Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all. This is my first post here and I hope you can help me.

I am owner of chevy cruze ls, 1.6, 113hp, 90 000 km.

Recently I have replaced main clutch cylinder. Brakes worked ok. No sound from brake pedal. Afterwards I had to replace rear brake pads. After all these fixes when I push brake pedal I can hear air coming out of break pedal.

My mechanic bleeded air from brakes several times. But I still can hear air coming out when I press the pedal.

When I start the engine and push pedal several times everything is fine and my brakes work ok.

Can someone explain why do I hear air coming out of pedal every time before I start my car.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Hi to all. This is my first post here and I hope you can help me.

I am owner of chevy cruze ls, 1.6, 113hp, 90 000 km.

Recently I have replaced main clutch cylinder. Brakes worked ok. No sound from brake pedal. Afterwards I had to replace rear brake pads. After all these fixes when I push brake pedal I can hear air coming out of break pedal.

My mechanic bleeded air from brakes several times. But I still can hear air coming out when I press the pedal.

When I start the engine and push pedal several times everything is fine and my brakes work ok.

Can someone explain why do I hear air coming out of pedal every time before I start my car.
You only hear it BEFORE you start the car? That's a normal sound (at least in my experience) when a brake pedal is pressed when the car is not running. I don't think it's air, but rather the hydraulic fluid building up pressure. I've noticed it in every car I've owned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once I start the car I do not hear air in pedal and brakes work fine. I just push brake pedal few times and everything is fine

But, before pads replacement I did not hear air in pedal. Because of that I am worried.

My friend told me that maybe brake pads are no good, meaning not original spare parts. My retailer sent me brake pads for Opel Astra.

I am situated in Europe, by the way.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I can't speak to the European version of the Cruze, but for the US, the brakes are power-assist via a vacuum. So I don't think a soft air noise is unusual. However, if it's become louder, it may indicate that the brake booster has a hole in it and is starting to fail. With the car off, how many times can you press the brake before the pedal gets hard? It should be 2-3 times. If less than that, you probably have a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, car was imported from Canada. I found out using VIN number.

I press brake pedal at least 3 times and afterwards brake is hard and fine.

Before pad replacement brake pedal was always solid and hard and there was no air leaking from pedal.

During brake pad replacement brake system was not touched but since I heard air coming out my mechanic bleeded fluid from brake system several times. Clutch and brakes use same fluid container.

As I said, prior to brake pad replacement I have change main clutch cylinder and brake pedal worked fine afterwards.

Is it possible that I need to bleed fluid from this system too (Clutch is working fine)

One notice: I do not know if my mechanic used original spare part. Retailer sent him brake pads for Opel Astra.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I press brake pedal at least 3 times and afterwards brake is hard and fine.

Before pad replacement brake pedal was always solid and hard and there was no air leaking from pedal.
I'm staring to wonder if you've been driving without power assist and the mechanic noticed it was broken and fixed it without telling you.

How is the stopping power? If it greatly increased, then I think my theory is correct.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My mechanic did not mentioned this. As far as I know he only replaced pads.

Stopping power is same as before. I had to change pads because I heard a squeak noise in rear brakes. Old pads were not changed since car was bought.

Past few days I read that this issue sometimes is caused because new pads need time to fit rotors.

Also maybe I should drain all fluid from brakes system and fill new one just to be sure there is no air. But I have bleed system several times.

Also people said perhapse new pads are not good quality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts