the building via radiators or underfloor heating. The heated water may also be used for domestic hot water consumption. The refrigerant is then allowed to expand, cool, and absorb heat to reheat to the outdoor temperature in the outside evaporator, and the cycle repeats. This is a standard refrigeration cycle, save that the "cold" side of the refrigerator (the evaporator coil) is positioned so it is outdoors where the environment is colder.

• In cooling mode the cycle is similar, but the outdoor coil is now the condenser and the indoor coil (which reaches a lower temperature) is the evaporator. This is the familiar mode in which air conditioners operate

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Sup Eddy , I did'nt know you cared . NO and I am still Vacationing ..

So the compressor is functioning as designed .

·
10,713 Posts
I thought the coolant and heater core was there for the heating in automotive world. In and out coils is usually what you find in the motel type setting where you see it sitting on the exterior wall. A/C will be on for defrost mode because it's using the refrigerant to chemically remove the humidity that you are breathing all over windows up untill its disabled about 40*F outside. When it's 40*F outside, it just uses outside air to accomplish the same. Bi level defrost I heard of it being on but not aware to the floor only selection. Are you in the blue areas of the temp knob by your right knee?

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Hey Merc, not that the Buttons do any good for me (Never have worked) but why does the "Quick Navigation" say "CANADA"?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes max cool, but this is irrelevant. You select any temperature setting and the A/C compressor is running while 'the big button on the middle' is pushed. This did not happen t our 2012 Cruze eco. This one a 2014 eco.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,353 Posts
Cars don't have heat pumps......

No, it's not supposed to do that unless the floor/defrost mode is activated.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
To continue and clear up some misunderstandings , according to my owners manual !

( air conditioning ) press to turn on the automatic air conditioning on or off . If the fan is turned off or the outside temperature falls below freezing , the air conditioning compressor will not run.

Press AUTO to return and the air conditioner runs as needed . When the indicator light is on , the air conditioner runs automatically to cool the air inside the vehichle or to dry the air needed to defog the windshield faster .

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hhmm While I know the A/C compressor would be on for vehicles with auto climate control, I don't see the option available for ECO versions here in the states .

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,353 Posts
Hhmm While I know the A/C compressor would be on for vehicles with auto climate control, I don't see the option available for ECO versions here in the states .
Yeah, standard temp dial and a fan speed knob on US models at least. No auto climate control that should be engaging the compressor if not in defrost mode.

OP, just curious - how are you sure the compressor is running? There were some problems early on in the 11-12 model years where the compressors would actually stay engaged.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
finally! You've got it oilburner. The ac compressor is ON and it should not be ON when the 'floor' is selected and the ac button is NOT pressed, BUT GM dealer here says the 2014 Cruze has the ac ON during 'floor only' mode. That means my ac will be on all winter (irrespective of the heat/cool dial) unless I use 'vent' OR 'vent/floor'.

I can't believe how difficult it is to get this point out to the world.

My last point is that this is only happening on our 2014 model and did not happen on the traded in 2012 model or any other car in North America.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Well it is a few more months until the outside temps reach freezing and I am sure I can wait until you determine that this whole topic is a Feaux paux !

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
GM dealer here says the 2014 Cruze has the ac ON during 'floor only' mode. That means my ac will be on all winter (irrespective of the heat/cool dial) unless I use 'vent' OR 'vent/floor'.

I know on my Hyundai in the Auto A/C position, (a feature many of us don't have) the A/C button did not light up as the compressor only was used when needed. Your manual should document how your particular system works, especially for Cars sent to Canada. GM makes many different versions of the CRUZE. These compressors don't come on in freezing temps so it can't come on in Winter and you would get your heat!

The main reason I hardly used my Auto Climate control is because you could never tell when the compressor was engaged or not. Although the Hyundai A/C hardly showed any mileage difference with the 3.3 V6, I have noticed the CRUZE doesn't fair as well with the A/C on, but it was 115 today, and that is with an F!

·
10,713 Posts
A/C buttons don't light up anymore for defrost, it just come on and off when the system feels it's needed. Reason you shouldn't be running defrost in the summer thinking you "hacked" the system. YMMV

You still can get cold air at 40*F and below, its just using outside air(free a/c) to accomplish the same de humidification process.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts