Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

We have an Australian Holden Cruze.

Over the last 6 months the air conditioning hasn't been cooling like it should and after driving for a couple hours the windscreen will fog up.

Also the display on the dash & stereo will intermittently dim instantly and later come back. Turning the AC fan off makes the dash display light back up.

Also the problems seem to only occur after driving over an hour.

Can anybody help me isolate the cause of the problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:
The dash dimming is a thing of the past. It quite simply hasn’t happened since my post.

The AC still plays up though. Took a 3 hour drive yesterday. After about 40 minutes it was getting warmer inside the car. I checked the airflow from the vent & it wasn’t cool & may have been slower. I increased the fan speed from 1 to 2 which made it comfortable again.

About 5-10 minutes later it got warmer again. The airflow may have been restricted. I increased the fan speed to 3 which made it comfortable again.

Another 5-10 minutes later it got warmer again so I put the fan to 4. I held my hand over the vent and the airflow was far less than it should be. Also when the fan is on 4 (full) it should be very noisy but wasn’t. However slowly the airflow returned and so did the cool air.

This would now be way too cold & I’d return the fan back to 1.

About 20 minutes later this routine would repeat itself again & again. However after 4 or 5 cycles the cool air wouldn’t return when the fan was on full.

So now I turned off the AC for 5 minutes then turned it back on to 1 and it was working again.

Any ideas?

Thanks again

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,353 Posts
Update:
The dash dimming is a thing of the past. It quite simply hasn’t happened since my post.

The AC still plays up though. Took a 3 hour drive yesterday. After about 40 minutes it was getting warmer inside the car. I checked the airflow from the vent & it wasn’t cool & may have been slower. I increased the fan speed from 1 to 2 which made it comfortable again.

About 5-10 minutes later it got warmer again. The airflow may have been restricted. I increased the fan speed to 3 which made it comfortable again.

Another 5-10 minutes later it got warmer again so I put the fan to 4. I held my hand over the vent and the airflow was far less than it should be. Also when the fan is on 4 (full) it should be very noisy but wasn’t. However slowly the airflow returned and so did the cool air.

This would now be way too cold & I’d return the fan back to 1.

About 20 minutes later this routine would repeat itself again & again. However after 4 or 5 cycles the cool air wouldn’t return when the fan was on full.

So now I turned off the AC for 5 minutes then turned it back on to 1 and it was working again.

Any ideas?

Thanks again
See if anything is stuck in between cabin filter & the fan.

Maybe the blower motor's going bad, but I can't think of any reason why it would slow down/speed up at will if that was the case.

Just to rule it out as a possibility, and since it is such a common issue here, go ahead and order the new negative cable & replace it. It's priced at at like $15 here.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,667 Posts
This might not have anything to do with this, but just in case... on US Cruzes the fan speed is slowed down when you answer a phone call via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I worked on 2 cars last year with the same problem. They never changed their cabin filters. May or may not be your problem but it fixed theirs. Along with an ounce of freon.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Sure sounds like the core icing up to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts