Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sharing my story...

I bought an LTZ at the end of January, had no issues and love the car.

Had it to about 5000 miles by mid-march, I get into the car in a parking lot and have the engine idling for about two minutes while I send an email on my phone, all of a sudden I look up and the car is filling with vapor (looks like actual smoke) coming out of all the air conditioning vents. By the time I realized it was actually happening, it was literally getting difficult to see inside the car. I kill the engine and jumped out, saw it was also coming out of the top of the hood. Random people walking by asking me if my car's on fire. It was a fun experience. Drove it home that night fine with the AC system off after the "smoke cleared" so to speak.

Brought it to dealer the next morning, service advisor attempted to recreate and crank the AC at idle for about two mins. We start seeing the same vapor raising off the front part of the hood. They pull it into the bay, leave it idling with AC cranked and the hood up while waiting for an actual tech to show up. After about five mins, we hear what sounds like an air-bag deployment (AC compressor blowing out)

Flash forward to today, the car has been in and out of the dealer no less than six different times while they attempt to fix this. They initially ordered and installed a new compressor, which didn't work. So thinking the problem had to do with the lines, they tried to get support from Chevy engineering. They basically told the dealer to take the entire system apart, but wait until you hear from the Cruze AC engineers. Cruze AC engineers finally call dealer techs, have them take apart the whole system and send them a bunch of new parts which may or may not correct whatever the issue is.

Funny thing is the way the service advisor is describing this dialog they're having with chevy... "Well, we haven't been getting a lot of support from them on this very quickly" "Why is that?" "Well, at first we were waiting on their call back forever, finally the engineers called, now the AC engineers are extremely interested in it and it's a big deal, etc etc"

So that's the story so far...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lemon law..... six times and they haven't got it right in California your golden. Mention that and they will probably get serious.....

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
Lemon law..... six times and they haven't got it right in California your golden. Mention that and they will probably get serious.....

My thoughts as well....in North Carolina, last I checked, the third trip to the dealership for the same problem, would have gotten the car replaced under the "Lemon Law".:)

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Lemons...

In Ohio, its four strikes and you're out. I think a walk over to the sales office and a chat with the sales manager would be appropriate.

·
Registered
277 Posts
In fact, do they still provide a separate lemon law booklet with your car? I think the last couple of my cars came with that. Might just be a MD/VA thing. Definitely read up on the process and take appropriate action.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Just sharing my story...

I bought an LTZ at the end of January, had no issues and love the car.

Had it to about 5000 miles by mid-march, I get into the car in a parking lot and have the engine idling for about two minutes while I send an email on my phone, all of a sudden I look up and the car is filling with vapor (looks like actual smoke) coming out of all the air conditioning vents. By the time I realized it was actually happening, it was literally getting difficult to see inside the car. I kill the engine and jumped out, saw it was also coming out of the top of the hood. Random people walking by asking me if my car's on fire. It was a fun experience. Drove it home that night fine with the AC system off after the "smoke cleared" so to speak.

Brought it to dealer the next morning, service advisor attempted to recreate and crank the AC at idle for about two mins. We start seeing the same vapor raising off the front part of the hood. They pull it into the bay, leave it idling with AC cranked and the hood up while waiting for an actual tech to show up. After about five mins, we hear what sounds like an air-bag deployment (AC compressor blowing out)

Flash forward to today, the car has been in and out of the dealer no less than six different times while they attempt to fix this. They initially ordered and installed a new compressor, which didn't work. So thinking the problem had to do with the lines, they tried to get support from Chevy engineering. They basically told the dealer to take the entire system apart, but wait until you hear from the Cruze AC engineers. Cruze AC engineers finally call dealer techs, have them take apart the whole system and send them a bunch of new parts which may or may not correct whatever the issue is.

Funny thing is the way the service advisor is describing this dialog they're having with chevy... "Well, we haven't been getting a lot of support from them on this very quickly" "Why is that?" "Well, at first we were waiting on their call back forever, finally the engineers called, now the AC engineers are extremely interested in it and it's a big deal, etc etc"

So that's the story so far...
YEP! Tested 4 MILLION miles and never ran across this problem either. One more fluke. Stuff happens!:mad:

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
YEP! Tested 4 MILLION miles and never ran across this problem either. One more fluke. Stuff happens!:mad:
I'm betting it is an assembly issue. More learning curve at Lordstown.

Jim

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
I'm betting it is an assembly issue. More learning curve at Lordstown.

Jim
Yep, that must be it- "learning curve". Do they have to "learn" on our dime? Couldn't they have gone to other countries to see how they build them and learn there?:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Compressor blew up huh? Does the cruze come with one of the new constantly running A/C compressors? Most just cycle the clutch but the new ones are suppose to to be variable to almost 0 so it acts like a Pully when not in use. Vapor isn't normal coming out of the A/C system. Usually the refrigerant boils off well before you could ever see a "cloud" of it. Sounds like the A/C oil (or what little there was) got burnt up in the compressor and it an hero'd.

edit: I'm guessing dessicant bag let go?

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...Q: which is worse, the person crying "bad wolf," or the "bad wolf" itself?

...see any irony in this statement?

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
You know fastdriver, you CAN go trade your Cruze in for a nice, reliable Toyota whenever you want. :rolleyes:
Now why would I do that? So far, I'm not having any problems with my Cruze. If I do, I'll make sure you're the first to know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same thing happened. I took it to the dealer (Rockenbach Chevrolet in Grayslake IL) - they replaced the pressure relief valve and it fixed it.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
You know fastdriver, you CAN go trade your Cruze in for a nice, reliable Toyota whenever you want. :rolleyes:

Hey scaredpoet-

Just came across this old topic where I posted when my Cruze was only TWO MONTHS old with no problems! LOL...that didn't last too long. Anyway, I forgot that I said you would be the first one I would tell when I had a problem. I forgot, so you're probably the LAST person to know. Almost 2 years to the day, with 13,300 miles, I dumped the Cruze because of the crappy shifting transmission and lack of acceleration at times after 6+ months dealing with GM "customer service" and an engineer who labeled my transmission as "operating as designed"! Three days later I dumped the car and got a 2013 Buick Verano Turbo. Now, some other poor sucker is driving the Cruze!

How's yours running?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts