Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Initially, I believe only the LT and Premier models were to have a auto stop disable switch. However the L and LS also has it. A great decision by Chevy. The auto stop is hated by most car owners.

DSC00765.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I had BNR delete it with my tune. It’s not selectable, but I don’t care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I too do not care for the operation of the AS/S "feature" on my Cruze.

I am still waiting for options to become available for the diesel.

I wonder if it is possible to install this 2019 button and get the BCM reprogrammed to shut off the AS/S on earlier Gen 2 Cruze's?

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,681 Posts
The auto stop is hated by most car owners.
It's not, but okay.

I couldn't wait for auto stop to activate on the '19 Malibu loaner I had a couple weeks back, because I am not scared of progress.

Reactions: pontiacgt

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For two months before I bought my Cruze, I watched probably a hundred videos on YouTube, and read hundreds of comments. Most were negative about the auto stop. So that's the basis of my claim about the auto stop. If you like it, that's good.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
So hundreds of comments...versus hundreds of thousands, actually, millions, at this point...that's a very low percentage.

Some people hate it, sure, but to say "most" is beyond an overreach based on the data provided.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I don't think it has much to do with fuel savings as it is to cleaner air. With just about every state having some sort of no idle policy.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
It takes a richer mixture to start the engine
Fuel savings is barely non existent

I didn't notice any improvement.
It doesn't richen the mixture to restart on auto-stop, doesn't need to - not on an engine already up to temp. The BSG just spins it back up and it resumes running.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I'd be happy if they could just put a 3 second delay in the triggering of it.
Then it wouldn't shut down when I stop for a stop sign with no traffic present, and I could stop and put the transmission in park without having the engine stop and then restart as I'm shutting it off.
I work around both of those, but having to stop/creep at stop signs to keep the engine running leaves me paying attention to the car when I should be paying attention to traffic. And shutting the engine off before putting the transmission in park leaves a possibility that some day when I'm tired I might shut it off and get out without putting it in park.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
It takes a richer mixture to start the engine
Fuel savings is barely non existent

I didn't notice any improvement.
It doesn't richen the mixture to restart on auto-stop, doesn't need to - not on an engine already up to temp. The BSG just spins it back up and it resumes running.
You sure about that?
It take about 300mS for the engine to start. Even if it used 3 times more fuel during cranking(which it obviously doesn't)it would still save fuel, even during a 1 second engine off event.

I dislike the system, and disable it as often as I can, but debating whether or not an engine that isn't running saves fuel is silly.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
It take about 300mS for the engine to start. Even if it used 3 times more fuel during cranking(which it obviously doesn't)it would still save fuel, even during a 1 second engine off event.

I dislike the system, and disable it as often as I can, but debating whether or not an engine that isn't running saves fuel is silly.
It's been a debate long before you joined the forum. :)

I've only seen one car that could start up really quickly. And even that took longer then 300 mS.
It was a chrysler 440 4bbl carb. Only thing electronic on the engine was the HEI system. That thing was so perfectly built and tuned. You only had to tap the key to start up.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts

It's been a debate long before you joined the forum. ?

I've only seen one car that could start up really quickly. And even that took longer then 300 mS.
It was a chrysler 440 4bbl carb. Only thing electronic on the engine was the HEI system. That thing was so perfectly built and tuned. You only had to tap the key to start up.
The target start time is 300mS. A direct injected engine can start more quickly than a port injected one because it doesn't rely on vacuum to get fuel into the cylinder. It can start faster because the ECM can keep the starter pinion engaged with flywheel before a start request is made, reducing starting time. The starter has a pinion that is roughly 2 times the size of a non autostop engine, meaning engine spins twice as fast, further reducing starting time.

I'm aware there are debates, they just make no sense, and many of them are debates by Luddites who rely on purely anecdotal statements, urban legends and myths, or just don't even have a rudimentary understanding of the internal combustion engine in general and the system used here in particular.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don’t dispute that the AS/S System will save on gas over time but how much is really debatable along with just how much pollution it saves? I’m on your side “Ma v e n” and truly dislike that System. I’ve stated on other posts just how intrusive the AS/S is on my 2017 LT sedan and that the dealer told me it’s normal. “REALLY” ?. Anyway read my post from yesterday on the thread “Smart Stop Start review, Auto Stop Start delete”. I put that module in and no longer have to drive in “L6” ?. It has a couple of “Cons” but IMHO is well worth the money and is cheaper than the TRIFECTA Tune now offered to delete only the AS/S.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts