Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am putting together a list of things I'd like to do to my car in the spring/summer. One of the things I'd like to do is an air intake. I'm not too savvy with this sort of thing and don't know all the technical terms of everything, so bare with me. I don't just want to replace the filter, I'd like to get rid of that large box that contains the stock filter and the other thing (the resonator I think it's called?) that's also in the air intake piping. I want to take all that out to open it up a bit more and get a bit more of the turbo whine sound out of my good ol' diesel. I took a section of the tubing off already down by the wheel-well to open it up a bit more and I notice a slight difference but would like to know if replacing the entire system with something more open would give me an even better result. I'm not looking for any sort of performance gain from this, but of course if it comes with one (even a small amount), that would be nice. I've read around and it looks like most people want to stay away from the K&N due to the fact they're oil-based filters. From what I gather, AEM intakes have paper filters? Would this be the best way to go? I want to have proper filtration so as little dust/debris gets in as possible.

I noticed the intake/filters sit inside the engine compartment with a sort of barrier around it rather than the stock one taking in air from outside. Does taking in warmer air from the engine compartment have any different effect than the cooler outside air? I also have the Trifecta tune. Would this be the sort of modification that would require a slight re-work of the tune to match the new upgrade?

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eh the video almost give it too much credit. I'll just try to explain it....

So you have the turbo WHOOOOOSHOE
and you have the turbo WHEEEEEEEEEew (whine)

Imagine just having it go whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo until you let off the accelerator and then you get the shoe.
Now if you go WOT and hold 20 to 23 PSI that'll go away and THEN you can hear the whine. But its not much.

Drive to the States and see for yourself ;)
If you're going to the Lordstown meet I'll see then ;D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts