Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
10,712 Posts
Yes, codes would set if disable or removed. There was a thread on how to swap out a relay or someting in the trunk to prevent codes. usualy people remove them for a ZZP front mount where the shutters can't exist anymore.

Its temp/speed dependant. No one really has an exact answer what "freeway speeds" are but mine close and stay closed at about 40*F. I can go all winter and a small part of spring where they will be closed when I get out the car. Doesn help if the front is sealed off with snow anyways.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
The shutters close somewhere around 45 MPH and will then remain closed until the car needs additional cooling. Like Merc, my shutters stay closed for long periods in the winter.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I am monitoring radiator return water temperature, and nearly all of my front grill is blocked except for the little band at the top of the lower shuttered louvers.

Peak temperature returning to the engine has been only 42 deg C, at 60MPH with 106 measured at ECT, outdoor air temp was low teens.

the image is not pretty, still at the experimental stage.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Wow! That's a lot of snow ... On the bright side, now you have an idea of whether or not you'd like your Cruze in white :grin:

Reactions: Merc6 and obermd

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
The shutters close somewhere around 45 MPH and will then remain closed until the car needs additional cooling. Like Merc, my shutters stay closed for long periods in the winter.
I never got the specifics from you 3 years ago when I asked the same question: How do you know exactly when the grille shutters open & close?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I am confident that it is not a factor of speed alone, based on my observations the ECU uses the shutter, electronic thermostat, fan control to manipulate Intake Air temperature, coolant radiator return temperature, and engine coolant temperature, to form a hysteresis type of temperature control to keep it within a very narrow range at a much wider load range than typical design.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I know that my daughter's 12 Eco set a code when I've run with the shutter unplugged. My daughter's car has the shutters removed. I replaced the fuel pump driver module in the trunk with driver module 20867260 purchased new on eBay for $50. It was plug and play with no programing needed. My son has the same car with the shutters installed. There is little to no change in fuel mileage with the shutter removed.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I never got the specifics from you 3 years ago when I asked the same question: How do you know exactly when the grille shutters open & close?
I ran across the speed for shutter closure back in 2011 when the Cruze ECO was the rage in the automotive media. It actually makes sense as this is about the time most ECO drivers shift to 6th gear if they're driving for efficiency. As for the reopen, I know for a fact that the shutters in my ECO MT don't open during serious cold snaps in the winter. Once closed they appear to stay closed until the cooling is needed.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I am monitoring radiator return water temperature, and nearly all of my front grill is blocked except for the little band at the top of the lower shuttered louvers.

Peak temperature returning to the engine has been only 42 deg C, at 60MPH with 106 measured at ECT, outdoor air temp was low teens.

the image is not pretty, still at the experimental stage.
I like what you have done! I have added a grill block to mine as well Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Bumper

My next plan is to add a second set of automatic shutters(modified of course) to the upper grill area. I want to be able to control both sets of shutters manually and individually. Thinking about adding a third actuator to the factory wiring to eliminate the check engine light( it will probably just lay behind the grill and not move anything)

The hard part is going to be monitoring underhood temperatures. I am looking at adding a few thermocouples to a couple different areas to be able to keep an eye on things I can't find any temp probes that I like so far.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts